LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 236 users in the forums

The best FA signing of Rodgers,Goodwin, Whitner, or Edwards?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

The best FA signing of Rodgers,Goodwin, Whitner, or Edwards?

Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by Gore_21:
That is tough. It's between Edwards, Rogers and Goodwin. Goodwin will be the most underrated signing and probably the best long term. Rogers is the most needed signing. Edwards is probably the best player of the bunch. If Rogers and Edwards only stay a year it's hard to rank them over Goodwin. If they sign long term they could pass him up.

for me it is Goodwin, based on the 3yr deal. If Braylon has a unbelievable year, then Its him, we extend him, 4yrs, lots of $$$ and everyone is happy. We would have our TRUE #1 WR FINALLY, lol.

Rogers I am fine with the 1yr deal. I was in favor of a 3yr deal for Braylon, like maybe 15M with like 8M Guaranteed, or maybe 20M max that would included incentives. But you cant blame him for wanting a 1yr deal, nor can u blame Baalke, its one of those low risk, high reward contract.

He breaks out, tag him, then negotiate with him, while having the insurance of getting 2 1sts if he leaves. But honestly, if Edwards has a great yr, I would rather keep Braylon over 2 1sts, sounds crazy But I love this signing.

If u asked me, Floyd or Edwards, yeah I said Floyd, But I had no issue with Braylon, either one would work. Now I am more excited with the fact like said, he can be a true #1, where floyd is a #2.

SO TRUE....Edwards....we can always tag him, or extend him he is a very solid #1 wr, he kicked @ss on the browns....i repeat the browns with anderson, and did very well on the jets with sanchez, both of which are not good passers.

The pro bowl C will help our weak rg whoeve it may be a lot more than baas. So our whole left side is prettysolid, and hopefully the right side will improve.

rogers is a small upgrade over clements andwhitner is a small upgrade as well.

not to mention there is a small dropoff between franklin and soap, and spikes and bowman not to mention maybe no dropoff between lawson and smith.

our run d will suffer maybe10-2- yards a game but with macdonald and aldon smith, our pass rush will improve a lot more than our run D suffers.
Originally posted by E-49er:
Originally posted by DaFaro49ers:
We signed Aaron Rodgers? ?

LMFAO

Originally posted by elguapo:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by Gore_21:
That is tough. It's between Edwards, Rogers and Goodwin. Goodwin will be the most underrated signing and probably the best long term. Rogers is the most needed signing. Edwards is probably the best player of the bunch. If Rogers and Edwards only stay a year it's hard to rank them over Goodwin. If they sign long term they could pass him up.

for me it is Goodwin, based on the 3yr deal. If Braylon has a unbelievable year, then Its him, we extend him, 4yrs, lots of $$$ and everyone is happy. We would have our TRUE #1 WR FINALLY, lol.

Rogers I am fine with the 1yr deal. I was in favor of a 3yr deal for Braylon, like maybe 15M with like 8M Guaranteed, or maybe 20M max that would included incentives. But you cant blame him for wanting a 1yr deal, nor can u blame Baalke, its one of those low risk, high reward contract.

He breaks out, tag him, then negotiate with him, while having the insurance of getting 2 1sts if he leaves. But honestly, if Edwards has a great yr, I would rather keep Braylon over 2 1sts, sounds crazy But I love this signing.

If u asked me, Floyd or Edwards, yeah I said Floyd, But I had no issue with Braylon, either one would work. Now I am more excited with the fact like said, he can be a true #1, where floyd is a #2.

SO TRUE....Edwards....we can always tag him, or extend him he is a very solid #1 wr, he kicked @ss on the browns....i repeat the browns with anderson, and did very well on the jets with sanchez, both of which are not good passers.

The pro bowl C will help our weak rg whoeve it may be a lot more than baas. So our whole left side is prettysolid, and hopefully the right side will improve.

rogers is a small upgrade over clements andwhitner is a small upgrade as well.

not to mention there is a small dropoff between franklin and soap, and spikes and bowman not to mention maybe no dropoff between lawson and smith.

our run d will suffer maybe10-2- yards a game but with macdonald and aldon smith, our pass rush will improve a lot more than our run D suffers.

I love Goodwin, Braylon, Akers signings. Whitner Im happy with, its a cheap contract, not a lot guaranteed.

Madieu, ehh not guaranteed money at all.

Rogers I have hope for, i think he will do good.

I am worried about the ILB spot, not so much the DLine. Im confident with Smith and McDonald at Ends. Sopoaga hopefully improves.

So, I feel good about our team. Ive always said from the beginning, give it time, and not to overpay.

We added 3 players on 3yr deals, all at great prices. Thats what I call supplementing thru FA.

And McDonald getting the 5yr deal thru 2015 is great.
Originally posted by susweel:
All these guys are second choices after the really hot girls turned us down down I'm not really expecting much out of them. In reality they are not better then the men they are replacing.

So before everyone starts choking on Baalke's cock lets see if they can do anything.

Wow, Really......I wouldn't say these guys are second choices. Granted I have no insight but how do you or any of us know. Harbaugh and Baalke said they had a plan; that plan was not to over pay for FA whether they were ours or not. I'd like to think our front office (FO) did some homework. how do you they did not target some of these guys? Of course, I don't know the opposite either. But maybe part of the plan was knowing some quality (not the HOT name or High price) FA's would be available!
Maybe we did get turned down by some by I'd bet a dollar that FO had smart limits to spending and won't go beyond that. IF they did get the Hot Girl at THEIR price then you'd be praising them.

Seriously, they aren't better than who they are replacing???!!!!??
I'd say Godwin is better than Baas. Baas took the money and pay what the Giants did is NOT a smart move for one year of center experience. The Niners move was smarter, cheaper and I think we got a more experience and better center.

Lawson could never rush the passer and Aldon is tearing it up.

Goldson was inconsistent and Clements was not cutting it as a corner (yes, great against the run) now we have Donte W and M. Williams and C. Rodgers. I say that's better.

Braylon - better than Crabtree, at least he practices!

Takeo - Yes, I would have loved for him to stay - on a One Year contract and a good price. But more power to him, he wanted a longer contract (he got 3 years), there was no way we were going to give him that long. Smart move by FO and that's why you build through the draft (Bowman).

In my humble opinion, and in reality, I think they are better. I do agree though, we have to see it on the field.
Edwards. He's the best player of the bunch. I know that it's a simplistic answer, but it's easier to find players that are the caliber of the other guys than it is to find a guy like him.

Hopefully he can get his act together off of the field, but I'm not holding my breath.
1. Whitner
2. Rodgers
3. Akers
4. Goodwin
5. Edwards.

Fact.
Originally posted by BodyRocker:
All these guys are second choices after the really hot girls turned us down down I'm not really expecting much out of them. In reality they are not better then the men they are replacing.

So before everyone starts choking on Baalke's cock lets see if they can do anything.

Wow, Really......I wouldn't say these guys are second choices. Granted I have no insight but how do you or any of us know. Harbaugh and Baalke said they had a plan; that plan was not to over pay for FA whether they were ours or not. I'd like to think our front office (FO) did some homework. how do you they did not target some of these guys? Of course, I don't know the opposite either. But maybe part of the plan was knowing some quality (not the HOT name or High price) FA's would be available!
Maybe we did get turned down by some by I'd bet a dollar that FO had smart limits to spending and won't go beyond that. IF they did get the Hot Girl at THEIR price then you'd be praising them.

Seriously, they aren't better than who they are replacing???!!!!??
I'd say Godwin is better than Baas. Baas took the money and pay what the Giants did is NOT a smart move for one year of center experience. The Niners move was smarter, cheaper and I think we got a more experience and better center.

Lawson could never rush the passer and Aldon is tearing it up.

Goldson was inconsistent and Clements was not cutting it as a corner (yes, great against the run) now we have Donte W and M. Williams and C. Rodgers. I say that's better.

Braylon - better than Crabtree, at least he practices!

Takeo - Yes, I would have loved for him to stay - on a One Year contract and a good price. But more power to him, he wanted a longer contract (he got 3 years), there was no way we were going to give him that long. Smart move by FO and that's why you build through the draft (Bowman).

In my humble opinion, and in reality, I think they are better. I do agree though, we have to see it on the field.

in reality we improved....we got a lot more speed in the secondary and perhaps better coveage.....with whitner being just aberage in coverage but has speed and rogers is a lot faster than clements.

bowman is faster than spikes but maybe not as good in coverage

soap never had any pass rush and neither did franklin, so as long as soap can be good vs the run which he is, macdonald will provide a ot more pressure than soap would at DE

akers is a better kicker than nedney

Edwards is a vast improvement, out of all the fa wrs only holmes and vincent jackson are better and i would say edwards is just about as good as jackson if not better if he had rivers

Center is a tremendous upgrade. a pro bowl center compared to an average stater who will make our guards esp rg look better

SO IN REALITY, the team has improved in every asset......got alittle worse in run D and better in pass D and pass rush, notto mention Al OT better at wr OL.

case closed
I'd love to say Goodwin, but he played between two of the top guards in the league in NO. If he's as good next to Chilo as he was next to those guys, than I'll say Goodwin.

Until then, I say Whitner. He's not spectacular, but he's solid in coverage and tackles well. I feel the same about Rogers, but he's only a one year deal.

Just not an Edwards fan, but I'm open to conversion.
Offense: Goodwin because we needed a Center bad. We had none before that.

Defense: Whitner. Our safety was CJ Spillman. Enough said.
  • dj43
Center is the second most important position on the offense, after QB.

The center not only has to block, but also recognize defenses and make blocking calls. If he doesn't do his job, the entire play is likely blown up, OTOH, if he DOES his job, the play can at least get off to a positive start.

Goodwin is an experienced center who knows what it takes to win. That is huge for a young line that has had all kinds of trouble.

Rogers and Witner are nice additions to the defense but neither has the overall impact that a center has.

WRs depend on line blocking to give the QB time to throw the ball, hence Edwards takes a second seat.

Goodwin turns it around for the OL.

Nice homoerotic imagery there.

Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Offense: Goodwin because we needed a Center bad. We had none before that.

Defense: Whitner. Our safety was CJ Spillman. Enough said.

I actually like Spillman, He is killer on ST's.

If I had a say at Safety position. I would keep these 5.

Donte Whitner at SS and Reggie Smith at FS

Madiue Williams at backup FS, then CJ Spillman as ST and FS

Final spot goes to Mays/Jones/Taylor

Whoever plays best. If its not mays, then try him at OLB or trade him.

Im not all that worried about our D. Willis is still Willis.

Smith is pure awesome at DE. McDonald is a young pass rusher.

Aldon is gonna be better than Manny ever was. Whitner and Rogers bolster a weak Secondary. Spencer, Brown, Culliver, Adams provide nice depth. I would like another vet CB.

If it came down to Rogers and Spencer, Id be ok.

I am worried at NT, I hope Sopoaga holds up, and I hope Ian Williams makes the team, as a future NT.

I like RJF a lot. Bowman needs to step up and start, or put Brooks at ILB, but so many potential scenarios. I just cant wait till the 12th, Saints.
Im good wit em all
Pro bowl center-good for our line and qb!
Ex probowler and still potential beast at wide reciever.
Rodgers good cover corner not many ints but doesnt gamble and bats balls down! Big need tho.
Whitner a young beast at strong safety! Signed for 3 yrs!
Akers well he is mr dependable minus last kick as a eagle that is but dudes the man!
M williams seemed more as an insurance of just in case!

Hard to choose i choose all lol just cant choose! Lol
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
1. Whitner
2. Rodgers
3. Akers
4. Goodwin
5. Edwards.

Fact.
Share 49ersWebzone