Originally posted by Niners99:
yeah, its ALEX who chooses not to throw deep.
Alex does what hes told. you think he has free reign of the playcalling? hes wearing a wristband. he probably has a small handful of audibles to choose from if he sees a certain defensive scheme at the line, but for the most part I think hes doing as hes told.
the notion that he doesnt throw deep because hes "scared" is ignorant. we just dont have the pass catchers to throw deep a whole lot. Ginn and Williams can burn, but Ginn has hands of stone, and Williams is still very raw. Davis gets double covered on every play, and also has hands of stone. same with Braylon. Crabtree isnt fast enough.
We dont have that fast guy who can leap up and pull deep balls down. you need that kind of guy, otherwise youre going to be throwing alot of picks. its not smart playcalling. Its never been a question of whether Smith has the "balls" to throw deep, or the ability. All his WR need to have already beaten the defender, and then get a PERFECTLY thrown ball, or else they cant make the play.
easy there killer........By "balls" I'm saying he appears overly worried about turning the ball over. He has a right to be too. As u mentioned, some of his pass catchers have horrible hands. Ginn has had several bounce off his hands this season, 1 even went right to a defender for a INT.
I never said he calls the plays and I never said he doesn't do what he is told...... I think he plays to conservative at times, just my opinion. I wasn't hanging that loss on him or calling him out.
[ Edited by AKfanster on Dec 13, 2011 at 6:23 PM ]


Yeah, he wants them KO'd out the playoffs!