There are 64 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

I Just Hope It Works: The Defense

We all have a tendency to look at our players individually instead of a unit, but I'm not sure this is the right approach. Keep in mind that the defense that was just dismantled this off season was also ranked 13th over all last year and they probably could have been ranked much higher than that if our offense didn't suck so bad. Maybe Lawson, Goldson, Franklin and TKO weren't world beaters, but together with the rest of the unit they played very solid. We can argue that there replacements are better suited for Vic's D, but at the end of the day, I just want to see improvements. Like Jimmy Raye, Fiango's defenses have gotten progressively worst everywhere he's gone. I know there is a lot of excitement about not over paying for our "washed up" players from the Sing era, but I remain skeptical. Personally, I wont be impressed unless our D is in the top ten within two years and I dont want to see a big drop off this year, either.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
We all have a tendency to look at our players individually instead of a unit, but I'm not sure this is the right approach. Keep in mind that the defense that was just dismantled this off season was also ranked 13th over all last year and they probably could have been ranked much higher than that if our offense didn't suck so bad. Maybe Lawson, Goldson, Franklin and TKO weren't world beaters, but together with the rest of the unit they played very solid. We can argue that there replacements are better suited for Vic's D, but at the end of the day, I just want to see improvements. Like Jimmy Raye, Fiango's defenses have gotten progressively worst everywhere he's gone. I know there is a lot of excitement about not over paying for our "washed up" players from the Sing era, but I remain skeptical. Personally, I wont be impressed unless our D is in the top ten within two years and I dont want to see a big drop off this year, either.

A big drop off? Yeah because Takeo, Clements, Goldston, and Franklin were such HUGE contributors right?

The big question mark I have is at Nose Tackle. Spikes is replaceable. Clements wasn't that big of an impact, in fact you could argue he caused problems as much as he contributed during the season, and Goldston was a below average safety who's getting cut today.

Franklin actually was fairly mediocre in Baltimore and San Francisco until last year so the jury is still out. Don't freak out bubba.

Btw, I didn't include Manny Lawson compared to Aldon Smith because as long as Smith gets more than 2.5 sacks he's already better then lawson. Hold your horses! We actually have intelligent coaches this year!
yes, it's a new scheme. you can't say that last year's squad would play at the same level in Fangio's D which is very different than Manusky's.
Looking just at the secondary, it's hard to tell if they're better than last season.

Goldson most likely will not be back. Reggie Smith should take over for him as FS. Whitner is EASILY the starter at SS.
Clements out, Rogers in and Spencer stays.......

I'd like to think this is a better group, but we won't know till we see them play. On the bright side, they won't have to do much to improve over last season's squad
the only lose i am worried about is franklin. i think everyone else's replacement is either just as good or a little better. new coaching staff equals new players. i expected something like this
It is going to work out. We just added a serious playmaker to our secondary and Rogers is no slouch either. I bet this year we generate a pass rush too. I got tired of Manusky's soft defense that couldn't get off the field in crucial situations.

I'M LOVING IT!
i feel like philip adams will take a big step up into a 3rd cb spot for us, he will challenge tarrell brown i think.
the only loss i really am worreid about is abrayu franklin

bowman/mckillop can replace spikes..clearly we'll miss his leadership but we have other leaders (justin smith, willis)

i hope Soap can hold the fort down at DT........
Originally posted by freetworhyme:

A big drop off? Yeah because Takeo, Clements, Goldston, and Franklin were such HUGE contributors right?

The big question mark I have is at Nose Tackle. Spikes is replaceable. Clements wasn't that big of an impact, in fact you could argue he caused problems as much as he contributed during the season, and Goldston was a below average safety who's getting cut today.

Franklin actually was fairly mediocre in Baltimore and San Francisco until last year so the jury is still out. Don't freak out bubba.

Btw, I didn't include Manny Lawson compared to Aldon Smith because as long as Smith gets more than 2.5 sacks he's already better then lawson. Hold your horses! We actually have intelligent coaches this year!

I dont see it as Lawson vs. Smith. I see it as Lawson vs. Haralson/Brooks (who's injured, again).

Besides, your doing exactly what I said, bashing these guys individually. Chemistry is just as important to a football team. I laugh at your assumption everyone we replaced our FAs with is better. I'm sure if they weren't Niners you wouldn't be singing that tune.
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by boast:
yes, it's a new scheme. you can't say that last year's squad would play at the same level in Fangio's D which is very different than Manusky's.

Exactly.

-Different schemes, I think fangio took a good look at tapes of the defense they had last year and pointed out the starters that probably wouldn't do so well in his system. TKO for example is a good run blocker who doesn't blitz so well, fangios schemes involve more blitzes. No one knows what's going to fit in that defense except for Fangio.

-Those guys also simply were worth less than what they either were going to get paid, or were currently being paid(clements), according to performances which were mediocre at best.

-The OP's point about them being ranked 13th going into the season only further proves the amount of FAIL in how our 23rd ranked defense ultimately performed. The ranking at the beginning of the season means absolutely nothing other than how the team was hyped by the media.
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
It is going to work out. We just added a serious playmaker to our secondary and Rogers is no slouch either. I bet this year we generate a pass rush too. I got tired of Manusky's soft defense that couldn't get off the field in crucial situations.

I'M LOVING IT!

I think people forget that Manusky started out blitzing a lot, but after we started getting destroyed by the screen and none of our "passrushers" actually could rush the passer, he backed off. I think Manusky with Aldon Smith as a tool would call plays diffrently.
Anyways, I'm not bashing, I just hope it all works. I wanted Manusky over Fiango, but only time will tell. Aldon seems very promising and that could be the game changer.

Excellent post!
Sing was suppose to be a motivator but he was actually just another pro HOFer who got easily pi$$ed because other people couldn't or wouldn't play like he did. Never hire Barry Bonds to be a batting coach. He wouldn't be able to understand why a hitter couldn't take his words of wisdom and convert them to hits. Sing brought the team down and the everyone just heard Blah Blah Blah!
The only thing I'm concerned about is the loss of Franklin. I don't trust Soap, but as far as the other replacements and usage of a new scheme, I feel we will better on all those fronts.