There are 124 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

49ers 30 million under cap

"The 49ers are showing interest in possibly spending some of their money towards the cap"
Originally posted by baltien:
Funny how when last season ended we all agreed that this team needed an overhaul. And now that we're finally getting it, everyone is complaining that we're not signing a bunch of mediocre free agents to replace the mediocre players we just cut.

I seriously do not get you guys.

This team doesn't need an overhaul. It needs few simple upgrades over last year and we're in the playoffs.
Originally posted by bassmanr:
Originally posted by rapid4:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Be patient. They have a "plan"...to not spend any money.

Lawson was only $3 million. Crazy we weren't able to sign him for that salary, especially with the massive cap room.

P.S. The apologists for the owners and GM on this board are starting to make me ill. Some are stating, "nobody wants to come here". False: Arizona and Seattle are signing a ton of quality players that will upgrade their team. Umenyiora stated yesterday that he would like a move to Seattle. It is a lame-brain excuse.

Others are stating, "let's let the coach figure out who is good." Silly. Each team has tape and scouts. If you don't know who is good or not good, you should drive 16-wheel trucks instead.

It really comes down to a commitment to win. And, the team is showing this season... that they really aren't hungry to win.

Apologists should be sick to their stomachs that the franchise of Walsh, DeBartolo, Policy, Montana, Rice, and Lott is a bottom-barrell team, instead of defending management relentlessly as if they are related.Still waiting for Jed to emerge to say that we will make the playoffs. He would be ridiculed from coast to coast.

We have become a "loser" franchise. Congrats, apologists. Now, back to supporting the great Trent Baalke and Jed York.

Right on. I voted with my feet -- gave up season tickets after 25 years.

I gave mine up as soon as the Yorks thought they could sell a crappy product and put lipstick on a Pig. Nice post and if we keep this support the team no matter what BS, Lucky Sperm can keep selling this crap.

Agreed ...I'm getting sick and tired of people flaming me and saying "OH JUST SIGN ANYONE THEN" when I say we need to find some talent ...NO ..that is NOT what I mean, but some people on here seem to trust the The Yorks and Baalke???? plus they are ready to go upside somebodys head if we criticize them ..WTF ??
Niners $30 million below cap ... but not really

The 49ers are a little less than $30 million below the salary cap, according to information from the NFL Players Association. However, that cap number - about $91 million - takes into account recently released players like Nate Clements but not new contracts to free agents like Alex Smith, Ray McDonald and David Akers.

Those contracts will go into effect Thursday with the start of the new league year. The 49ers still promise to be well below the cap limit on Thursday, but the discrepancy between the listed and actual cap numbers are partly the reason for a lull in free agency.

Some of the teams around the league are scrambling this week to restructure contracts so that they are under the cap by Thursday. Agents, meanwhile, are hesitant to commit to deals until they see what actual market looks like. Adding to that landscape is the fact that newly-signed free agents can't practice with their teams until Thursday at the earliest anyway. That is, there is no real impetus to complete deals until later in the week.

A number of 49ers free agents are finding the market softer than anticipated. There was a flurry of activity and big signings early in free agency. But due to the 2010 free-agency rules that required players to have six years of service instead of the normal four before becoming unrestricted free agents, there is a glut of free agents this year. That, combined with the return of a salary cap, has weakened the market.

Three of the 49ers' own free agents, Manny Lawson, Dashon Goldson and Aubrayo Franklin, all expected to be hot commodities this season. Lawson only was able to get a one-year deal in Cincinnati. Goldson and Franklin are still available, and both of them could return to the 49ers.

Read more: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2011/08/niners-30-million-below-cap-but-not-really.html#ixzz1TtEgameg
  • Amir
  • Veteran
Funny how when last season ended we all agreed that this team needed an overhaul. And now that we're finally getting it, everyone is complaining that we're not signing a bunch of mediocre free agents to replace the mediocre players we just cut.

Best.Motherphuckin.Post.In.The.Past.Week
Originally posted by genz22:
I for one trust the new coaching staff and front office. Let's see what you have before you break the bank for average talent. Obviously Lawson, Clements, etc weren't cutting it so let's see who steps up this year. 2012 is our year to load up on free agents if needed. Build through the draft. Have patience!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/02/11-teams-still-have-20-million-or-more-in-cap-room/

Yes, we've adopted the approach of the Golden State Warriors - be patient. Players bolt the first chance they get and nobody wants to come here. I wonder if Denise was fooling around with Chris Cohan. Result - Jed. Looks like next year we'll enter our second decade as irrelevant losers. The John York era; literally the worst in 49ers history. Eddie's head must be about to explode and Bill is rolling over in his grave.

Umm, not all of us agreed we needed an overhaul. Sure, there were/are areas to improve - like better coaching and QB play, a better pass rush, a decent CB - but it looks and feels like we've taken a step backwards and started another rebuilding process. We were 1-game out of a playoff spot last year. Feels like we're 6 games out and the season hasn't even started.

[ Edited by olapac on Aug 2, 2011 at 09:34:55 ]
Originally posted by cwilson830:

This team doesn't need an overhaul. It needs few simple upgrades over last year and we're in the playoffs.

But what everyone is ignoring is there are not many clear upgrades to be had in free agency. Asomugha and J. Joseph are the only ones that come to mind. Beyond them, nobody is really better than what we already have. Which leaves us with trading for players, but that's a risky proposition as well that could hurt us down the road.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Niners $30 million below cap ... but not really

The 49ers are a little less than $30 million below the salary cap, according to information from the NFL Players Association. However, that cap number - about $91 million - takes into account recently released players like Nate Clements but not new contracts to free agents like Alex Smith, Ray McDonald and David Akers.

Those contracts will go into effect Thursday with the start of the new league year. The 49ers still promise to be well below the cap limit on Thursday, but the discrepancy between the listed and actual cap numbers are partly the reason for a lull in free agency.

Some of the teams around the league are scrambling this week to restructure contracts so that they are under the cap by Thursday. Agents, meanwhile, are hesitant to commit to deals until they see what actual market looks like. Adding to that landscape is the fact that newly-signed free agents can't practice with their teams until Thursday at the earliest anyway. That is, there is no real impetus to complete deals until later in the week.

A number of 49ers free agents are finding the market softer than anticipated. There was a flurry of activity and big signings early in free agency. But due to the 2010 free-agency rules that required players to have six years of service instead of the normal four before becoming unrestricted free agents, there is a glut of free agents this year. That, combined with the return of a salary cap, has weakened the market.

Three of the 49ers' own free agents, Manny Lawson, Dashon Goldson and Aubrayo Franklin, all expected to be hot commodities this season. Lawson only was able to get a one-year deal in Cincinnati. Goldson and Franklin are still available, and both of them could return to the 49ers.

Read more: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2011/08/niners-30-million-below-cap-but-not-really.html#ixzz1TtEgameg

Good read, also makes allot of sense.

Too bad logical thinking like this has no place when haters wanna hate.

Venting about something... anything... is a stress reliever for all the frustrations and failings in life?

... just a theory.

But what everyone is ignoring is there are not many clear upgrades to be had in free agency. Asomugha and J. Joseph are the only ones that come to mind. Beyond them, nobody is really better than what we already have. Which leaves us with trading for players, but that's a risky proposition as well that could hurt us down the road.

Even if that is true (and many ppl here will argue that there are a lot of easy upgrades), just maintaining the status quo would have given us a great shot at the playoffs.

Wow, a voice of reason in Ninertalk? Impossible.
Originally posted by olapac:

Umm, not all of us agreed we needed an overhaul. Sure, there were/are areas to improve - like better coaching and QB play, a better pass rush, a decent CB - but it looks and feels like we've taken a step backwards and started another rebuilding process. We were 1-game out of a playoff spot last year. Feels like we're 6 games out and the season hasn't even started.

And now we have a better coach. One that actually knows offense. Yet most here don't trust his judgement when it comes to his players. I've yet to hear a solid explanation of how we regressed. The players we jettisoned were nothing special, as evidenced by the lack of attention they've received as free agents.

Even if that is true (and many ppl here will argue that there are a lot of easy upgrades), just maintaining the status quo would have given us a great shot at the playoffs.

My point is we didn't lose much (if anything). The status quo for us is currently a sub .500 team. So again, nobody we lost is irreplaceable.
  • Otter
  • Veteran
The team went on to finish the season 5-11, finishing last in the division.

They went on to sign the following:

9) Antonio Langham -- in 2000

8) Joe Panos/Brenden Stai/Rich Tylski --

7) David Terrell -- In 2005

6) Steve Martin -- In 2002

5) Chad Brown -- In 2005

4) Fred McCrary -- In 2003

1) Donald Hayes -- In 2002

EXTRA POINT: Cornerback Duane Starks, who is arguably the Patriots' worst acquisition since 2000, was acquired in a trade. The trade had Starks and a fifth-round pick sent to the Patriots in exchange for third- and fifth-round picks.

ANALYSIS: In recapping the Patriots' free agent activity, one area that stands out is that the team's mistakes weren't crippling from a money perspective. There wasn't one signing to point to in which the team bought especially high, and got low results.

10) David Patten -- In 2000

9) Otis Smith -- In 2000

8) Bobby Hamilton -- In 2000

7) Larry Izzo -- In 2001

6) Joe Andruzzi -- In 2000

5) Roman Phifer -- In 2001.

4) Antowain Smith -- In 2001

3) Rosevelt Colvin -- In 2003

1) Mike Vrabel -- In 2001

The lesson, you build through the draft, and don't gamble high on free agency.