There are 305 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

***SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS VS. DETROIT LIONS GAMEDAY THREAD ***

Play calling will be paramont to winning the battle in the trenches. This game could turn into lots of 3 and outs on both offensive teams. I do believe we can go into the Lions den and win this one. 17-14 niners on top.
i truly believe that Jim needs to get the team out of town by the end of the day to Youngstown. getting acclimated to the timezone got us ready for the Eagles. if we stay put in the bay than getting any advantage from the Lions playing on MFN will be a wash.
I have watched a lot of us and A TON of Cj, this season. Cj is literally "unstopable" from a "coverage" pov. What I mean by that is when Stafford is pressured he just throws it up towards Cj, and often times it is a catch. So it really comes down to the fact that scheme not "pure pressure" is the way i think you slow down Cj. Meaning bring 5 drop 6 into unconventional morphing coverages and make Matt Stafford think. The more you confuse Stafford, the more ineffective he is. The other solid thing about that coverage scheme, js often times once the Qb starts quedtioning what he is seeing, he is much more hesitant to throw and turn the ball over again. I really think coverage not blitzing is the way to stop megatron. We could also see man coverage against him most plays, even when everyone else plays a zone. That tends to really.deter and confuse QBS.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:
I think we are a better team than the Lions. If you go position by position where are they better than us??

D line (pass rush) and WR

I agree and it makes my point, we are better at the other positions overall. If we don't turn it over we win. I think we slow down their pass rush with screens and quick slants and we make tham put together longs drives to score.
best way...do not let them in the redzone period. if they get to the redzone its all over.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 24,965
The only way to "stop" Megatron is putting him in the locker room. That being said, we have to put constant pressure on Stafford and hope to slow them both down.
Originally posted by redrathman:
Originally posted by Joecool:
#99 will stop Megetron.

Don't we have a similar guy who's 6'5 and runs a 4.38 forty?

Nope, unless Staley got super fast in the offseason.

I think he means VD. I don't think VD is 6'5"..That said VD doesn't have Megatron's hands.

But we have to control the clock and keep the QB on his heels. It's the only way I see us winning this game. Especially with Morgan out. Before, I would have argued that we had a shot at beating them in a shoot out. One star wr vs a balanced team offense.

This is going to be a real test for our line.
This is a team that cut blocks! I love it, we are not afraid to go to the knees of a big DE, they hate that, it slows them down, it makes them think, it takes them out of their game! We generally have more trouble with speed rushers, power guys are we eat up, our O-line has to practice against J. Smith! They are used to power rushers!
  • Huego
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 176
I'm not worried about the lions. they should be 2-2 right now...vikings and cowboys had 20 points against them.

We have the speed on the defensive side of the ball now to contain their speedsters on that turf.

To be honest, I wouldn't be upset over a loss here...I just don't want Alex Smith injured. Suh is a monster. Our oline needs to take pride in protecting Alex in this game.
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by redrathman:
Originally posted by Joecool:
#99 will stop Megetron.

Don't we have a similar guy who's 6'5 and runs a 4.38 forty?

Nope, unless Staley got super fast in the offseason.

I think he means VD. I don't think VD is 6'5"..That said VD doesn't have Megatron's hands.

But we have to control the clock and keep the QB on his heels. It's the only way I see us winning this game. Especially with Morgan out. Before, I would have argued that we had a shot at beating them in a shoot out. One star wr vs a balanced team offense.

This is going to be a real test for our line.

VD's next goal should be to practice jump ball fades. If he masters that, with Edwards on one side and VD on the other, it's a tough matchup in the red zone.
Originally posted by nvchamp9ers:
I have watched a lot of us and A TON of Cj, this season. Cj is literally "unstopable" from a "coverage" pov. What I mean by that is when Stafford is pressured he just throws it up towards Cj, and often times it is a catch. So it really comes down to the fact that scheme not "pure pressure" is the way i think you slow down Cj. Meaning bring 5 drop 6 into unconventional morphing coverages and make Matt Stafford think. The more you confuse Stafford, the more ineffective he is. The other solid thing about that coverage scheme, js often times once the Qb starts quedtioning what he is seeing, he is much more hesitant to throw and turn the ball over again. I really think coverage not blitzing is the way to stop megatron. We could also see man coverage against him most plays, even when everyone else plays a zone. That tends to really.deter and confuse QBS.
This, I'd love to see them put culliver on megatron, give the rookie a test. Plus rodgers may be too small to cover this dude.
merrille hodge just broke down how to get the Lions front 7 tired out by using the cowboys game as an example. so basically using screens, draws and few other plays to get them lions big boys chase all day. therefore, rendering them useless.
Originally posted by Negrodamus:
merrille hodge just broke down how to get the Lions front 7 tired out by using the cowboys game as an example. so basically using screens, draws and few other plays to get them lions big boys chase all day. therefore, rendering them useless.

I think we will do a decent job offensively. It's stopping CJ that I'm worried about.

Every week we always hear, "oh man this is the game where (insert crazy maniacal defensive pass rusher/DB/player here) pwns us dood!" and it never happens. We do a decent job of keeping defensive stars in check.

OFFENSIVE STARS on the other hand....not so much. Romo beat us. Vick LOST BUT had 416 yards passing. DeSean Jackson smoked us pretty good.

If we can CONTAIN CJ or at least produce enough offensively to offset what Detroit's offense does...then we can win. Don't really think there is any other way other than a shoot out. And while I love this team and am more confident than ever...there are some match ups you just can't win. I fear this is one of them.
Last two weeks, Gore said Eagles gave up, recently Davis said Bucs gave up. IIRC, both of them are captains. If we win vs. Lions, which Niners player will say Lions gave up?

My prediction: Willis will say it.
Originally posted by 49ersFan831:
or just blitz stafford and knock him out for the season, he is very fragile, maybe this is the game where he gets seriously injured(fingers crossed)jk.

Knock him out, have shaun hill come in and out duel alex smith?