There are 201 users in the forums

Are we seeing a horribly managed free agency? Or something bigger?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by Shorteous:
This fan base has lost its minds, every single person thinks the formula is easy and that instant gratification leads to long term gratification. Which is never the case. I see nothing but a bunch of chicken little's acting counter productive.

You know what I've seen on this forum the last four years, "god everybody in our division is making moves and getting better....." our division has continously sucked fyi

Answer this question to yourself and see if it changes anything: If nothing changed in the 80's except our head coach was Mike Nolan and Mike Singletary do we still when any Superbowls? All the exact personal groups each year.

Anybody who is any good at fixing something will tell you that when you have a problem you don't go changing everything possible and then review the result. Most lilely you will not learn from the mistake, secondly you will create more problems than you originally had with no idea of what the cause or multiple layers of causes are. Essentially exponentially expanding your problems and time required to solve it. Don't loose rationale and grab for fixes gluttonously.

I think you mean win any Superbowl's...

I believe that is superbowls, not superbowl's
You guys are a bunch of cry babies. Dont you know that we aren't going big in FA because we want to sign our own guys????

Oh wait, that was the excuse the last 3 years.....

I guess I'll file that under the "Dont Tell Me, Show Me" marketing/deception schemes.

[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Jul 30, 2011 at 12:54:19 ]
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
You guys are a bunch of cry babies. Dont you know that we are going big in FA because we want to sign our own guys????

As long as we don't sign goldson... (or if we do we don't sign him for too much)
Originally posted by dtcomposer:
This fan base has lost its minds, every single person thinks the formula is easy and that instant gratification leads to long term gratification. Which is never the case. I see nothing but a bunch of chicken little's acting counter productive.

You know what I've seen on this forum the last four years, "god everybody in our division is making moves and getting better....." our division has continously sucked fyi

Answer this question to yourself and see if it changes anything: If nothing changed in the 80's except our head coach was Mike Nolan and Mike Singletary do we still when any Superbowls? All the exact personal groups each year.

Anybody who is any good at fixing something will tell you that when you have a problem you don't go changing everything possible and then review the result. Most lilely you will not learn from the mistake, secondly you will create more problems than you originally had with no idea of what the cause or multiple layers of causes are. Essentially exponentially expanding your problems and time required to solve it. Don't loose rationale and grab for fixes gluttonously.

I think the only true egregious thing was I put when instead of win.
Only time will tell. New coach means new players that fit what he is trying to accomplish. A good coach and scheme can make average players better.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
IMO, I think they're willing to give our current roster a shot till they really start purging it and adding big time names to the team.
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
It really sucks seeing that the GM of our team appears to be in over his head.

However I ready to accept the idea that he does have a plan, and it doesn't include overspending for what he considers marginal players in the opening frenzy of free agency. If we finally manage to land a good CB through a trade, and sign one the available quality centers I will feel much better about this whole situation and of Baalke.

I would actually feel much better right now if the whole "GM search" wasn't a total farce.... if it wasn't an absolute insult to those that hold this team close to their hearts.... I would also feel much better if we had zero A. Smith's as opposed to the gluttony of sub par A. Smith's that now occupy our sub-par roster....
Originally posted by PTulini:
I'm going hold back my judgement for now. I think it's just that Trent Baalke was waiting for the FA market to settle down. There has been a lot of money thrown around over the last few days as teams tend to get aggressive. Now it appears we're getting into the 2nd tier of players. There are still a lot of good players available and now we can pay reasonable money for them as the prices fall. I think Trent Baalke is looking at "bang for the buck" scenarios. We have several holes to fill on this roster and now we can begin to spread the money around. I think we're being smart about it. Again, I'm going hold back my judgement for now. We still have a long way to go! Personally, I choose to be optimistic.

Ok, but one example of where I think the FO has lost it is Nick Barnett! Great player.
Say your theory is right. Once these second tier guys start coming into play, then the 49ers needed to move. The need for ilb is there and teams weren't lining up for NB services. We could have had a smart good player or at least made an offer, but we go immediately after a released seventh rounder. For special teams. We are going to have the best special teams in the history of the league.

f**k
Originally posted by Kolohe:
IMO, I think they're willing to give our current roster a shot till they really start purging it and adding big time names to the team.

I agree with this. We've lost some players, yeah, but lets not forget that this is still basically the same team that was the NFC West favorite last year, a "young talented team on the rise."

also, Baalke seems to have a somewhat old school/Belichekian stance on the value of players. When the Pats let their free agents walk people praise their patience and foresight and ability to reload. Not saying that Baalke is Beliechek or that our approach is definitely going to work, but lets give the team a season to see how it all shakes out before going home and biting our tear soaked pillows.
We are witnessing something bigger.

We are winning the race for the most supplemental draft picks next year.

We should get a 3rd for Baas if he actually got top 5 center money.

We should get a 3rd for Goldson if he gets top 5 money from the Raiders.

The market for Lawson and Franklin aren't as strong as previously thought, imo,
but should fetch us at least a couple mid round picks next year.

Spikes and Laboy should cancel out Akers, Grant and that FB Jack Kovorkien (something like that/ close enough )

Winning!!!

• Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtcomposer:

Mines not the one with the little red line under it!
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
This is a bad team and a bad front office. Has been for some time now. Remember in the early 90's we use to sign players we never thought we would get? Deion, Kevin Greene, Doleman, Gogan...etc. Players want to win and players talk. If us fans know that the front office is inexperienced would you as a player want to play here? Wouldn't you as a player take less money to play in places like New England, Philly, Pittsburgh? We are losing players left and right and I don't see that sense of urgency from the front office. I hear that we're interested in players but this team needs to start signing.
And now a Plaxico Burress pursuit.... another thing to add to a disastrous free agency period....
  • Veteran
Some fans are trying to be optimistic and relate this melt down to Walsh's 78-79 era. I like Harbaugh, but he is no Bill Walsh and Jed is not his uncle Eddie. I am wondering what is behind this lack of commitment to improvement of the roster. Are they trying to clear house? Do they really believe in the players that they have? Is Harbaugh's ego so big that he thinks he could win with this team?
Share 49ersWebzone