LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 261 users in the forums

Is Baas permanent answer at center?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is Baas permanent answer at center?

If David Baas continues to show improvement into the regular season will he be able to nail down the starting job at center even after heitmann comes back?

What do y'all think?
It would be nice if he steps up and fills the role.

However, unless Rachal gets his act together, we still have a vacancy on the line. So if Heitmann gets back, Bass might move to RG. Or I'm just looking into it way too much. (probable)
was there a question?
I read how Heitmann is a stud as a center, but our O-line has been porous up the middle as of late. I t reminds me of Julian Peterson in the early century: if you are such a fu**en stud, why is our defense dead last? I say a change is due, Baas is a great run blocker and looks to be stronger. Yeah, let him be our center.
Yes, if by permanent you mean until Heitmann comes back.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

Exactly, once Heitmann is healthy he'll be the starter.
Really, that is up to Baas right now. He has the opportunity to take the job, but he has to play well enough to keep it. It is still Heitmann's job until Baas can prove he is better. He needs to make the most of this opportunity.
Originally posted by mayo63:

I mean after Heitmann is healthy, also if Bass shows he could possibly be a better option why would you put Heitmann back in that position?
I was fairly certain we drafted Baas for the sole purpose of him becoming our COTF. Whether that plan changed over the years or not is beyond me.
i think baas might be the permanent answer at being the next Tony Wragge.

but well see. i would like to see him develop into a viable, starting o-lineman, but one preseason game isn't enough to convince me that he's anything but a mediocre player.

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ers1fan1982:
Originally posted by mayo63:

I mean after Heitmann is healthy, also if Bass shows he could possibly be a better option why would you put Heitmann back in that position?

My inclination is that Heitmann will regain his starting job, no matter how well Baas plays. But, I'm sure the coaches will look at everything.
Keep in mind Baas is a free agent after this year. I'd hope that if Baas played well they would consider keeping him in as starter but it will be tough to do seeing is how Heitmann has been the starter for years now. Either way hopefully at the worst we found a backup center and we can get rid of Cody Wallace and use the roster spot on a more talent young player.
Baas is eternal. As long as he keeps drinking from the fountain of youth, he's permanent.
With all due respect to Heitmann, I hope so! But I don't know, hopefully we will find out by no later than Week 1 of the regular season. For years I've watched the line get destroyed in short yardage situations and it was always apparent to me that Heitmann was one of the culprits of this problem, if not the chief culprit. I like that our O-line is big and strong this year, and I think Gore, should he stay healthy, will have a shot at the rushing title in 2010.
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
With all due respect to Heitmann, I hope so! But I don't know, hopefully we will find out by no later than Week 1 of the regular season. For years I've watched the line get destroyed in short yardage situations and it was always apparent to me that Heitmann was one of the culprits of this problem, if not the chief culprit. I like that our O-line is big and strong this year, and I think Gore, should he stay healthy, will have a shot at the rushing title in 2010.

that doesn't seem very respectful to Heitman at all
Share 49ersWebzone