There are 99 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS VS. SEATTLE SEAHAWKS GAMEDAY THREAD (WEEK 1, 2011)

Originally posted by hateroids84:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
A win is a win, and even though it was ugly, the Niners are 1-0. However, they are going to have to get a lot better if they are going to be competitive this season. The special teams really bailed out the squad today. Putrid running game, too many short passes, and a second half defense that was pretty lethargic. The Seahawks probably pull out the win without Ginn's 102 yarder today, as the momentum was clearly on their side.

totally agree. We did WIN though. Alex needs to improve his redzone efficiency if we beat Dallas next week.

Right the guy who got us our only offensive TD today needs to improve his "red zone effishunsy."

Stuff like this makes me wonder if people a) watch the games and/or b) really follow this team. Alex supporter/non-supporter...the one thing we can all agree on is he gets the job done in the red zone when given the chance. The #s don't lie. I suspect we'll open it up in the red zone as the season goes along (I hope). That throw to Braylon was a good throw if it werent for the PI. 9/10 times, Braylon catches that.

The LAST thing you need to worry about is Alex in the red zone. Now...BEFORE the red zone...whol diff discussion.
damn crabtree is hurt again? POOP
Originally posted by Ajanke:
damn crabtree is hurt again? POOP

We gotta resign Edwards to a stable contract and trade Crabs off after this season.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Gore didn't look very good today. He seemed to go down too easily. This was probably already discussed, but anyone know what happened on that long ball to Davis? Did he hear footsteps or did he stop because he was held? I've seen him stop short of balls before when being lead into a safety so I'm worried that Davis might be playing scared and be having alligator arms. Hope to not see that kind of thing again from him.

Looked like he got scared and knew that he was a free target if he caught that. The guy was running full speed at him. Looked like a good pass too, but can't really tell on that.
It's nice to see the reaction on the Seahawks forums...LOL...They're already chanting "SUCK for LUCK" LMAO

http://www.seahawkblue.com/showthread.php?26974-Official-Game-Thread-Week-1-SF-vs.-SEAHAWKS!/page54
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Gore didn't look very good today. He seemed to go down too easily. This was probably already discussed, but anyone know what happened on that long ball to Davis? Did he hear footsteps or did he stop because he was held? I've seen him stop short of balls before when being lead into a safety so I'm worried that Davis might be playing scared and be having alligator arms. Hope to not see that kind of thing again from him.

Looked like he got scared and knew that he was a free target if he caught that. The guy was running full speed at him. Looked like a good pass too, but can't really tell on that.

Ideally that pass should have gone a little to the outside. Davis could have caught that pass as is. But hard to criticized when he got a safety coming full speed to blow him up. It's a 16 games season not the SB.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Ideally that pass should have gone a little to the outside. Davis could have caught that pass as is. But hard to criticized when he got a safety coming full speed to blow him up. It's a 16 games season not the SB.

You don't stop short of a pass like that because you are scared to get hit. Guys like that don't last long in the league. As one of the premiere tight ends in the league, you have to go up and at least attempt to make that play. I sure hope Davis doesn't continue to be hesitant going over the middle or being lead into a defender because I know he has been decked before by some safeties.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Forgot to add what I was most pissed about today.....FRICKIN RUN BLOCKING WAS HORRIBLE!!!!
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Forgot to add what I was most pissed about today.....FRICKIN RUN BLOCKING WAS HORRIBLE!!!!

the only good thing on offense, suprsisingly, was the friggin pass blocking LOL

You don't stop short of a pass like that because you are scared to get hit. Guys like that don't last long in the league. As one of the premiere tight ends in the league, you have to go up and at least attempt to make that play. I sure hope Davis doesn't continue to be hesitant going over the middle or being lead into a defender because I know he has been decked before by some safeties.

Football is a tough game. I respect your view and agree with you. Just not willing to be as critical as some here of Davis on that particular play. I think had the pass been closer to Davis he would have tried to hang on and took the hit. As it is, he would have to stretched out for it and be much more vulnerable.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Sep 11, 2011 at 8:08 PM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

the only good thing on offense, suprsisingly, was the friggin pass blocking LOL

LOL true, which made me wonder why we didn't pass more. Like Walsh use to say, you gotta step up the run with the pass sometimes.
"I always feel that a football team has a chance to gain its biggest improvement from Week 1 to Week 2," Harbaugh said, "whether that's Week 1 of the preseason to Week 2 of the preseason games, Week 1 of the regular season to Week 2, or playoff Game 1 to Game 2. I'm sure it won't be too many hours until I start focusing on that."

And this, my fellow Niner fans, is the reason I am behind Harbaugh 100%. The guy is always looking to improve, to get better, to go back and see what went wrong and try new things.

The 2011 Niners are caught in a very complicated situation: They do have above average to good talent on this team. However, the lockout was a huge disadvantage for a team that is still learning a very complicated offense. All I ask for at this point is week to week improvement, as Harbaugh said.

It was but to be fair...the Seahawks did a really good job on run defense. They obviously game planned for it. But yeah...run blocking wasn't as strong as we'd like.
Football is a tough game. I respect your view and agree with you. Just not willing to be as critical as some here of Davis on that particular play. I think had the pass been closer to Davis he would have tried to hang on and took the hit. As it is, he would have stretched out for it and be much more vulnerable.

Yeah I see what you're saying, he would have been very vulnerable. I'm curious to hear if any reporters asked him about this play. I think this same kind of thing happened last year against the Eagles and a reporter asked Vernon about it after the game and he really didn't have an answer for it. I love Vernon Davis and just want to see him makes all the plays that he is capable of.
We can't be so conservative... that's one of the things that irritated me. I figured because it was the first game.