There are 74 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

***SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS VS. DETROIT LIONS GAMEDAY THREAD ***

Originally posted by jcashen87:
^ He touched on Alex's high passes, ive been no alex supporter but id say there were about as many drops as high passes. Alex is a lot different this year though and the clutch poise he displayed yesterday among other things this season has me believing he might just be able to turn it around with Harbaugh.

Alex was quoted in saying he threw a couple bad on purpose to avoid sacks and a couple he was just off on the throw.
Good bullets!

It was a tough, messy game for us and we won despite the incredible penalties right out of the blocks! Showed character that the team may not have had in the past. It is popular to give Harbaugh all the credit but I believe Smith's calm demeanor, sometimes too calm, really helps this team maintain composure.

There were times when too many linemen and others were wandering around during official timeouts for my taste but Smith gathered them back and didn't have to say much. May turn out to be a truly good leader...guess adversity does develop this quality.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Oct 17, 2011 at 3:04 PM ]
  • BROWN
  • Veteran
Loved that Anthony Davis put Suh in his place on the Frank Gores first attempt at the RZ (after the long run). Suh got up started complaining, Davis had his helmet off, was laughing in his face! Just loved it!
I, too, was wondering why VD was not utilized as much in the pass until I re-watched the game and seen him on blocking assignment for most of the game...

Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Good stuff although I think you're far too soft on Alex. There were of couple of drops, but there were also several passes that sailed on him...including a couple where the receiver bailed him out with a great catch. It goes both ways. I don't think he played well at all, but he definitely had limited weapons at his disposal.

Not to turn this into an Alex Smith thread but if you look at individual performances, he still would probably rank up there pretty high given what was required of them. He certainly was much less accurate today and he was bailed out a few times. It was probably his most inaccurate game of the year but in the end, like a 9er QB of the past, he made the play when it mattered most and never lost his composure. Let's just keep the big picture in focus. There were 2, even 3 TD's we could have had.

Gore was probably our best performer and we see 141 yards...but we fail to remember the three+ dropped passes, maybe a blitz pick-up, his inability to run laterally which lead to tackles for loss and put us in 2nd and longs, etc. My point? Big OVERLL picture.
[ Edited by NCommand on Oct 17, 2011 at 3:00 PM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Good stuff although I think you're far too soft on Alex. There were of couple of drops, but there were also several passes that sailed on him...including a couple where the receiver bailed him out with a great catch. It goes both ways. I don't think he played well at all, but he definitely had limited weapons at his disposal.

Not to turn this into an Alex Smith thread but if you look at individual performances, he still would probably rank up there pretty high given what was required of them. He certainly was much less accurate today and he was bailed out a few times. It was probably his most inaccurate game of the year but in the end, like a 9er QB of the past, he made the play when it mattered most and never lost his composure. Let's just keep the big picture in focus. There were 2, even 3 TD's we could have had.

Gore was probably our best performer and we see 141 yards...but we fail to remember the three+ dropped passes, maybe a blitz pick-up, his inability to run laterally which lead to several tackles for loss, etc. My point? Big OVERLL picture.

Stafford wasn't very accurate either and we dropped 2 INTs.
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by WWFGD:
Great read!!!

This

Good observations NC!
Thanks all!!!
As mentioned before Im not tyring to turn this into an Alex Smith thread but I think he played well despite the numbers. Walkers drop and Ginn stubbling def makes his stats look alot worse than they should have been. He threw some high passes but so does every QB he is human. It was a great TEAM win and also a good game for the coaches to use to teach from. The game shouldnt have been as close as it was cant wait until we get Braylon in the mix.
Shout out to OL coach Mike Solari as well
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Shout out to OL coach Mike Solari as well

This.
Don't forget Mr. Wham himself D. Walker.
http://www.49erswebzone.com/news/goto.php?id=37463 This is pretty interesting
welcome to last week!
I think B. Edwards will be a great help for A. Smith. I think having only Crabtree and Walker to throw to left him uncomfortable. Ginn and Williams didn't seem to help him a lot. Then with Davis in to block also took another receiver out of play. But all together the game plan worked out to what it was supposed to do.

I found myself at the end of the game cringing thinking about how last years Niners would blow that 4th down opportunity. But his years team is winning those tight plays, and thus the tight games as well. So for my mind the Niners are learning that they can win, and will win. I think that is the difference between this years team and the last 2-3 years is that they are learning to win.

Then we can't say enough about the coaches devising plans to take advantage of the other teams weaknesses, and covering up our own weaknesses. Then Aldon Smith and Culliver and Hunter/Miller have really solidified a couple of positions that have made all of the changes in the world for the team.