LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 424 users in the forums

49ers 30 million under cap

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by Bobbi9698:
Originally posted by Otter:
Another piece of information people are ignoring. Teams are going in to camp with 90 players. At some point they'll have to cut down to 53. Seems logical that there will be people available later on, and the price will be much more reasonable and appropriate for their talent level.

This means--more scrubs on the way to the Niners...

its not always scrubs there are decent players that get cut for salary cap purposes.

Current evidence is that we won't go after them. We are doing NOTHING.
pats dont pay big money for players.

They draft great.

Ocho and Haynesworth arent big moves.

Big Albert sucks, and Ocho has always been a distraction. Hopefully he changes.

Last big FA was Adalius, and he bust in NE.

They spend on their own FAs, they draft smart, lock up top young players on roster.

Their best trade IMO was Welker, from Miami.

Honestly no FAs this were worth breaking the bank, including nnamdi.

I wouldnt give in to any demands, Franklin shbouldnt get a 5yr deal. Goldson, no way a 40M deal. Lawson, 14.5 sacks in 5yrs, not worth a 35M deal, or even 3M a yr IMO.

I just cant see overspending on mediocre players.

U dont over spend to just overspend for the sake of it. And fans shouldnt even be apart of it.

Some say we need to spend to get players. And the good ones, who says their good-great? The media, who spew crap, I never believe the media. On anything.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Another piece of information people are ignoring. Teams are going in to camp with 90 players. At some point they'll have to cut down to 53. Seems logical that there will be people available later on, and the price will be much more reasonable and appropriate for their talent level.

This means--more scrubs on the way to the Niners...

its not always scrubs there are decent players that get cut for salary cap purposes.

Current evidence is that we won't go after them. We are doing NOTHING.

Niners $30 million below salary cap ... but not really

The 49ers are a little less than $30 million below the salary cap, according to information from the NFL Players Association. However, that cap number - about $91 million - takes into account recently released players like Nate Clements but not new contracts to free agents like Alex Smith, Ray McDonald and David Akers.

Those contracts will go into effect Thursday with the start of the new league year. The 49ers still promise to be well below the cap limit on Thursday, but the discrepancy between the listed and actual cap numbers are partly the reason for a lull in free agency.

Some of the teams around the league are scrambling this week to restructure contracts so that they are under the cap by Thursday. Agents, meanwhile, are hesitant to commit to deals until they see what actual market looks like. Adding to that landscape is the fact that newly-signed free agents can't practice with their teams until Thursday at the earliest anyway. That is, there is no real impetus to complete deals until later in the week.

A number of 49ers free agents are finding the market softer than anticipated. There was a flurry of activity and big signings early in free agency. But due to the 2010 free-agency rules that required players to have six years of service instead of the normal four before becoming unrestricted free agents, there is a glut of free agents this year. That, combined with the return of a salary cap, has weakened the market.

Three of the 49ers' own free agents, Manny Lawson, Dashon Goldson and Aubrayo Franklin, all expected to be hot commodities this season. Lawson, for example, signed a one-year deal in Cincinnati so that he could re-enter the free-agent market next year when it ostensibly has normalized. Goldson and Franklin are still available, and both of them could return to the 49ers.

Read more: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2011/08/niners-30-million-below-cap-but-not-really.html#ixzz1Ttllc6NC
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

They draft great.

They spend on their own FAs, they draft smart, lock up top young players on roster.

I wouldnt give in to any demands, Franklin shbouldnt get a 5yr deal. Goldson, no way a 40M deal. Lawson, 14.5 sacks in 5yrs, not worth a 35M deal, or even 3M a yr IMO.

U dont over spend to just overspend for the sake of it. And fans shouldnt even be apart of it.

Some say we need to spend to get players. And the good ones, who says their good-great? The media, who spew crap, I never believe the media. On anything.

Agree 100% and have been saying this.

However, it doesn't resonate with a lot of the people on here.

They draft great.

The Pat logic: HOF QB and coach> Give it up

They draft great.

They drafted Tom Brady. Logic still valid
Originally posted by amir_tn80:
Originally posted by fakers23:

I understand, but Its not smart to just throw money at players, this crop of FAs are a weak bunch.

Best CBs were Nnamdi and Joseph. Honestly the rest are average, even Cromartie. Not high on Rogers, has been a bust in WSH. Marshall has also been mediocre in CAR.

Im fine with FA, just spend the money smartly, dont do a nate clemets or jonas jennings deals. I just couldnt see giving a 30yr old CB 15M a yr, or even 13M, over 5yrs. Its jusy way to much.

You mean like the Patriots before their Super Bowl run. What a concept.

Uh,little problem with your Patriots model. The Patriots actually made moves. They traded for players. Baalke hasn't even done that. lol

Patriots and other competent franchises actually draft well, despite the fact that they pick low every year. The 49ers on the other hand, despite picking in top 10 for every single year in the last decade, have holes all over the roster. "Build through the draft" is just a slogan and excuse for the 49ers.

No, It isnt a slogan, Its the truth.

And lets see, Vernon, Willis, Iupati, Staley, all solid 1st rd picks.

Anthony Davis and Crabtree have tons of talent. Need to step up.

The worst 1st rd pick was Balmer in the recent Era of Nolan, Sing and McCloughan.

I have hope for Alex, but if jim cant help and fix him, then he has nothing left in him.

We also have drafted well in the late rounds.
  • pd24
  • Veteran

I understand, but Its not smart to just throw money at players, this crop of FAs are a weak bunch.

Best CBs were Nnamdi and Joseph. Honestly the rest are average, even Cromartie. Not high on Rogers, has been a bust in WSH. Marshall has also been mediocre in CAR.

Im fine with FA, just spend the money smartly, dont do a nate clemets or jonas jennings deals. I just couldnt see giving a 30yr old CB 15M a yr, or even 13M, over 5yrs. Its jusy way to much.

Uh,little problem with your Patriots model. The Patriots actually made moves. They traded for players. Baalke hasn't even done that. lol

Wron, they started to trade for players and bring in big free agents after they won the superbowl one or 2 times, but they spent wisely and didn't bring in big names.

Ty law
Miloy
Willie McGinest
Troy Brown
Tom Brady
Bruschi
Richard Seymour
Ty Warren
Vince Wilfork

All these are guys drafted by the Pats.

They draft great.

For the record, ABs a huge contributor to this board and I like most of what he says, but Bobbi just had the QFT. I've been saying this for a while, the top teams secret is great coaching and stud QB. Hopefully, we find out we have both in a year or two.
Originally posted by chico49erfan:

They draft great.

Agree 100% and have been saying this.

However, it doesn't resonate with a lot of the people on here.

Thank u chico.

Everyone is caught up on what the media hypes them.

Like I said I dont follow what they say, I go off my beliefs and what Ive seen on them.

Its great having the nfl ticket each yr, gives me an edge on scouting.

Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

They draft great.

For the record, ABs a huge contributor to this board and I like most of what he says, but Bobbi just had the QFT. I've been saying this for a while, the top teams secret is great coaching and stud QB. Hopefully, we find out we have both in a year or two.

The Patriots have built through the draft and develop them. Case in point Drew Bledsoe, Tom Brady and Matt Cassell.
Originally posted by Hitman49:
Originally posted by DraftaQB:
No body has said anything about breaking the bank - we are not even close to breaking the bank.

We have 30 mil to spend and we choose not to spend it, that's like having Tom Brady at QB and choosing to start Alex Smith.

There is no one left to break the bank for...all the high priced FA's have been signed...not that any of them were interested in coming here in the first place...

Because we have alex smith at qb still...i reallu think most playes dont see us progressing cuz alex is still our qb.
Originally posted by amir_tn80:

Patriots and other competent franchises actually draft well, despite the fact that they pick low every year. The 49ers on the other hand, despite picking in top 10 for every single year in the last decade, have holes all over the roster. "Build through the draft" is just a slogan and excuse for the 49ers.

No, It isnt a slogan, Its the truth.

And lets see, Vernon, Willis, Iupati, Staley, all solid 1st rd picks.

Anthony Davis and Crabtree have tons of talent. Need to step up.

The worst 1st rd pick was Balmer in the recent Era of Nolan, Sing and McCloughan.

I have hope for Alex, but if jim cant help and fix him, then he has nothing left in him.

We also have drafted well in the late rounds.

And despite drafting well for the last few years the roster is still full of holes. If the drafts had gone well, this year wouldn't be a rebuilding year. The O-Line is still a weakness (no C and Rachal is a joke). The secondary is a huge hole (nobody on the roster is NFL starter caliber). There still isn't a competent QB on the roster. There is still no proven pass rusher on the team (Aldon Smith is a project).
Originally posted by pd24:

Wron, they started to trade for players and bring in big free agents after they won the superbowl one or 2 times, but they spent wisely and didn't bring in big names.

Ty law
Miloy
Willie McGinest
Troy Brown
Tom Brady
Bruschi
Richard Seymour
Ty Warren
Vince Wilfork

So...we should direct our anger at the FO for bad drafting instead of inactivity in free agency???
Originally posted by olapac:
Originally posted by pd24:

Ty law
Miloy
Willie McGinest
Troy Brown
Tom Brady
Bruschi
Richard Seymour
Ty Warren
Vince Wilfork

So...we should direct our anger at the FO for bad drafting instead of inactivity in free agency???

Specifically McClueless... Baalke's guys have been in the league for one year.
Share 49ersWebzone