LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 139 users in the forums

Are we seeing a horribly managed free agency? Or something bigger?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
as of yesterday im in my own rebuilding mode still thats not saying much..but saying horrible is too strong a word more in my humble opinion i wouuld say conservative or cash friendly or are we goona throw big money at franklyn and gore ? i would have to lean towards something bigger like let things settle sign our own whos not left yet . get in some preseason and pray
First overall pick for andrew luck will be cheap next season!
Front office mentioned that there would be no big splash in FA and its been pretty much that other than the Nnamdi offer, if you call it an offer.
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
First overall pick for andrew luck will be cheap next season!
I think I am tired of sinking money into a franchise that hasn't produced winning football in 8 seasons. Teams don't just decide to rebuild after you lose 8 straight seasons, that is supposed to be why you are losing, your rebuilding. Some are right in saying that things are early but I also know that the top end free agents that would have upgraded this team at key positions are just about gone and at this point with this roster, things look incredibly far stretched for us winning the weakest division in football that was the weakest division in footbal history just a season ago.

I have canceled my season ticket holder. I'm done buying jerseys and I was planning to attend the redskins and niners game and maybe even the ravens and 49ers game but I doubt I will attend either at this point, unless things change for the better and quickly. I know everybody is excited that football is back after such a long offseason, but I have better things to spend my money on until this team proves what Jed told us just a few short months ago, and that was that they were ready to compete for a divison title now.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
They are simply not going to overpay for players. I don't see what is so confusing about this.

Its like watching the first part of a marathon and seeing some amateur runner sprint out way far into the lead just so he can be on TV. The webzone would of course cheer him on, saying things like, "Now THATS a winner!", "HE has a commitment to excellence!", "He really CARES about winning!".

Of course, 30 min later, when the Kenyans have their legs warmed up, the tired idiot who sprinted into the lead for short term glory gets passes up by dozens of runners.

UNLESS you feel you have a shot at the Super Bowl, sprinting to the lead while sacrificing the rest of the marathon is simply idiotic. The point is to win the race, not to show off for 30 min and then get passed up by the crowd.

A losing team has to build through the draft, and look for bargains in free agency. When that team makes it to the playoffs, all of a sudden, free agents start to look and think, "Wow, they have really improved." And they are more likely to want to sign with a team on the rise. Then you can overspend, and try to win a championship.

You're right. BUT.......we have sucked for years with this approach. The problem with carrying out this philosophy--as sound as it is--is that the people making the decisions about who leaves and who we pick up have to be good at their jobs. That has not been the case for a while. MAYBE Baalke is an improvement--I am skeptical--but if he is we may be ok.....in another 5 years. How long is Harbaugh's contract again?
Originally posted by ajsjohnson:
They are simply not going to overpay for players. I don't see what is so confusing about this.

Its like watching the first part of a marathon and seeing some amateur runner sprint out way far into the lead just so he can be on TV. The webzone would of course cheer him on, saying things like, "Now THATS a winner!", "HE has a commitment to excellence!", "He really CARES about winning!".

Of course, 30 min later, when the Kenyans have their legs warmed up, the tired idiot who sprinted into the lead for short term glory gets passes up by dozens of runners.

UNLESS you feel you have a shot at the Super Bowl, sprinting to the lead while sacrificing the rest of the marathon is simply idiotic. The point is to win the race, not to show off for 30 min and then get passed up by the crowd.

A losing team has to build through the draft, and look for bargains in free agency. When that team makes it to the playoffs, all of a sudden, free agents start to look and think, "Wow, they have really improved." And they are more likely to want to sign with a team on the rise. Then you can overspend, and try to win a championship.

You're right. BUT.......we have sucked for years with this approach. The problem with carrying out this philosophy--as sound as it is--is that the people making the decisions about who leaves and who we pick up have to be good at their jobs. That has not been the case for a while. MAYBE Baalke is an improvement--I am skeptical--but if he is we may be ok.....in another 5 years. How long is Harbaugh's contract again?

1 reason it may have not panned out for some of our draft choices is horrible coaching. But yeah, there were lots of bad picks the last few gms. Im optimistic that Harbaugh and co. will do a much better job when it comes to player evaluating and coaching talent. We haven't seen anything yet, give it time. Aleast a few weeks into the season before labeling this team as done already.
Originally posted by PTulini:
I'm going hold back my judgement for now. I think it's just that Trent Baalke was waiting for the FA market to settle down. There has been a lot of money thrown around over the last few days as teams tend to get aggressive. Now it appears we're getting into the 2nd tier of players. There are still a lot of good players available and now we can pay reasonable money for them as the prices fall. I think Trent Baalke is looking at "bang for the buck" scenarios. We have several holes to fill on this roster and now we can begin to spread the money around. I think we're being smart about it. Again, I'm going hold back my judgement for now. We still have a long way to go! Personally, I choose to be optimistic.

I am with you. At first i was very disappointed that we did not get one of the big names, but seeing how much money was paid for some players, i think the strategie is ok. I was upset when it became clear, that we won't get Nnadmi, but after he chose the eagles, it was clear, that he wanted to play for a contender, so we never had a chance. Lets see, who we get from the 2nd tier to fill our holes at cornerback, center and safety and make our judgement in a week or two.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

so true....

Look at Tampa Bay, they have a ridiculous amount of money that they HAVE to spend and they've barely done anything. Harbaugh was right when he said that 3/4 of the NFL is being patient like us.
Originally posted by JohnnyMo49:

so true....

Look at Tampa Bay, they have a ridiculous amount of money that they HAVE to spend and they've barely done anything. Harbaugh was right when he said that 3/4 of the NFL is being patient like us.

I wish we had some of the young stars Tampa Bay has.

Originally posted by stever:
Originally posted by PTulini:
I'm going hold back my judgement for now. I think it's just that Trent Baalke was waiting for the FA market to settle down. There has been a lot of money thrown around over the last few days as teams tend to get aggressive. Now it appears we're getting into the 2nd tier of players. There are still a lot of good players available and now we can pay reasonable money for them as the prices fall. I think Trent Baalke is looking at "bang for the buck" scenarios. We have several holes to fill on this roster and now we can begin to spread the money around. I think we're being smart about it. Again, I'm going hold back my judgement for now. We still have a long way to go! Personally, I choose to be optimistic.

I am with you. At first i was very disappointed that we did not get one of the big names, but seeing how much money was paid for some players, i think the strategie is ok. I was upset when it became clear, that we won't get Nnadmi, but after he chose the eagles, it was clear, that he wanted to play for a contender, so we never had a chance. Lets see, who we get from the 2nd tier to fill our holes at cornerback, center and safety and make our judgement in a week or two.

THIS!

it's not like we're not going to spend some $$, we released Clements and Carr. We will get a CB maybe 2, probably a vet C and WR along with some depth for the OL/DL is what i expect to happen. look i would love for us to be active and getting players but would it translate to wins? maybe, maybe not, let's see what we have now that we have a coach instead of a speaker, fill holes, build through the draft.

what gets ppl upset is that the 49ers are close in terms of winning the west. hopefully our organization doesn't see that as the goal, rather we're trying to become legit winners. david akers will not be our only FA signing by the end of the weekend.
  • Envy
  • Veteran
I agree at the start I would like to have seen a bit more urgency about the free agency but I don't think we should be chasing big names to just please some moronic 'fans'. I am of the opinion that JH and his coaches want to find their sort of players. Now I'm sure there are a few of them out in free agency that they can see but as previously mentioned we need to be patient.

For all we know there is a huge amount discussion going on in the background that the 9ers don't want people to know about.

Right now we haven't even started a game under JH and frankly I think I'll judge him on the performances not the hysterics of some haters

[ Edited by Envy on Jul 30, 2011 at 06:01:49 ]
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
Originally posted by JohnnyMo49:

so true....

I wish we had some of the young stars Tampa Bay has.

Could have had Freeman instead of Crabtree and Blount instead of Dixon... just sayin'.
I love reading all the posts by the drama queens on here. Its comical.

Of coarse, these would be the same people b**ching about how we made terrible deals if we did just start making deals(like the Redskins.)

I dont disagree with what you're saying, but I would like to add a couple of things. First, because we haven't produced a winnig record in eight years we will have to over pay for any "percieved" quality FA. The only way we can go cheap or find a deal is if we grab a guy trying to resurrect his career, ala Walt Harris/Mike Lewis. Second, even if you dont think we should "over pay," at some point you have to upgrade and spend some money. I woke up this morning thinking about the fact we will be fielding Haralson and Brooks, Spencer and T.Brown, Smith and Spillman. Honestly, we can't go into the season like that. At some point you got to shell out some money, because the fans (us) deserve it. It would be one thing if we just came off a playoff birth, but we haven't had enough success for the FO to be like, "screw it, we are rebuilding. We dont care about the 2012 record."

[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Jul 30, 2011 at 06:46:04 ]
Share 49ersWebzone