LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 248 users in the forums

You guys hear what Deion said about the 9ers defensive backfield?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Sorry 1994 Championship game.
The best he ever played with maybe, but not the best ever. Dion can hype it up with his talk. I wouldn't put too much stock on what Deion said. He did made us and our secondary better no question. Would not be surprising if he meant the group was the best because he was on it. He deserved to be in Canton. A great combination of speed, agility, and massive confidence to be a great shutdown corner. He would bait QBs into throwing the ball with a little cushion on a receiver, but would closed fast once the ball was in the air.

Love him or hate em, have got to appreciate the immense talent.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Aug 7, 2011 at 6:13 AM ]
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
The best he ever played with maybe, but not the best ever. Dion can hype it up with his talk. I wouldn't put too much stock on what Deion said. He did made us and our secondary better no question. Would not be surprising if he meant the group was the best because he was on it. He deserved to be in Canton. A great combination of speed, agility, and massive confidence to be a great shutdown corner. He would bait QBs into throwing the ball with a little cushion on a receiver, but would closed fast once the ball was in the air.

Very talented, for sure. Very confident, no doubt. I would take a young Ronnie Lott over him at CB anyday. Both were ball hawks, but Lott would knock your dick off. Ask the Rams about the 2001 SB against the Pats, you stop making plays as a WR when you are playing scared and cautious.
Um, that '84 team beat the PANTS off of the most prolific passing team in football history, led by arguably the best pure passer in history. '94 kicked ass, no doubt--#2 Niner secondary ever--but Stan Humphries simply doesn't compare. And I say this with the firm belief that Deion is the best cover corner ever--including Mike Haynes and Lester Hayes, whom I watched and thought were the best ever before him. Oh--and by the way--you younger guys should check out some Eric Wright highligts sometime--he was sick.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:

Very talented, for sure. Very confident, no doubt. I would take a young Ronnie Lott over him at CB anyday. Both were ball hawks, but Lott would knock your dick off. Ask the Rams about the 2001 SB against the Pats, you stop making plays as a WR when you are playing scared and cautious.

I think they may have played the same position at one time, but they are two different player, with different set of talent and mentality to the game. Talent wise Deion is more gifted than Lott. Not to say that Lott doesn't have any. What separate Lott from Deion or any other NFL players is his approach to playing the game. He would give himself up for the game. The ability to have that mentality alone makes him great. Where as Deion wouldn't give himself up for anything other than maybe Deion -- sometimes. There's really nothing wrong with that as long as Deion has the talent to back it up. Just don't expect Deion to make that TD saving tackle against a 260ish TE.
Originally posted by ajsjohnson:
Um, that '84 team beat the PANTS off of the most prolific passing team in football history, led by arguably the best pure passer in history. '94 kicked ass, no doubt--#2 Niner secondary ever--but Stan Humphries simply doesn't compare. And I say this with the firm belief that Deion is the best cover corner ever--including Mike Haynes and Lester Hayes, whom I watched and thought were the best ever before him. Oh--and by the way--you younger guys should check out some Eric Wright highligts sometime--he was sick.

Damn shame he got injured. I think he'd have been a HOFer if he played out a full, healthy career.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:

I think they may have played the same position at one time, but they are two different player, with different set of talent and mentality to the game. Talent wise Deion is more gifted than Lott. Not to say that Lott doesn't have any. What separate Lott from Deion or any other NFL players is his approach to playing the game. He would give himself up for the game. The ability to have that mentality alone makes him great. Where as Deion wouldn't give himself up for anything other than maybe Deion -- sometimes. There's really nothing wrong with that as long as Deion has the talent to back it up. Just don't expect Deion to make that TD saving tackle against a 260ish TE.

That's kinda what I was saying. No one is saying that Lott was a pure cover man like Deion, but his INT numbers were very impressive, he just used more knowledge, instinct and guts to get those numbers. Additionally, he put the fear into the offense. Anybody who carried the ball knew he was out there somewhere. Additionally, Wright could stick to any WR and still be willing to come up and tackle. Lott/Wright > Sanders/Davis.
  • dj43
Originally posted by zeppfan1:
The '84 backfield was was just as good if not better. Lott, Wright, Williamson, Hicks

Better. Lott was Lott but Eric Wright would have been HOF if not for injury. Williamson just destroyed people and Hicks was one of the most intuitive DBs of his time. I'll take that group over the Hanks, McDonald, Davis group anytime.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
The interception by Eric Davis for a touchdown in the 1992 NFC Championship game is one of the great 49er plays.

you mean 94 Championship game
  • Veteran
Lott, Williamson, Eric Davis and Dwight Hicks best ever.

Chicken dance after Merton recovered a fumble for a td at Cowboys stadium after Deion left to Dallas = CHILLS
misleading title, he didnt say anything about our current backfield.
Originally posted by 190836:
Lott, Williamson, Eric Davis and Dwight Hicks best ever.

Eric WRIGHT?
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
Chicken dance after Merton recovered a fumble for a td at Cowboys stadium after Deion left to Dallas = CHILLS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ_H8B8E5tQ

Here you go Tony
Originally posted by Jamespowers:
Originally posted by TonyStarks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ_H8B8E5tQ

Here you go Tony

Share 49ersWebzone