LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 285 users in the forums

Niners Sign C Goodwin

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

We will see a drop off in talent in 2011.

Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Originally posted by Amir:
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Originally posted by Chief:
Upgrade!

Is really better then Baas ?

Party Kill!

It is a good pickup for the Niners, but not for the reason some are saying. Goodwin is on the down side of his career, and will be 33 mid-way through the 2011 season. The Saints have moved on to a younger player, and Goodwin did not generate much interest in free agency. Free agent centers like Baas, Spencer, Sendlein and many others were signed by teams long before Goodwin. The reason? He's about done. Can the Niners get two good years out of him? Maybe, maybe not. Put him in the Olin Kreutz catagory, older guy with possibly a couple years left in the tank.

The good news about the signing is not the replacement for Baas, who will be better than Goodwin in 2011. Baas is three years younger and ascending. It is that Snyder can replace Rachal at guard. And, that is good news.

I am not sure why people are dancing on the board about the free agent signings the past couple days. Many need to step back and really see what we purchased. Rogers and Goodwin fill holes, but these are not top quality players. They are big named players, but they have already peaked and are on the downside of their career. Neither are better than the current David Baas and Nate Clements.

Some on the board are now calling Trent a genius, and Jed a master jedi. The truth remains that the organization massively failed this offseason, and had to scramble at the last minute to find lower tiered replacement players that has almost zero interest in the market. So, I don't get the accolades placed on the front office. These were leftover or bargain bin players who fill a spot on the field, but are not going to elevate the team to another level. They are not bad players by any means. But, there is absolutely no reason to be giddy over these guys, or try to defend management.

If you compare our signings with divisional rivals: the Seahawks, Rams, and Cardinals, you will see that they picked up ascending, young talent. We have picked up role players and three descending vets in Goodwin, Rogers, and Williams.

The spin doesn't stop here, good lord.

I truly believe your jealous that the front office receives more praise than you do on this board. Must really tee you off.
  • mike
  • Veteran
It is a good pickup for the Niners, but not for the reason some are saying. Goodwin is on the down side of his career, and will be 33 mid-way through the 2011 season. The Saints have moved on to a younger player, and Goodwin did not generate much interest in free agency. Free agent centers like Baas, Spencer, Sendlein and many others were signed by teams long before Goodwin. The reason? He's about done. Can the Niners get two good years out of him? Maybe, maybe not. Put him in the Olin Kreutz catagory, older guy with possibly a couple years left in the tank.

The good news about the signing is not the replacement for Baas, who will be better than Goodwin in 2011. Baas is three years younger and ascending. It is that Snyder can replace Rachal at guard. And, that is good news.

I am not sure why people are dancing on the board about the free agent signings the past couple days. Many need to step back and really see what we purchased. Rogers and Goodwin fill holes, but these are not top quality players. They are big named players, but they have already peaked and are on the downside of their career. Neither are better than the current David Baas and Nate Clements.

Some on the board are now calling Trent a genius, and Jed a master jedi. The truth remains that the organization massively failed this offseason, and had to scramble at the last minute to find lower tiered replacement players that has almost zero interest in the market. So, I don't get the accolades placed on the front office. These were leftover or bargain bin players who fill a spot on the field, but are not going to elevate the team to another level. They are not bad players by any means. But, there is absolutely no reason to be giddy over these guys, or try to defend management.

If you compare our signings with divisional rivals: the Seahawks, Rams, and Cardinals, you will see that they picked up ascending, young talent. We have picked up role players and three descending vets in Goodwin, Rogers, and Williams.

You're right we should have thrown the kitchen sink (money wise) at players who don't want to be here , and struggle to keep mediocre talent like spikes, clements and franklin who have all contributed to being one of the worst defenses in the league.(specifically against the pass)

Baas is not a top 3 center in the league, I don't care if he's "ascending". Goodwin is better than him right now and is cheaper, Snyder could have done the job(as one of those "ascenders") but we need to bump off rachal.

Same kind of deal for clements, he's not a top 5 cb in the league, nowhere near it. Rogers does a similar job for way less money.

The key to whether or not this is a "failed" offseason is what they do with the money they've saved from going from clements to rogers, franklin to soap(or whoever we get), and baas to goodwin. There are still some good FA's out there, especially receivers. If they just pocket it to spend on the arena, I agree f**k them...But we still have a few weeks to make that assumption.

[ Edited by mike on Aug 3, 2011 at 18:22:08 ]
Is MadDog some kind of god around here and I should listen to everything he says and take it as factual or should I form my own opinion and disagree with him?
Originally posted by mike:

You're right we should have thrown the kitchen sink (money wise) at players who don't want to be here , and struggle to keep mediocre talent like spikes, clements and franklin who have all contributed to being one of the worst defenses in the league.

Baas is not a top 3 center in the league, I don't care if he's "ascending". Goodwin is better than him right now and is cheaper, Snyder could have done the job(as one of those "ascenders") but we need to bump off rachal.

Same kind of deal for clements, he's not a top 5 cb in the league, nowhere near it. Rogers does a similar job for way less money.

The key to whether or not this is a "failed" offseason is what they do with the money they've saved from going from clements to rogers, franklin to soap(or whoever we get), and baas to goodwin. There are still some good FA's out there, especially receivers. If they just pocket it to spend on the arena, I agree f**k them...But we still have a few weeks to make that assumption.

The best part is the fact that FA hasn't gone the way crazypuppy thinks it should of, so now "we're scrambling" to add what ever we can find. In addition he forgets that the seahawks, cards, rams grab "ascending fa" every off season and it always leads to the same result. People need to realize that talent is a secondary requirement for winning in the NFL.

[ Edited by Shorteous on Aug 3, 2011 at 18:26:38 ]
Originally posted by FL9er:
2 Hours ago Baalke/York were idiots that didn't have a clue, the 49ers are only winning 2 games this year, etc. Some of you all, no ALL of you need Ron Artest's medication.

You mean Meta World Peace's medication.

I wish I knew everything too

Due to the amount of hypocrisy, there was a sense of obligation to use the search function and lookie what popped up...

Thread Highlights

13% No.
The board has reached an all-time low for intelligence.

Let's review the facts:
1) Heitmann has been classified by the press as the best player on the OL the past two years (including Staley, who is never critiqued by the board, and is never questioned about his starting role). Baas has not even been in the conversation about being the best, or even one of the best.
2) Heitmann is the team captain. Captains lead teams, they don't sit on benches.
3) The coaches love Heitmann, as does the scouting department.
4) Heitmann has built chemisty with Smith over the past 5 years. That is never overrated, especially for a guy who has struggled with confidence in the past.
5) Heitmann is an established vet at the starting center position between a rookie and a young, developing player in Rachal.
6) Baas wasn't even on the radar to supplant Heitmann before he went down.
7) Baas hasn't even been named the Game 1 starter yet. He is currently fighting for a job with Wragge, but appears to have the upper hand right now.
8) The coaching staff and front office think so lightly of Baas that they only offered a 1 year contract.

9) Sliding over one position in the line does not suddenly make a player become good. Let's not forget, a rookie from Idaho just replaced him at LG.
10) Last week, people were calling for Wragge to replace Baas after a series of practices where Baas could not get the ball consistently to Smith. One half of a preseason game is way too premature to annoint Baas as anything but a guy fighting for a backup job once Heitmann returns.

11) A whopping total of......9 career starts at center in college and the NFL, spanning the last 12 years of football life at Michigan and San Francisco.

The Niners do not live in a fantasy world, unlike some of our board members who are blinded by their wishful thinking. They have seen Heitmann and Baas snap balls for years side by side. And, there is no comparison. There is no controversy. Heitmann is the starter, period.

Shake yourselves back into reality, people. A healthy Heitmann comes back right away to start, and Baas fights to gain a new contract with the team. The best he can hope for is Rachal or Iupati to stink early in the season, and even then will have to compete with Snyder and Wragge for time.

Cheers.

P.S. If I am wrong, I will apologize to the board. At the same time, the board should call for the head of every person in the organization for being idiots, from the scouting department to the OC, to the OL coach, to the head coach, to everyone in player personnel. They would all be wrong, as well as all of the other coaches, scouts, player personnel directors from previous regimes. I don't think they are morons, that they actually watch these guys day in and day out, and have a general idea of how this game of football works.

And the apology?...

Honestly, you don't know what you are talking about. So, please stop. When you say "Heitmann doesn't fit that identity", let me ask you a couple questions:
1) Who was the unquestioned starter at center before Heitmann's injury? Uh, Heitmann. Baas wasn't even in contention for the starting job.
2) If "Heitmann doesn't fit that identity", then why have the Niners bypassed drafting a center the past two years, including the 2009 Draft?
3) If "Heitmann doesn't fit that identity", then why did the Niners not pursue a center in free agency?

Heitmann was going to be the starter. This was unquestioned. The only reason Baas is getting snaps at all (he hasn't even been declared the starter for game 1 over Wragge yet), is because Heitmann is injured.

You don't know what you are talking about. Sorry, but your level of knowledge in the game is low. Watch the rest of the league, do some reading, and strip yourself of your bias against Heitmann. Until then, stop posting naive posts. They are embarrassing.

Being opinionated doesn't make you knowledgeable, while you may know more than the average fan you are not an expert.

I respect the amount of time you put into your draft analysis, but with all due respect please STFU and stop pissing on people who don't share your opinion. There are some zoners who don't wanna be miserable cynic and would rather have something to look forward to then lose all hope of being a respectable team again. Look to your own posts and take your own advice.

Edit: Bolded so people dont have to read about Heitman anymore

[ Edited by 5280High on Aug 3, 2011 at 18:49:36 ]

Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by FILTHpigskin:
but but but........

Trent is the suxors

Retards

You're the type of cat who would blindly follow anything the team does and find reasons to justify it. You really wanna talk sh*t just because it worked out in your favor this time?

Of course you do.

His "retards" comment was not sarcasm, it was him gloating. The problem is, the only reason he was right is because he ignores reality in favor of optimism. It just happened to work out for him this time, and believe me I'm happy it did. I just don't like the fact that he wants to talk sh*t as if he knew all would be well when in reality he would have followed anything the team did with unfiltered Homerism.

He was right. Congrats to him, but save the insults.

I didn't ignore anything, I took a wait and see approach, I wasn't screaming like a girl in the first 3 days of FA. Maybe people should stay calm and not make idiotic predictions on how bad we suck because Nnamdi went to the Eagles. Or because Trent wasn't going to overpay for mediocre talent. Or that Gore should be traded, or that we suck so bad FA's don't want to come here.

I can gloat because Gore came back, our big FA's losses signed s**tty contracts showing their market worth, and I trusted a professional GM over people sitting on computers at home who looked ridiculous.

Cooler heads always prevail

Trust me, man, I'm very glad you were right. I just don't like the fact that you're insulting those who thought it was going poorly - because by all means, it certainly looked bad. I know some overreacted to a ridiculous extent, but that's the way it is with fans, I guess.

I didn't give Baalke or Jed the benefit of the doubt because they have done nothing to deserve it. If a couple more things go our way in this free agency period, I'd say they've earned my trust as a fan.

They haven't given you a reason to trust them, but what has Trent done to make you not trust him? Jed and Trent got Jim in the building, the only thing bigger than that the last few years would be the drafting of Willis and Davis. If a young President and interim-GM can land a coach like Jim (while in a bidding war)...I will trust them in a mild FA year....and not say they are pocketing money for a new stadium

See, this is what I mean when I say you find reasons to justify any move this team makes (or doesn't make, for that matter). If you truly believe that Baalke's skill to negotiate is what lured Jim Harbaugh to coach this team, then I really don't know what to tell you, man. It's quite obvious to most that Harbaugh wanted to coach this team all along and hiring an experienced GM over Baalke would not have affected that very much - and, in fact, having an experienced GM could have made his decision to come here even easier for all we know. In reality, proximity probably had far more to do with it than Trent Baalke and Jed York. Granted, I'm only speculating about that, but you're doing the same in thinking Baalke and York's ability to lure a coach is the real reason Harbaugh is here.

What have they done to make me not trust them? Well, how about not firing Mike Singletary until the end of the season, when it was clear we were out of playoff contention? We desperately needed change last year. This was evident in the first quarter of the season and no moves were made until it was far too late. Or, how about the fact that the Alex Smith era would have ended 3 years ago on any other team? Maybe the fact that Baalke has no prior GM experience and therefor has proven nothing? Or the questionable trade up to get Anthony Davis.

You probably don't see any of that the way I do, but it is what it is. I don't view this team like it does everything right, I view it as a team that hasn't had a winning record in 8 years - because that's exactly what this team is.

The trade up was to make sure we got the player at the position with the most upside. He will come around, for Christs sake man, he was a raw rookie last year.
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mike:

You're right we should have thrown the kitchen sink (money wise) at players who don't want to be here , and struggle to keep mediocre talent like spikes, clements and franklin who have all contributed to being one of the worst defenses in the league.(specifically against the pass)

Fatal flaw in his argument..... arguably, Goodwin and Rogers are upgrades over Baas and Clements.

And, hat doesn't mean they were signed to be the long term answers. Maddog seems to think they were however, but I don't think the team had any desire to find any long term answer though FA.

If the team wanted to build through FA, or even plug a hole for more than a year or two then yes, or is paying out the yingers for a big name FA...you better be getting the younger players. However, I don't think this team has plans of doing that, and the signings seem to reflect that.

I really don't think the team has any intention of building the oline around Goodwin, or the secondary around Rogers. I don't think they had any intention of building it around Baas or Clements either. Both of their talent levels was such that their walking was an acceptable outcome. Baas doesn't have near the game (present and likely future) that Maddog seems to be implying.
Originally posted by 5280High:
Due to the amount of hypocrisy, there was a sense of obligation to use the search function and lookie what popped up...

Thread Highlights

13% No.

Let's review the facts:
1) Heitmann has been classified by the press as the best player on the OL the past two years (including Staley, who is never critiqued by the board, and is never questioned about his starting role). Baas has not even been in the conversation about being the best, or even one of the best.
2) Heitmann is the team captain. Captains lead teams, they don't sit on benches.
4) Heitmann has built chemisty with Smith over the past 5 years. That is never overrated, especially for a guy who has struggled with confidence in the past.
5) Heitmann is an established vet at the starting center position between a rookie and a young, developing player in Rachal.
7) Baas hasn't even been named the Game 1 starter yet. He is currently fighting for a job with Wragge, but appears to have the upper hand right now.
8) The coaching staff and front office think so lightly of Baas that they only offered a 1 year contract.
9) Sliding over one position in the line does not suddenly make a player become good. Let's not forget, a rookie from Idaho just replaced him at LG.
10) Last week, people were calling for Wragge to replace Baas after a series of practices where Baas could not get the ball consistently to Smith. One half of a preseason game is way too premature to annoint Baas as anything but a guy fighting for a backup job once Heitmann returns.
11) A whopping total of......9 career starts at center in college and the NFL, spanning the last 12 years of football life at Michigan and San Francisco.

The Niners do not live in a fantasy world, unlike some of our board members who are blinded by their wishful thinking. They have seen Heitmann and Baas snap balls for years side by side. And, there is no comparison. There is no controversy. Heitmann is the starter, period.

Shake yourselves back into reality, people. A healthy Heitmann comes back right away to start, and Baas fights to gain a new contract with the team. The best he can hope for is Rachal or Iupati to stink early in the season, and even then will have to compete with Snyder and Wragge for time.

Cheers.

P.S. If I am wrong, I will apologize to the board. At the same time, the board should call for the head of every person in the organization for being idiots, from the scouting department to the OC, to the OL coach, to the head coach, to everyone in player personnel. They would all be wrong, as well as all of the other coaches, scouts, player personnel directors from previous regimes. I don't think they are morons, that they actually watch these guys day in and day out, and have a general idea of how this game of football works.

And the apology?...

Honestly, you don't know what you are talking about. So, please stop. When you say "Heitmann doesn't fit that identity", let me ask you a couple questions:
1) Who was the unquestioned starter at center before Heitmann's injury? Uh, Heitmann. Baas wasn't even in contention for the starting job.
2) If "Heitmann doesn't fit that identity", then why have the Niners bypassed drafting a center the past two years, including the 2009 Draft?
3) If "Heitmann doesn't fit that identity", then why did the Niners not pursue a center in free agency?

Heitmann was going to be the starter. This was unquestioned. The only reason Baas is getting snaps at all (he hasn't even been declared the starter for game 1 over Wragge yet), is because Heitmann is injured.

You don't know what you are talking about. Sorry, but your level of knowledge in the game is low. Watch the rest of the league, do some reading, and strip yourself of your bias against Heitmann. Until then, stop posting naive posts. They are embarrassing.

Being opinionated doesn't make you knowledgeable, while you may know more than the average fan you are not an expert.

I respect the amount of time you put into your draft analysis, but with all due respect please STFU and stop pissing on people who don't share your opinion. There are some zoners who don't wanna be miserable cynic and would rather have something to look forward to then lose all hope of being a respectable team again. Look to your own posts and take your own advice.

Ouch.
  • Silky
  • Veteran
So apparently there is 3 types of 49ers fans.

1.) 49ers Fans

2.) All other 31 teams fans

3.) MadDog type fans

Just be happy for once. We got a decent player. I'm not kicking and screaming about it like some, but i'm not gonna bash them for it. Let them be happy. God knows we have enough negativity already.
  • Tman
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 5280High:

Thread Highlights

13% No.

Let's review the facts:

Cheers.

And the apology?...

Edit: Bolded so people dont have to read about Heitman anymore

Share 49ersWebzone