LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 278 users in the forums

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS VS. SEATTLE SEAHAWKS GAMEDAY THREAD (WEEK 1, 2011)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
I think Seattle was no.2 last year at stopping the run. That's why they put a big emphasis on resigning Red Bryant and Brandon Mebane. Those f**king animals are huge in the middle. Not to mention Earl Thomas and Chancellor were just waiting at the line for Gore to run

Which is why some deep balls were open and not thrown to. We didn't take much advantage of Earl Thomas' over aggressive play. Or we did but the ball wasn't thrown.

Agreed
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by susweel:
Im happy we won but I will not praise a mediocre at best QB effort.

We disagree on his performance, then. Great ball placement, gutsy block to free Gore, ballsy end zone run, 75% completion percentage, no sacks (good pocket presence) and no turnovers. I'd call that a good performance, not "mediocre at best." Look at it this way: If VD, Gore or Morgan keep their feet, the yardage gets close to 200 and Smith's has a TD throw. Would you call that a good performance?

Those are big "ifs" and changes the game.

Not really. ONE broken ankle tackle.

But see how that one act would have changed the stat line? Smith did well re: things within his control. He cannot control a WR/RB/TE failing to capitalize on a good throw.

No your just blaming them for not making a super star caliber play. Okay how about missing Crabs wide open in the endzone, and consistently dumping the ball down on third down short of the first down marker.

Not at all. Keeping your feet (VD) is not super star caliber.

Watch the highlights with an open mind today. You might see that Smith played better than you give him credit for, and that some of your perceptions are not founded in the plays of the game itself.

The team won the game and Smith did what was asked of him. I'll take it....this week.

So what would you grade him ??

Dont get me wrong Im very happy we won but it wasn't pretty and he didnt play above average.
Come on guys let's face it, Alex is no Tom Brady, but he did a great job of managing the game for us! He made the right decisions, some very good throws, and he even took a hit to get a TD. He was solid! Why do people want to complain about stupid little details? Seattles D was swarming to the ball so none our receivers were able really make a play after the catch.

We disagree on his performance, then. Great ball placement, gutsy block to free Gore, ballsy end zone run, 75% completion percentage, no sacks (good pocket presence) and no turnovers. I'd call that a good performance, not "mediocre at best." Look at it this way: If VD, Gore or Morgan keep their feet, the yardage gets close to 200 and Smith's has a TD throw. Would you call that a good performance?

But see how that one act would have changed the stat line? Smith did well re: things within his control. He cannot control a WR/RB/TE failing to capitalize on a good throw.

No your just blaming them for not making a super star caliber play. Okay how about missing Crabs wide open in the endzone, and consistently dumping the ball down on third down short of the first down marker.

watch that play again, when he threw the ball to VD Crabs wasnt open yet, Alex would have had to hold the ball a little longer to get Crabs that ball but if he would have held it any longer he would have got sacked cuz Cleamons was right there. John Lynch noted that during the broadcast as well.
i know it was probably not there a lot, but i was hoping to see at least 3-5 quick slants. i only saw one to VD . did i miss any?
So what would you grade him ??

Dont get me wrong Im very happy we won but it wasn't pretty and he didnt play above average.

He had a good game...so "good." Not "mediocre at best."

He did what was asked of him and looked better than in the past. Again however, it was ONE game. I need to see consistency and improvement to crown his ass.
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
I think Seattle was no.2 last year at stopping the run. That's why they put a big emphasis on resigning Red Bryant and Brandon Mebane. Those f**king animals are huge in the middle. Not to mention Earl Thomas and Chancellor were just waiting at the line for Gore to run

well on every play that wasn't a trick running play or counter, (watch the replay) their safteys were already cheating over in the direction of teh run, right before the snap.
Bottom line is Alex played damn near flawless with the looks and play calls he got. Not to mention a couple of those incomplete passes should have received more effort from the receivers. Have we had attempted to throw the ball more in the red zone and the PI on Braylon, Alex would have had close to 200yds and atleast 1 or 2 tds through the air.

Did you ever think about the fact that we constantly set ourselves up for failure on 3rd down by running it on 1st and 2nd down?

Or do you expect Smith to overcome 3rd and 12s all day? The circumstances this week ( offense not gelled yet, not having learned enough of the playbook yet to put forth a complete balanced gameplan) were far too complicated to just look at the stat line and say 'oh, he had a bad/good/mediocre game as a QB'

My point is that we need to move on from this game. We cannot expect to see these types of games because that is not what Harbaugh envisioned. Week 1 was in a way a set back for Harbaugh, and I'm just glad that despite the circumstance, we were able to pull out a TEAM win. I don't care if the offense didn't win it vs the Seahawks on September 11th, 2011. I'm content with a TEAM win, and look forward to Harbaugh moving more and more towards his goal to establish this team with a flexible/balanced WCO attack, and an aggressive, dominating defense.

Rome wasn't built in a day.

Originally posted by valrod33:

watch that play again, when he threw the ball to VD Crabs wasnt open yet, Alex would have had to hold the ball a little longer to get Crabs that ball but if he would have held it any longer he would have got sacked cuz Cleamons was right there. John Lynch noted that during the broadcast as well.

Exactly! And not only that, there was a DL in Alex's view where he couldn't see Crabs BECOMING open. Just 'cause Crabbie has a teasy in the endzone, doesn't mean that Alex saw him. He didn't.

So....

The game plan was win the games you are supposed to win, no matter how it looks
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

That also loses games you are supposed to win and loses all games you are not supposed to win. We've seen this game plan and it doesn't work.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

That also loses games you are supposed to win and loses all games you are not supposed to win. We've seen this game plan and it doesn't work.

Do you really expect the same gameplan from Harbaugh and co week in and week out?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by ninertico:

Originally posted by valrod33:

Exactly! And not only that, there was a DL in Alex's view where he couldn't see Crabs BECOMING open. Just 'cause Crabbie has a teasy in the endzone, doesn't mean that Alex saw him. He didn't.

So....
Wow so you guys are making excuses for him missing a wide open player in the endzone. You guys need to wake up and stop looking at this with home eyes.

this is comical
Wow so you guys are making excuses for him missing a wide open player in the endzone. You guys need to wake up and stop looking at this with home eyes.

this is comical

i agree with this post. Smith needs to be able to make that throw. The excuses for checking it down are pathetic on this play.
Share 49ersWebzone