There are 77 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Do you think the Niners will make the playoffs this year?

Do you think the Niners will make the playoffs this year?

Member Milestone: This is post number 200 for Willisfn4life.
Originally posted by bassmanr:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by smithgdwg:
If we make the playoffs this year, than Harbaugh must be one of the Gods. He would be considered the best coach ever in any sport.

It would be the most amazing thing in history forget about sports....The man on the moon, Microsoft or what ever you could dream of. Harbaugh taking Lucky Sperm's team of rejects minus Willis and Davis to the playoffs.

Sorry aint gonna happen.

I remember some guy on sports 910 saying last season before the season that if John Fox got five wins out of the Carolina Panthers then he should be coach of the year. They had key talent at certain positions like us, probably even more. They had perhaps the best running back tandem in the NFL. One of the better wide receivers out there when healthy. One of the better offensive lines in the NFL. On defense, they had a solid pass rush from their ends, especially Charles Johnson. One of the better linebackers in the game and a solid but not spectacular secondary. Better than what we have now. Most of all they had quarterback question marks going into the season, I'd say pretty comparable circumstances to us at the current moment and if that team was a two win team, how am I to believe our current roster is much more than that?

[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Jul 30, 2011 at 05:03:15 ]
no because of one person. A Smith.... Lets hope he doesnt lose us any games
  • Envy
  • Veteran
I think we will because I believe our coaching team is better than the rest of the NFC West. Bold statement considering they ain't played a game yet but I see the lack of predictability being a key factor in our success.

Plus I just think we are going to be a smarter team now. We almost had it last year being a stupid one.

[ Edited by Envy on Jul 30, 2011 at 11:42:05 ]
Originally posted by 49ersGiantspride:
Originally posted by LeadFarmer:
YES

Arizona - Kolb, really? Didn't we nearly beat him when he was on the Eagles? Anyway he's learning a new system too, and we've owned the Tards of late.

Seattle - Tavaris Jackson. Enough Said

Rams - I don't believe they have the defense, but I think they will be our biggest competition. Bradford, Sims-Walker, and Jackson is pretty solid. There o-line is still pretty shaky however.

Anyway, I don't see how our team can be worse than last year and should make the playoffs. Probably get eliminated fairly quickly but we should make it.

Nearly beating someone is still losing

Everything you mentioned is true however all of those teams know their systems on offense and defense.The defense was talking about how the new system was much different than Manusky's and how it was more complex. Speaking of which our secondary and defense has been dismantled, which is even worse because the defense was our strength despite the bad secondary and pass rush.The niners lost Franklin,Spikes,Goldson and Clements that's 4 starters on defense alone On offense we lost our #1 receiver for the first 6 weeks of the season, our RB who likely has limited knowedge of the WCO is holding out, our O-line depth took a hit with Baas leaving and Heitman getting hurt and cut, and we still have no franchise QB. What's worse is if Alex gets hurt who replaces him? Kaepernick isn't anywhere near ready. Its way too optimistic to think this team will make the playoffs like this.

We almost beat him on the Eagles, who are much better. Should be able to handle him learning a new system on a worse team.

Crabs didnt have that great of a season last year anyway, and we are looking at bringing in a WR, nearly got Ochocinco.

We lost Spikes, who can be replaced. He was being replaced last year by Bowman who should be much improved.
Clements was cut and at worse will be resigned and at best upgraded (cromartie)
And we havn't lost Goldson and were letting Franklin walk. Doesn't seem to be a lot of interest in them from other teams anyway.

Everyone is freaking out over losing players they didnt want last year anyway.

Bottom Line: We are 3 years away from being a competitive playoff football team. And I say 3 years because it will take Kaep that long to develop (if he is the answer). Why would we break the bank on a bunch of Free Agents for THIS SEASON.

[ Edited by LeadFarmer on Jul 30, 2011 at 09:05:12 ]
Nope, too many holes and too little time. We're headed for a top 10 draft pick.

-9fA
Damn this sure is a weak division and I liked our chances till we started dismantling our defensive backfield and defense , I sure hope this isn't the extent of our FA signings. I love the coaching staff but hate that there is such a short time to install the offense and defense. Probably a slow start but a little better finnish. Love that we won't be predictable again and Harbaugh will probably be very aggressive.

The truth is I am a bit disappointed with our own signings and the FA additions so far. Too many question marks and holes that are unanswered.

Disappointed but still excited about the games ....... a lifelong fan though.
Who knows.
We very well may finish last in the NFC West. Baalke has let our entire defense walk out the door. He should just finish it off by letting Justin Smith, Pat Willis and Vernon Davis go to teams that have a chance at the playoffs. He let everyone else go. God, Alex Smith is going to go through hell this year. He shouldn't have let Harbaugh talk him into coming back to this hell hole of a franchise. He is going to pay dearly for it. Everybody else split the first chance they got.
I think the division will have a repeat Sub .500 winner, the 5-11 49ers.
  • cools
  • Veteran
All the other teams in the division have made strides to improve

Niners are exuding "Patience" while all the top free agents get gobbled up

I drank that coolaid for almost a week

Patience= Worst record in the division, and we should start to have blackouts

You cant be friggin patient when you dont have a Center or a Left Corner, a heathy Split End, or a Free Safety

How bout that DL depth? are McD'. Sopo and Smith supposed to play every down, with and handfull of UDFA's backing them up

Get your sht together Niners

Im not one of those backseat GM's, Im usually optimistic and trust that the peeps in charge will do the right thing, but im now worried were going into our 3rd straight regime of boneheadeness
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Dem9erboyz:
no because of one person. A Smith.... Lets hope he doesnt lose us any games

he's been doing this for the past 6 years
Originally posted by cools:
All the other teams in the division have made strides to improve

Niners are exuding "Patience" while all the top free agents get gobbled up

I drank that coolaid for almost a week

Patience= Worst record in the division, and we should start to have blackouts

You cant be friggin patient when you dont have a Center or a Left Corner, a heathy Split End, or a Free Safety

How bout that DL depth? are McD'. Sopo and Smith supposed to play every down, with and handfull of UDFA's backing them up

Get your sht together Niners

Im not one of those backseat GM's, Im usually optimistic and trust that the peeps in charge will do the right thing, but im now worried were going into our 3rd straight regime of boneheadeness
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
Originally posted by bassmanr:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by smithgdwg:
If we make the playoffs this year, than Harbaugh must be one of the Gods. He would be considered the best coach ever in any sport.

It would be the most amazing thing in history forget about sports....The man on the moon, Microsoft or what ever you could dream of. Harbaugh taking Lucky Sperm's team of rejects minus Willis and Davis to the playoffs.

Sorry aint gonna happen.

I remember some guy on sports 910 saying last season before the season that if John Fox got five wins out of the Carolina Panthers then he should be coach of the year. They had key talent at certain positions like us, probably even more. They had perhaps the best running back tandem in the NFL. One of the better wide receivers out there when healthy. One of the better offensive lines in the NFL. On defense, they had a solid pass rush from their ends, especially Charles Johnson. One of the better linebackers in the game and a solid but not spectacular secondary. Better than what we have now. Most of all they had quarterback question marks going into the season, I'd say pretty comparable circumstances to us at the current moment and if that team was a two win team, how am I to believe our current roster is much more than that?

1) We are in a weaker division than they are.
2) Fox is a DC, not an offensive mind.
3) Every time people are expecting the niners to bust out on top we fail to live up to expectations, this year it is the opposite. So we will do what is not expected.
4) Maybe because so many positions are open, the competition to play may elevate the team as a whole.
Originally posted by 49ersGiantspride:
YES

Arizona - Kolb, really? Didn't we nearly beat him when he was on the Eagles? Anyway he's learning a new system too, and we've owned the Tards of late.

Seattle - Tavaris Jackson. Enough Said

Rams - I don't believe they have the defense, but I think they will be our biggest competition. Bradford, Sims-Walker, and Jackson is pretty solid. There o-line is still pretty shaky however.

Anyway, I don't see how our team can be worse than last year and should make the playoffs. Probably get eliminated fairly quickly but we should make it.

Nearly beating someone is still losing

Everything you mentioned is true however all of those teams know their systems on offense and defense.The defense was talking about how the new system was much different than Manusky's and how it was more complex. Speaking of which our secondary and defense has been dismantled, which is even worse because the defense was our strength despite the bad secondary and pass rush.The niners lost Franklin,Spikes,Goldson and Clements that's 4 starters on defense alone On offense we lost our #1 receiver for the first 6 weeks of the season, our RB who likely has limited knowedge of the WCO is holding out, our O-line depth took a hit with Baas leaving and Heitman getting hurt and cut, and we still have no franchise QB. What's worse is if Alex gets hurt who replaces him? Kaepernick isn't anywhere near ready. Its way too optimistic to think this team will make the playoffs like this.

We almost beat him on the Eagles, who are much better. Should be able to handle him learning a new system on a worse team.

Crabs didnt have that great of a season last year anyway, and we are looking at bringing in a WR, nearly got Ochocinco.

We lost Spikes, who can be replaced. He was being replaced last year by Bowman who should be much improved.
Clements was cut and at worse will be resigned and at best upgraded (cromartie)
And we havn't lost Goldson and were letting Franklin walk. Doesn't seem to be a lot of interest in them from other teams anyway.

Everyone is freaking out over losing players they didnt want last year anyway.

Bottom Line: We are 3 years away from being a competitive playoff football team. And I say 3 years because it will take Kaep that long to develop (if he is the answer). Why would we break the bank on a bunch of Free Agents for THIS SEASON.

so then you agree we aren't making the playoffs?

No one wanted those players but with the lockout keeping them was better than what we have now.

If not people lets remember work stoppages can screw everyone, in 1982 we were defending champions and we went 3-6. That team had Montana,Lott,Dean and Clark. We went 6-10 last year and we lost 5 starters this season is a rebuilding season.
We'll have to see how the division goes. Alot of different staff and players on board could take some time for everything to gel. Out of the 4 teams in the division we might be the 4th or 3rd settled.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home