There are 267 users in the forums

Are we seeing a horribly managed free agency? Or something bigger?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by area49:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Because it is increasingly more obvious, daily, that Trent has no idea what he is doing. Let's stop making excuses for him. There appears to be no real plan, and we continue to be blindsided by player personnel matters, whether in the draft or free agency.

The Nate Clements debackle is just another example. Is he cut, or not cut? Yes, no, yes. Oops, we didn't get Nnamdi. Oops, we didn't get Joseph. Oops, we didn't get Marshall. Oops, Kelly Gregg gone.

It is becoming more comical daily.

P.S. Hell, we have one of the nicest, least "me" players in the NFL, Frank Gore, holding out. That is all you need to know.

Yep. This team is a joke and always will be as long as the Yorks own it.

Do you ever have anything useful to say? It doesn't have to be positive, just useful. All your post are negative, one sentence, personal attatcks.

I'm just trying to drive home a point that people don't seem to get. They know that this team is owned by the Yorks, yet still expect success.

First off: That's called being a fan, Sir. Second: Your point is just that, your point, your opinion. Why is it so important that you get people to see things the way you and a few others do?
Carr signs 4 year deal with Ravens. CB market is thinning out quickly.
they can't sign anyone.
If you look at other teams that have sucessfully pulled themselves out of the bottom of the league, Lions and Bucs, they didnt go after big free agents either. They played with mostly young players and in some cases filled their roster in with some stop gap type of players. They might not have won their divisions, but the don't play in the NFC West either.

Harbaugh never got a bunch of elite talent at Stanford, but he was able to coach them into a winning team. Until I see otherwise, I have faith that Harbaugh can do the same here.

Although, we are only carrying 5 cb's? WTF, don't teams generally have 10 or so brought into training camp. This is my only beef so far.
We better have tons of confidence in our rookies and young players because the rest of the division is stacking up

AZ-Kolb, Marshall, Stewart Bradley

STL-Sims Walker, Dahl, Al Harris

Sea-T Jackson, Sidney Rice
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
We better have tons of confidence in our rookies and young players because the rest of the division is stacking up

AZ-Kolb, Marshall, Stewart Bradley

STL-Sims Walker, Dahl, Al Harris

Sea-T Jackson, Sidney Rice

BTW Sea added Alan Branch and brought back Brandon Mebane. On a positive note the 49ers signed FB Jack Corcoran.
Wouldn't mind Asante Samuel if he is healthy.
This fan base has lost its minds, every single person thinks the formula is easy and that instant gratification leads to long term gratification. Which is never the case. I see nothing but a bunch of chicken little's acting counter productive.

You know what I've seen on this forum the last four years, "god everybody in our division is making moves and getting better....." our division has continously sucked fyi

Answer this question to yourself and see if it changes anything: If nothing changed in the 80's except our head coach was Mike Nolan and Mike Singletary do we still when any Superbowls? All the exact personal groups each year.

Anybody who is any good at fixing something will tell you that when you have a problem you don't go changing everything possible and then review the result. Most lilely you will not learn from the mistake, secondly you will create more problems than you originally had with no idea of what the cause or multiple layers of causes are. Essentially exponentially expanding your problems and time required to solve it. Don't loose rationale and grab for fixes gluttonously.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Shorteous:
This fan base has lost its minds, every single person thinks the formula is easy and that instant gratification leads to long term gratification. Which is never the case. I see nothing but a bunch of chicken little's acting counter productive.

You know what I've seen on this forum the last four years, "god everybody in our division is making moves and getting better....." our division has continously sucked fyi

Answer this question to yourself and see if it changes anything: If nothing changed in the 80's except our head coach was Mike Nolan and Mike Singletary do we still when any Superbowls? All the exact personal groups each year.

Anybody who is any good at fixing something will tell you that when you have a problem you don't go changing everything possible and then review the result. Most lilely you will not learn from the mistake, secondly you will create more problems than you originally had with no idea of what the cause or multiple layers of causes are. Essentially exponentially expanding your problems and time required to solve it. Don't loose rationale and grab for fixes gluttonously.

I think you mean win any Superbowl's...

[ Edited by Jcool on Jul 30, 2011 at 12:08:09 ]
Originally posted by matt49er:
Originally posted by stever:
Originally posted by PTulini:
I'm going hold back my judgement for now. I think it's just that Trent Baalke was waiting for the FA market to settle down. There has been a lot of money thrown around over the last few days as teams tend to get aggressive. Now it appears we're getting into the 2nd tier of players. There are still a lot of good players available and now we can pay reasonable money for them as the prices fall. I think Trent Baalke is looking at "bang for the buck" scenarios. We have several holes to fill on this roster and now we can begin to spread the money around. I think we're being smart about it. Again, I'm going hold back my judgement for now. We still have a long way to go! Personally, I choose to be optimistic.

I am with you. At first i was very disappointed that we did not get one of the big names, but seeing how much money was paid for some players, i think the strategie is ok. I was upset when it became clear, that we won't get Nnadmi, but after he chose the eagles, it was clear, that he wanted to play for a contender, so we never had a chance. Lets see, who we get from the 2nd tier to fill our holes at cornerback, center and safety and make our judgement in a week or two.

THIS!

it's not like we're not going to spend some $$, we released Clements and Carr. We will get a CB maybe 2, probably a vet C and WR along with some depth for the OL/DL is what i expect to happen. look i would love for us to be active and getting players but would it translate to wins? maybe, maybe not, let's see what we have now that we have a coach instead of a speaker, fill holes, build through the draft.

what gets ppl upset is that the 49ers are close in terms of winning the west. hopefully our organization doesn't see that as the goal, rather we're trying to become legit winners. david akers will not be our only FA signing by the end of the weekend.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees the big picture!

Originally posted by ObePwnD:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Because it is increasingly more obvious, daily, that Trent has no idea what he is doing. Let's stop making excuses for him. There appears to be no real plan, and we continue to be blindsided by player personnel matters, whether in the draft or free agency.

The Nate Clements debackle is just another example. Is he cut, or not cut? Yes, no, yes. Oops, we didn't get Nnamdi. Oops, we didn't get Joseph. Oops, we didn't get Marshall. Oops, Kelly Gregg gone.

It is becoming more comical daily.

P.S. Hell, we have one of the nicest, least "me" players in the NFL, Frank Gore, holding out. That is all you need to know.

Yep. This team is a joke and always will be as long as the Yorks own it.

Do you ever have anything useful to say? It doesn't have to be positive, just useful. All your post are negative, one sentence, personal attatcks.

I'm just trying to drive home a point that people don't seem to get. They know that this team is owned by the Yorks, yet still expect success.

First off: That's called being a fan, Sir. Second: Your point is just that, your point, your opinion. Why is it so important that you get people to see things the way you and a few others do?

The reason this team has been so bad the last 8 years is because of this attitude. Stop watching and going to the games, and I guarantee you'll get new owners, owners who will actually know how to run a team.
yeah when were we in the playoffs? wasn't that with T.O. and Mariucci? dude that's a DAMM long time ago and watching all the other teams in our division trying to get better by getting quality players SUX! .....

so we got a kicker that the eagles didn't want for missing kicks against the packers?

and we have money to spend (20 MILL)
oh well call gore who with a 5 mill deal this year is going to sit out and we'll give him all the money so he can show up and breakdown again.. with no cbs we are going to be torched every week don't need gore we need another 5 wr's cuz we got no db's.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by Shorteous:

Answer this question to yourself and see if it changes anything: If nothing changed in the 80's except our head coach was Mike Nolan and Mike Singletary do we still win any Superbowls? All the exact personal groups each year.

I think you mean win any Superbowl's...

whoops, yes WIN not when
It really sucks seeing that the GM of our team appears to be in over his head.

However I ready to accept the idea that he does have a plan, and it doesn't include overspending for what he considers marginal players in the opening frenzy of free agency. If we finally manage to land a good CB through a trade, and sign one the available quality centers I will feel much better about this whole situation and of Baalke.

[ Edited by KowboyKiller on Jul 30, 2011 at 12:29:30 ]
Share 49ersWebzone