There are 201 users in the forums

Are we seeing a horribly managed free agency? Or something bigger?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
#Suck4Luck....

#Baalkesux....

[ Edited by Baalkesux on Jul 30, 2011 at 08:52:33 ]
Originally posted by NorthNiner:
Originally posted by JustMike:
In just a few short days, we all went from being happy that football is back, to bickering over the front office and this free agency. But instead of seeing this as a failure as some have suggested, maybe this is the plan.
Maybe this teams personel is very much all wrong for the kind of team Harbaugh and co. are wanting to build. We have had nearly a decade of horrible to mediocre football, instead of trying to build little by little and trying to turn a group of players 180 degrees, why not blow it up and build from scratch?
If you think about it, it actually makes a lot of the moves, thus far, add up:
Alex Smith: better a vet with little chance to succeed take the lumps during the mass transition.
Releasing some vets: out with the old and in with youth, to be trained in their earliest stages of there careers.

This is my thinking, it may be flawed or right on the money. I think its a risky move and I am for it, I would rather this team set itself up for a long stretch of success than a inconsistant run with lots of bumps in the road.

What do you people think?

This has been going on for a decade. Why are fans so willing to accept another rebuild?

Why do some fans think we ever stopped rebuilding?
In just a few short days, we all went from being happy that football is back, to bickering over the front office and this free agency. But instead of seeing this as a failure as some have suggested, maybe this is the plan.
Maybe this teams personel is very much all wrong for the kind of team Harbaugh and co. are wanting to build. We have had nearly a decade of horrible to mediocre football, instead of trying to build little by little and trying to turn a group of players 180 degrees, why not blow it up and build from scratch?
Alex Smith: better a vet with little chance to succeed take the lumps during the mass transition.
Releasing some vets: out with the old and in with youth, to be trained in their earliest stages of there careers.

This is my thinking, it may be flawed or right on the money. I think its a risky move and I am for it, I would rather this team set itself up for a long stretch of success than a inconsistant run with lots of bumps in the road.

This has been going on for a decade. Why are fans so willing to accept another rebuild?

Jim Harbaugh isn't carrying the baggage of the last two regimes, so what choice do the fans have? Other than forcing an ownership change (which is a complete impossibility) we can accept that we're re-building, go elsewhere, or whine incessantly.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

Because last year we had a solid enough team to win the west. It was coaching, plain and simple. Now we have a new coach everywhere on the roster, but our personel is significantly diffrent.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

Because last year we had a solid enough team to win the west. It was coaching, plain and simple. Now we have a new coach everywhere on the roster, but our personel is significantly diffrent.

The division sucked so we weren't rebuilding last year? But we were the year before, and are now?
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:

The division sucked so we weren't rebuilding last year? But we were the year before, and are now?

We've been trying to improve for the last two years, but rebuilding, no. We had the same defensive unit for nearly four years, and the same core O players in Gore,Davis, Crabs, Morgan, Walker and Smith (yikes). That is not a "rebuilding" team, though you could argue the main ingrediant (QB) was lacking.
What you are see now is a rebuild, when half your defensive starters are gone, and last years special team and third string players are now your starters, you are rebuilding. Period.
Originally posted by midrdan:
I think the new regime wants to develop their guys. Harbaugh comes from college, he's used to working with youth, and ultimately I think he'd prefer to create "his" team rather than sign a bunch of vets to plug holes. Reminds me of Walsh, who built him team through the draft and signed key free agents as finishing touches. I'm tired of people on this site complaining that we haven't made a big splash in free agency, as if we were a player or two away from greatness. I'd rather watch a young team come up together than a collection of Travis LaBoys.

Well Said!
I wish the over the top fans could see this perspective. I want to win too, and win now, but realistically this is the best strategy.

We've been trying to improve for the last two years, but rebuilding, no. We had the same defensive unit for nearly four years, and the same core O players in Gore,Davis, Crabs, Morgan, Walker and Smith (yikes). That is not a "rebuilding" team, though you could argue the main ingrediant (QB) was lacking.
What you are see now is a rebuild, when half your defensive starters are gone, and last years special team and third string players are now your starters, you are rebuilding. Period.

Denis Erikson dismantled the team, then Mike Nolen and Mike Singletary tried to build the 2000 ravens and the '85 bears. Its been nearly 10 years since a coach and gm came along and tried to build a real 49ers team.
I share the frustration of having a bad team. For 10 years this team has been getting away from what works and what prooved to works wonders for us. Now we are finally getting to see the 49ers be built. No more crap that worked in this year or that year, its time we are getting back to what made this team a dynasty that spanned 2 decades.
This is why im not going to cry over not getting the big name. Im more focused on the big picture. Ill take early struggles over spending another 10 years of trying to reinvent the wheel.
Remember Harbaugh said he would make Bellicheck look loose lipped. Probably won't hear much of anything until a deal is done.

Denis Erikson dismantled the team, then Mike Nolen and Mike Singletary tried to build the 2000 ravens and the '85 bears. Its been nearly 10 years since a coach and gm came along and tried to build a real 49ers team.
I share the frustration of having a bad team. For 10 years this team has been getting away from what works and what prooved to works wonders for us. Now we are finally getting to see the 49ers be built. No more crap that worked in this year or that year, its time we are getting back to what made this team a dynasty that spanned 2 decades.
This is why im not going to cry over not getting the big name. Im more focused on the big picture. Ill take early struggles over spending another 10 years of trying to reinvent the wheel.

The only problem is we've heard this all before. I was pretty convinced when Sing initially got on board too. I'm sold on Harbaugh, but I have a ton of doubt when it comes to Fiango. The guy loses everywhere he goes. Now he'll have an excuse of why his defense sucks for the next two years because he can always say he had to start over. Why people think that because he worked with Capers he'll be the next great DC is beyond me? Thats like saying I spared with Pac-Man so I'm the next boxing ledgend even though my record is 3-15.

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
We are horribly managed and it is a plan. The move for Harbaugh was to placate the fan base. They do this every so often. Like Clements when we signed him too. They have to make it seem like they are trying. But lots of other teams shelled out top dollar for top FA's this offseason and are very aggressive. And we could be too. But we don't want to be. We want to save money. When FA started they said they weren't going to be major players. So they told people where they stand. But it wasn't like we were great and couldn't improve a lot. We were in fact bad.

This. And it won't change until we get some competent owners.

[ Edited by area49 on Jul 30, 2011 at 10:10:30 ]

Agreed. This is truly a rebuild because we have the potential for this team looking totally different than it has in about 4-5 years. I would've loved to have seen some of our free agents resign, but it's not as if their on field contributions are irreplaceable. Truth be told, they can all walk. Perhaps Manny's price will come down and we may work something out with him on our own terms. What we will get the opportunity to see is our young guys get extensive playing time, something that they usually don't get much of an opportunity to get. I will say that there is one player I'd like to see us make a play for (Braylon Edwards). I'm hopeful about Crabtree, but in all honesty, it's mostly hope. Not that Braylon Edwards is a dominating receiver, but a Edwards/Crabtree combo has me much more comfortable than a Crabtree/Morgan combo.
There are 2 sides to FA and players like to go to contenders.
Because it is increasingly more obvious, daily, that Trent has no idea what he is doing. Let's stop making excuses for him. There appears to be no real plan, and we continue to be blindsided by player personnel matters, whether in the draft or free agency.

The Nate Clements debackle is just another example. Is he cut, or not cut? Yes, no, yes. Oops, we didn't get Nnamdi. Oops, we didn't get Joseph. Oops, we didn't get Marshall. Oops, Kelly Gregg gone.

It is becoming more comical daily.

P.S. Hell, we have one of the nicest, least "me" players in the NFL, Frank Gore, holding out. That is all you need to know.

[ Edited by MadDog49er on Jul 30, 2011 at 10:36:25 ]
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Because it is increasingly more obvious, daily, that Trent has no idea what he is doing. Let's stop making excuses for him. There appears to be no real plan, and we continue to be blindsided by player personnel matters, whether in the draft or free agency.

This.
Share 49ersWebzone