49ers 30 million under cap

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cwilson830:
Originally posted by baltien:
Originally posted by olapac:
Funny how when last season ended we all agreed that this team needed an overhaul. And now that we're finally getting it, everyone is complaining that we're not signing a bunch of mediocre free agents to replace the mediocre players we just cut.

I seriously do not get you guys.

Umm, not all of us agreed we needed an overhaul. Sure, there were/are areas to improve - like better coaching and QB play, a better pass rush, a decent CB - but it looks and feels like we've taken a step backwards and started another rebuilding process. We were 1-game out of a playoff spot last year. Feels like we're 6 games out and the season hasn't even started.

And now we have a better coach. One that actually knows offense. Yet most here don't trust his judgement when it comes to his players. I've yet to hear a solid explanation of how we regressed. The players we jettisoned were nothing special, as evidenced by the lack of attention they've received as free agents.

Here's an explanation of how we regressed so far:

Bass > Snyder
Spikes > Bowman
Franklin > Soap
Clements > Brown
Lawson = Smith
Goldson = Williams
Nedney = Akers

Of course, there's still a lot of FA to go.

franklin was signed mon
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Meh, i aint even worried, the lockout pretty much screwed us and i dont expect the team to just throw money all over the place just because. We made a run at Nnamdi and Ochocinco and it didnt work out Oh well.

The only player im mad about losing was Clements

I still support Jed and Trent

This.

With a new management and coaching, I'm willing to be patient. Sing had his chance and failed. Now we must give Harbaugh and Baalke that chance without the hysterics of every possible move that could've been made. This is an organization that has some nice parts, but is going to have to be built up to fit our new vision. This is a year of little expectations, which is nice for a change, because despite all the knee-jerk fans out there, we may actually find a nice foundation to grow into the future. Just chill the f**k out and stop giving people reason to call us whiners.

Stop making sense!

Originally posted by fan49:
Funny how when last season ended we all agreed that this team needed an overhaul. And now that we're finally getting it, everyone is complaining that we're not signing a bunch of mediocre free agents to replace the mediocre players we just cut.

Umm, not all of us agreed we needed an overhaul. Sure, there were/are areas to improve - like better coaching and QB play, a better pass rush, a decent CB - but it looks and feels like we've taken a step backwards and started another rebuilding process. We were 1-game out of a playoff spot last year. Feels like we're 6 games out and the season hasn't even started.

And now we have a better coach. One that actually knows offense. Yet most here don't trust his judgement when it comes to his players. I've yet to hear a solid explanation of how we regressed. The players we jettisoned were nothing special, as evidenced by the lack of attention they've received as free agents.

Bass > Snyder
Spikes > Bowman
Franklin > Soap
Clements > Brown
Lawson = Smith
Goldson = Williams
Nedney = Akers

franklin was signed mon

Bass > Snyder
Spikes > Bowman
Franklin > Soap
Clements > Brown
Lawson = Smith
Goldson = Williams
Nedney = Akers

franklin was signed mon

Wrong. He was not.

Bass > Snyder
Spikes > Bowman
Franklin > Soap
Clements > Brown
Lawson = Smith
Goldson = Williams
Nedney = Akers

franklin was signed mon

says who
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by kidash:
Meh, i aint even worried, the lockout pretty much screwed us and i dont expect the team to just throw money all over the place just because. We made a run at Nnamdi and Ochocinco and it didnt work out Oh well.

This.

With a new management and coaching, I'm willing to be patient. Sing had his chance and failed. Now we must give Harbaugh and Baalke that chance without the hysterics of every possible move that could've been made. This is an organization that has some nice parts, but is going to have to be built up to fit our new vision. This is a year of little expectations, which is nice for a change, because despite all the knee-jerk fans out there, we may actually find a nice foundation to grow into the future. Just chill the f**k out and stop giving people reason to call us whiners.

Stop making sense!

Thats exactly what ownership wants they hire a new coach every few years just to shut the fans up and make them keep paying inflated tickets prices and $30 to park in the mud.

Nothing really changes..............

Bass > Snyder
Spikes > Bowman
Franklin > Soap
Clements > Brown
Lawson = Smith
Goldson = Williams
Nedney = Akers

franklin was signed mon

Godson> Williams, not even close and Franklin is still a FA.
Originally posted by D-Money:

Bass > Snyder
Spikes > Bowman
Franklin > Soap
Clements > Brown
Lawson = Smith
Goldson = Williams
Nedney = Akers

franklin was signed mon

Godson> Williams, not even close and Franklin is still a FA.

Read the bolded part and check the stats from last year.
Originally posted by Otter:
Originally posted by Mookster:
Originally posted by Otter:
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
This better not be a Dennis Erickson type of season, at least during that season we knew we didnt have the cap space to bring in any help ...but choosing to lose with a gang of cash at the teams disposal will not win over any fans

I think it's pretty safe to say that Harbaugh will be a better HC than Erickson ever was. Same as Baalke will be better than Donahue...but that's not saying much because 99% of the WZ members could've been better GMs than him (i.e. see Wilfork and R. Woods).

As for the $$$$ issue, I'd have to agree with you there.

Thank you , I am getting frustrated with the lack of production from our F.O, we should at least be shelling out some 1 year contracts to veterans to strengthen the D-Line and secondary if the big plan is to build through the draft, we cant be relying on unproven players for depth and hoping they pan out for us...we need solid players to compete, but it appears the F.O believes we will get better by subtraction

So we should just throw money at anyone because you don't want them to appear cheap? Or should we try and find the right players?

Most vets don't want 1 year contracts, they want stability just like everyone else. And there appears to be indications that Franklin will sign with us, so with him and Ray Mac resigning our D-Line seems to be set.

Fine as that may sound this is the same front 7 (with the exception of the Rookie Aldon Smith replacing Lawson) that failed to generate any consistent QB pressure and exposed an extremely under talented secondary (24th in the league vs the pass). Now we have less in the secondary than last year so if we still fail to generate QB pressure (with virtually the same personnel as last year) it will be an UGLY season.

Which is why I find it amusing that people are upset that any of these guys are not retained. If they couldn't do anything, why the outrage that we hope to replace them.

Its because the FO isn't doing anything to upgrade the roster and instead will rely on guys who were 2nd string behind at best an "average" NFL player. Net result is a step backwards.
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Be patient. They have a "plan"...to not spend any money.

Lawson was only $3 million. Crazy we weren't able to sign him for that salary, especially with the massive cap room.

P.S. The apologists for the owners and GM on this board are starting to make me ill. Some are stating, "nobody wants to come here". False: Arizona and Seattle are signing a ton of quality players that will upgrade their team. Umenyiora stated yesterday that he would like a move to Seattle. It is a lame-brain excuse.

Others are stating, "let's let the coach figure out who is good." Silly. Each team has tape and scouts. If you don't know who is good or not good, you should drive 16-wheel trucks instead.

It really comes down to a commitment to win. And, the team is showing this season... that they really aren't hungry to win.

Apologists should be sick to their stomachs that the franchise of Walsh, DeBartolo, Policy, Montana, Rice, and Lott is a bottom-barrell team, instead of defending management relentlessly as if they are related.

Still waiting for Jed to emerge to say that we will make the playoffs. He would be ridiculed from coast to coast.

We have become a "loser" franchise. Congrats, apologists. Now, back to supporting the great Trent Baalke and Jed York.

My feeling is York is saving all he can to finance the stadium. I'm hoping like crazy that as Rod Brooks pointed out on his radio show yesterday that it takes a new stadium to spend money. Look at the Jets/Pats/Eagles/Cowboys/Falcons/Seahawks/Redskins. They all have had new stadiums built in the last 10 years or so.

better example is the cardinals, they cheap like the yorks, but their new stadium has allowed them to spend money....BTW falcons been in the georgian dome for a long time, i think one of the bills cowboys sb's was there, or maybe it was skins bills

Originally posted by susweel:

This.

Stop making sense!

Thats exactly what ownership wants they hire a new coach every few years just to shut the fans up and make them keep paying inflated tickets prices and $30 to park in the mud.

Yup. This. We need new owners.
Originally posted by area49:

This.

Stop making sense!

Good luck with that
Originally posted by area49:

This.

Stop making sense!

I posted this many times and we all need to figure out a way to make this happen. If anyone knows Larry Ellison we should set up a meeting and figure out a way to get the Franchise in his hands. There is a way the league can force an owner to sell due to incompetence. Larry Ellison could take the team, hire great football minds and that would be a good clearing house for a Rebuild. Start with the foundation and build from there instead of keep changing the Roof and Walls over and over again. I do care about the Niners and of course all of the Pollyanna folks will say you should support the team. This is the real way to support your team.

Lucky Sperm will never get this team on track.

[ Edited by bassmanr on Aug 2, 2011 at 11:12:27 ]
when an organization jokes to beat reporters about the HC being their biggest FA of the off season you know you have cheap owners.
Originally posted by global_nomad:
when an organization jokes to beat reporters about the HC being their biggest FA of the off season you know you have cheap owners.

Even as a joke, that bugged me the wrong way.
Share 49ersWebzone