LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 206 users in the forums

2011 Season - Niners sign Carlos Rogers

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by njninersfan420:
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:
I am sitting here hysterically laughing at all these people saying Rogers sucks. He is one of the few corners I said I liked coming into Free Agency. The guy has great man to man cover skills, he can also tackle well, but he can not pick a pass off to save his life (thats something I can live with). If he can hold a WR that long and bye an extra second or two to make the QB stand back there and our hopeful pass rush can get there is what I am game for. People say he sucks because he was not a "highlight" corner in Washington. You know Walt Harris was not as well. I am very content if we get Rogers. I am happy with him splitting ends with Spencer on the other sides. I am more comfortable with him than I was with Nate.

thank you, someone with some sense. every1 saying rogers sucks, rogers has no hands. he is a HUGE upgrade to what we are working with now at cb, and i would be happy if we signed him. i guess every1 else would rather us do nothing and get burned by fitz rice and sims walker 2wice a year

seriously, if we get rogers we counter the moves of sea stl and cards a bit by holding their wr's to less yards
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by canadian49erfan:
mattbarrows Matt Barrows
The 49ers have shown interest in Redskins FA cornerback Carlos Rogers, one of the few quality FA CBs left, source w/ knowledge says.

We get Rogers, all is forgiven.

Interest, forget interest, I wanna hear that we offered him a contract.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by canadian49erfan:
mattbarrows Matt Barrows
The 49ers have shown interest in Redskins FA cornerback Carlos Rogers, one of the few quality FA CBs left, source w/ knowledge says.

We get Rogers, all is forgiven.

Interest, forget interest, I wanna hear that we offered him a contract.

true, we have heard interest about 5 or 6 times with NOTHING out of it. enough already we need a cb on the basis of all our division rivals got better in their wr options with sims walker rice even heap and maybe edwards if the cards sign him. I hope we get edwards or floyd, or anyone outside our division gets edwards
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
^ No one we can add at this point will be expected to have a career explosion, but if they did suddenly improve with such a change of scenery, they wouldn't be the first of CBs to do so.

But much like Cromartie, if they are looking for a 8 mil per year type of contract, then just forget it. Rather see SF just develop the slop we have rather than bend over for an average and aging CB.

True but no way can either guy be looking for that much money. I would have taken Cromartie simply b/c the guy is much much more talented. And you need talent to win. Rodgers solid addition potential upgrade, but folks are overrating him b/c he's all that's left. It's really ironic b/c he's almost a mirror image of Nate. I'd take him in a heartbeat though, I just hope folks expectations aren't super high.

One of my longtime best friend is a hardcore skins fan. I get to see and hear week in and week out about them. I know about Rogers and not overating him becuase he is all thats left. He is NOT a mirror image of Nate. Nate gets tore up on pump fakes and double moves. Rodgers does not posses that lack of skill. Matter of fact Cromartie is not that much better than Rodgers. I will be willing to put that on the table. Cromartie is scared to death to tackle. WTF you think he is going to do when Steven Jackson and Marshawn Lynch are turning up the field heading towards him? I would take Rogers for a 2-3 year deal and find a young corner next year VIA draft or FA.
I live in DC and have watched Carlos Rogers since he came into the league. He's not the answer, they're better off playing the young corners to get them experience.
Panthers are also interested in him... Let's see who gets him.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DCNinerFan:
I live in DC and have watched Carlos Rogers since he came into the league. He's not the answer, they're better off playing the young corners to get them experience.

They didn't give him a ringing endorsement on the homepage articles either

did you see our corners in every highlight getting burned last year. rogers is better then any cb we have(with the exception of maybe spencer who would start beside him). just cause ur from dc doesnt mean your our east coast scout, i've watched plenty skins games and rogers is a legit corner. great 1st post
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Panthers are also interested in him... Let's see who gets him.

I don't like our chances against any other team.... or retirement.
I think that signing this guy is a must now. I've heard he is very good in coverage and very good at tackling, but has stone hands. I know he won't make a whole lot of plays, but at least he won't be getting burned. Him and Spencer would make a decent duo..better than last year.

did you see our corners in every highlight getting burned last year. rogers is better then any cb we have(with the exception of maybe spencer who would start beside him). just cause ur from dc doesnt mean your our east coast scout, i've watched plenty skins games and rogers is a legit corner. great 1st post

I guess the point you failed to grasp was that since he's not an improvement at the CB position we're better off keeping the money and playing the young guys. The season doesn't appear to be headed in a Super Bowl winning direction with or w/o Carlos Rogers.

I guess the point you failed to grasp was that since he's not an improvement at the CB position we're better off keeping the money and playing the young guys. The season doesn't appear to be headed in a Super Bowl winning direction with or w/o Carlos Rogers.

So what your saying is T. Brown, Adams, or Culliver is a better CB than him? Who plays opposite of Spencer that is going to be better than Rogers?
My thoughts on Rogers is that he is a team's number two corner. He is not going to be great, but good. And good is a lot better than what we have now, which is bad.

In other words, the team can be competitive with adding a Rogers. Right now, we are not even competitive. We have Spencer and a collection of dime corners at best.

[ Edited by MadDog49er on Aug 1, 2011 at 10:22:55 ]
We have to get another CB. What happens if someone is injured? More than one injury? Then it's 1999 again.
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:

So what your saying is T. Brown, Adams, or Culliver is a better CB than him? Who plays opposite of Spencer that is going to be better than Rogers?

Rodgers isn't great, but he is an upgrade over what we have.
Share 49ersWebzone