There are 227 users in the forums

***SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS VS. WASHINGTON REDSKINS GAMEDAY THREAD ***

Shop Find 49ers gear online
They have some injuries but it still won't be easy.
  • lyer
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:
I know I sound like a broken record when it comes to Goldson, but if he'd just make an effort to wrap the guy up rather than do that shoulder barge thing, he'd be a lot better off. Hard tackles don't seem to draw that flag, hard hits seem to get it every time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4utf-X0qJT0
Originally posted by VA49er:
Goldson was not a helmet to helmet hit. I thought it was clean. He lead with his forearms. I'm also at a loss for how there was enough evidence to say that Gore was not in on one TD and then suddenly there was not enough evidence to show he was in the next play? That Goldson hit is a big deal IMO. It should be a demoralizer for the other team and it should have left them out of FG range. Instead 15 free yards.

This. He lead with his forearm. My point as to why penalties should be reviewable.
Give each team 2 opportunities.just like a regular challenge.
I know I sound like a broken record when it comes to Goldson, but if he'd just make an effort to wrap the guy up rather than do that shoulder barge thing, he'd be a lot better off. Hard tackles don't seem to draw that flag, hard hits seem to get it every time.

One difference between Willis and Goldson...Willis hits hard but wraps and isn't just going for a knockout.
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by QBguru:
the officiating has been bad all year long, IMO.

HOWEVER, that hit is a penalty, each and every time, whether we like it or not. Goldson knows that. He can't do that. It's not fair, its stupid, but that's the way it is. Every single officiating crew is going to call that a penalty.

I seen the replay a times and goldson hit him with his forearm. Thats fine. Call it a penalty but as I said these penalties MUST be reviewable because its gonna cost a team a game soon.

there are too many stoppages in the game already. every time i blinked today it was another commercial. players need to learn the rules and play accordingly. that's just how it is. ideally the refs will call a clean game, but the players need to make sure they are playing within the rules. we don't have to like the rule changes--i certainly think Goldson's hit should be clean--but when it comes down to it, you know they are going to call that every time so you just can't do it. i don't think reviewing penalties will benefit the game in any way.

You wont be saying that the NFL shouldnt review penalties if we lose a big game because the refs call a penalty on a legal hit.
So what if a game is longer than normal? An extra 10-15 minutes isn't going to ruin the game. Take the refs out of the game more and the let the team determine the outcome.

yes i will. as much i like that replay helps get things right, for the most part, i still think that officiating is a human element of the game and that not having replay isn't the end of the world. just because a fan can see how things go after looking at an HD slow motion replay from a bunch of different angles doesn't mean that its an injustice if the refs, watching it unfold in real time, from one angle, with human eyes, don't see the exact same thing.

penalties are not always clear cut like other reviewable issues like possession, or whether a player is in bounds, or whatever. And if you can review penalties, can you review plays where penalties weren't called? "Oh hey ref there was a hold on that play go look at it again." That's just getting petty and stupid. The refs can do better but when it comes down to it we just need to let them do their jobs. Its a part of the sport.

I understand what your saying bro but damn the refs have gotten that illegal hit call wrong A LOT this season. It's getting rediculous bro.
Originally posted by Shorteous:
I hope they stick with Beck one more week!!

That's the expectation in town. Basically it sounds like Beck is in for at least another week. The thinking goes like this: You know what you're gonna get with Grossman--a big steaming pile of turnovers and a fat, immobile target in the pocket. On the other hand, the Shanahans are still trying to figure out what Beck brings to the table behind a really banged up O-line. If nothing else, Beck can scramble and it seems reasonable to expect that vs. our front seven that scrambling ability will be an important aspect of the Shanahans' decision.

That being said, I'm couldn't agree more with The Chozen's post above mine. We'd be foolish to look past the Skins--and I'm sure Coach Harbaugh will show the team a Saints/Rams highlight reel.
[ Edited by BubbaParisMVP on Oct 30, 2011 at 8:03 PM ]
there are too many stoppages in the game already. every time i blinked today it was another commercial. players need to learn the rules and play accordingly. that's just how it is. ideally the refs will call a clean game, but the players need to make sure they are playing within the rules. we don't have to like the rule changes--i certainly think Goldson's hit should be clean--but when it comes down to it, you know they are going to call that every time so you just can't do it. i don't think reviewing penalties will benefit the game in any way.

So what do you want Goldson to do, hug the guy and give him a kiss? Come on, your job as a safety is to separate the player from the ball. As long as you don't spear him with your helmet, it is legal. Goldson's hit was shoulder to chest, legal.
Originally posted by TheChozen:
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:
This is going to be a dog fight. I don't think we will run at Washington, so this game is on Alex Smith's shoulders.

The more we win, the bigger target on our backs. More and more games will be intense with teams wanting to knock us off.
6 teams already tried to knock us off. not worried about that. as long as the niners keep their focus and dont get big headed they are gonna steam roll their way into the playoffs
I understand what your saying bro but damn the refs have gotten that illegal hit call wrong A LOT this season. It's getting rediculous bro.

they haven't gotten it wrong, that's how they are calling it now. it sucks but that's the reality.

Originally posted by DynastyPart2:
So what do you want Goldson to do, hug the guy and give him a kiss? Come on, your job as a safety is to separate the player from the ball. As long as you don't spear him with your helmet, it is legal. Goldson's hit was shoulder to chest, legal.

i want him to wrap up and tackle in a manner that won't get flagged by the refs. they've been calling it this way for over a year now, its time for him to realize that. At the same time, I want him to do what he does; the physical intimidation he provides is valuable, even when it does occasionally "cross the line."
spilling es gitting otricious os will! (ispiciolly by naabs)

Originally posted by lyer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4utf-X0qJT0

No fair, man! You can't use a hit on a QB as an example.

That was a pretty awful call, btw.
[ Edited by BubbaParisMVP on Oct 30, 2011 at 8:10 PM ]

they haven't gotten it wrong, that's how they are calling it now. it sucks but that's the reality.

Originally posted by DynastyPart2:

i want him to wrap up and tackle in a manner that won't get flagged by the refs. they've been calling it this way for over a year now, its time for him to realize that. At the same time, I want him to do what he does; the physical intimidation he provides is valuable, even when it does occasionally "cross the line."

How have they not gotten it wrong? That goldson hit was legal.
The clay Matthews hit last week was legal and it was called a penalty. Just to mention one of about three or four calls of unnecessary roughness that shouldn't have been called.
how about the 3rd and goal where Gore got in and they turned it down? i think fouts even said it got in on the air.
Originally posted by Bryant4everYoung:
That hit on Alex should have been a penalty according to the way the Refs were calling them.

This.

Alex had slid on the ground, and a Browns player led with his helmet and smacked Alex in the face. Why no flag for personal foul there?

Goldson's hit was 100% legal. You have two guys who are running head on into each other at full speed. If Goldson slows down to "cleanly" make the tackle, the reciever catches the ball and gets a first down. Goldson's job as a safety is to patrol the field and dislodge the ball from the receivers. Goodell and his Zebras are ruining this game.

I also spotted numerous blocks in the back on Kickoffs and Punt Returns that went uncalled.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Honestly have to put that on Goldson, he should know that the refs will look for a reason to throw the flag and all he does is look for the hard hits or highlight hits. If he would actually play the ball most of the time he'd probably get more passes defensed. This guy makes a lot of bad reads and can't wait to draft a rookie to replace him, his ball skills suck ass.
Share 49ersWebzone