LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 282 users in the forums

Do free agents want to play for the 49ers ?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
maybe not...who knows b/c i think people would be exited to play for harbaugh with gore davis and on defense with willis justin smith so who knows.

but i would think nnamdi would want to go to a sure winner like the jets over a probable division like the niners....the question is will he enjoy taking the back seat to revis???
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by susweel:
Been thinking about this free agency and I've come to the conclusion that most free agents dont want to play for the 49ers.

The team hasn't been relevant in the NFL for almost a decade.
Ownership is known as cheap asses around the league.
Rookie HC and rookie GM.
Worst stadium in the NFL.
Cost of living is high and state taxes are high.

The only way we really can get top notch players is if we over pay.

am I wrong on this one ???

I'm tired, so mind my grammar below.

The stuff above has something to do with it (though I don't think the 49ers are known for being cheap anymore after grabbing Clements & Justin Smith in FA, plus paying Willis & VD), but the 49ers are essentially rebooting the team... again.

Look, since Nolan was hired, this organization hasn't known which way is up. Sure, we spend the cash on free agents, but between a new offensive coordinator every season and Nolan & Singletary both failing miserably, the Niners haven't really shown they are overly competent regarding putting together a winning football team.

Not to mention they don't draft well... at all.

You can't ignore how badly Singletary failed. That was front-page, big black letters, massive headlines failure. Plus, the fact that the Niners are still messing around with Alex doesn't help convince potential new players that the organization is moving on.

Granted, Harbaugh could be a breath of fresh air. But as it stands right now, the 49ers ARE NOT one of the smart football organizations in the NFL.

Basically, all we have to offer is the nice weather in Cali and the opportunity for players to compete to start. Besides TE, MLB, and a couple positions on the OL, every position is open right now.

That's my 2ยข.

Great point right there, cant believe I left that out.
Free agents want to play for the $$$.
Originally posted by Engleburger:
I heard we were on Ochocincos list of teams he wanted to be on

Yeah, if the Pats weren't in the picture, he'd be a 49er today.
The 9ers have been the only team iv'e ever supported. Since I can remember iv'e trashed, bad mouthed, hated other teams and even beat up other kids who were'nt 49er fans. I want to be a fan as long as im alive. I'm allmost 25 now and iv'e been raising hell for the squad since I was about 7 or so and i'm born and raised here in south Texas. I go into the sports bar every week to watch the 9er game and its been, I won't say embarrassing, it just hasn't been fun or entertaining to watch. Now we have a new head coach and his staff of choice. I wanted Harbaugh to lead the team just as bad as the next fan and I hope they can make something happen with what we have. With that said.

C'MON 9ERS

Stadium doesn't mean crap... name me a team who has won a super bowl AFTER having a space ship stadium built? Cards... nope! Cowgirls... nope! Colts... nope! Jets/Giants... nope! Texans... nope! The Pack did win a super bow with one of the oldest stadiums and in a cold weather town. They also picked up FA's with a rookie head coach...
  • fly15
  • Veteran
I dont think the team has any money
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
Stadium doesn't mean crap... name me a team who has won a super bowl AFTER having a space ship stadium built? Cards... nope! Cowgirls... nope! Colts... nope! Jets/Giants... nope! Texans... nope! The Pack did win a super bow with one of the oldest stadiums and in a cold weather town. They also picked up FA's with a rookie head coach...

WHAT THAT GUY SAID ^

When a RB is sweeping outside, Willis isn't thinking about what stadium he's in, he's thinking about getting to him and throwing his a$$ under the bleachers.
Originally posted by DONBIS:
Originally posted by 24plus25er:

WHAT THAT GUY SAID ^

When a RB is sweeping outside, Willis isn't thinking about what stadium he's in, he's thinking about getting to him and throwing his a$$ under the bleachers.

Damn right and that's the way it should be.

I think i can take this one

Football players, are, for the most part, straight, single young men. Their needs and wants don't differ that much from, say me at 22..From the football players that I know in the NFL, this is prettttty much what you're looking for more or less in this order...

1. money
2. a b*dass city
3. hot chicks (comes with a badass city)
4. money
5. winning

now, this may be a little circumstantial and vary as they get older and turn into veterans, like for a Brady who is married to gizelle, or Takeo spikes who has done nothing but lose his entire career, but for the most part, thats it. San Fran is a very attractive place IMO, along with New York, Chicago, Miami etc.

Teams that are very successful don't build through free agency anyway, they draft well and hold onto their players (i.e. Green Bay).

Free agency isn't going to get us out of the cellar, drafting good players and coaching will..I don't really give a f*ck about free agency but for depth and 1-2 solid starters.
I think without big money, no.

We dont go after the right free agents. We arent agressive with those that we need to be agressive with. We continue to pick up other teams throwaways, and think we are gonna tap into some unknown potential. We talk soo much about our offense, and paint the picture that our D is top notch when besides vs the run, we are almost in bottom half of the league.

As a fan base, i dont even wanna start with that. We have some of the most cry baby, change your mind every other second fans. We say football is a team sport, but most of us cant get beyond one player, and see that as a team we are just f**ked on O and D.

Some put soo much time and energy into making it about the Smith guy, that i never thought it would be so low as to now boo on every incomplete pass. We have no true no 1 WR, and the one we picked, hasnt played in the pre-season for 3 years.

What did one of our coaches say, we havent run a slant since T.O. was here. Great QB or not, our offense has been vanilla. We get a good O.C. then after one year of improvement he leaves to coach another team and has success. Not all, but more Players than not, that sucked with us, go to other teams and have success.

Tom Brady said it best one year, that i dont care if we win by 1pt or 50, a win is a win. With us, we win, and we still b***h and moan.

Property tax i think is the highest in the country, which is why many of our players leave after the season if they dont have a house in the bay area.

I mean honestly with all the issues we have with the organization, and even to the point where a year ago they made fun about how our fan base was a joke (which s**t i've never heard before that first time), honestly if your not thrown big money and you were a F/A, would u wanna come here?

[ Edited by Jersey9er on Jul 29, 2011 at 00:29:43 ]
  • hps49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DynastyChile:
I think i can take this one

Football players, are, for the most part, straight, single young men. Their needs and wants don't differ that much from, say me at 22..From the football players that I know in the NFL, this is prettttty much what you're looking for more or less in this order...

1. money
2. a b*dass city
3. hot chicks (comes with a badass city)
4. money
5. winning

now, this may be a little circumstantial and vary as they get older and turn into veterans, like for a Brady who is married to gizelle, or Takeo spikes who has done nothing but lose his entire career, but for the most part, thats it. San Fran is a very attractive place IMO, along with New York, Chicago, Miami etc.

Teams that are very successful don't build through free agency anyway, they draft well and hold onto their players (i.e. Green Bay).

Free agency isn't going to get us out of the cellar, drafting good players and coaching will..I don't really give a f*ck about free agency but for depth and 1-2 solid starters.

AGREED
If Asomugha signs with the 49ers I think that will go a long way towards regaining credibility around the league. To sign a big name free agent like that would show people that the 49ers are serious about winning. Realistically, I don't think he will sign here. I would love to be proven wrong. As long as they don't give him some ridiculous contract that will hurt the team in the long run.
Originally posted by LeftBankeNiner:
If Asomugha signs with the 49ers I think that will go a long way towards regaining credibility around the league. To sign a big name free agent like that would show people that the 49ers are serious about winning. Realistically, I don't think he will sign here. I would love to be proven wrong. As long as they don't give him some ridiculous contract that will hurt the team in the long run.

Well if there's any truth to the list of probable teams for Nnamdi to land on (9ers & jets) , I honestly think it should be us. We've got to be able to offer more money than the jets. Obviously there team is a bit more developed than ours and offers a better chance of getting into the playoff mix. Staying in Cali with the 9ers also has its Pros as well and ya'll allready know what those are.
Share 49ersWebzone