There are 82 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Baalke could be right

Originally posted by pd24:
Originally posted by NolanMustDie:
they are gutting the team and rebuilding instead of what you heard from him, how would you react to it?

Because it's quite clear that whoever is involved clearly didn't like what he saw here in terms of our own players, and allowed everyone to leave as a FA, not to mention not going after anyone in FA.

They are not gutting the team, they are not paying the high price tags for the players that have not produced.

Thank you
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Of the 9 Eagles acquisitions, five are former No. 1s, two former No. 3s, a No. 5 and undrafted Cullen Jenkins.

http://twitter.com/#!/ClaytonESPN/status/98533036022431744

It'll suck for them if they don't win the Superbowl.
Originally posted by kray28:
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Of the 9 Eagles acquisitions, five are former No. 1s, two former No. 3s, a No. 5 and undrafted Cullen Jenkins.

http://twitter.com/#!/ClaytonESPN/status/98533036022431744

It'll suck for them if they don't win the Superbowl.

What is it with all these East Coast teams that think they can buy championships?
What is it with all these East Coast teams that think they can buy championships?
Its been going on for a while, ESPN doesnt just cover the AFC/NFC East and in MLB The AL/NL East. THEY'RE BUSINESS PARTNERS. And alot of the teams back east have had some consistency and years to build off as well, but they dominate the media free agency etc. Its getting sickening.
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:
Originally posted by susweel:
They might as well shop VD and Pat around the league to see what they can fetch for them because this looks like a full rebuild.

We lost no one who's been anything more than an average player for us. Core is intact on both sides of the ball.

Youre delusional to think losing Franklin,Lawson,Spike and Clements wont hurt the defense. We were a bottom ranked run defense before Franklin. We were the the bottom ranked pass defense before Clements. We will miss Lawsons speed for every missed tackle Haralson whiffs on. Lawson also drove alot of sacks right at Justin Smith and Haralson we are gonna miss that. Plus who the f**k is gonna cover the TE now? Haralson or Brooks? Come on now this defense was just gutted dont f**king bulls**t anyone saying the cores are intact when theyre anything but.

Ok let me reword. The GOOD players from last years core are still here.

So Lawson has been such a playmaker for our defense all of the sudden? The play of our defense never dropped off when he was missing from the lineup. In fact they take him off the field on crucial downs. Adequate starter absolutely nothing more. Classic case of a player overrated by his own teams fan base. If he was that good he would have gotten a multi year deal with a team that needs a defensive playmaker, he didn't. Same goes for Franklin, hell he went to a team with a completely different defensive scheme and one he is completely unproven in. Lawson and Clements signed 1 year deals with a team known for signing last ditch players no one else is interested in signing.

Lawson could set the edge and shut down any screen that went to his side. While he never got the sacks we wanted he pushed the QB at Smith and Haralson. He was able to run down many a RB that Haralson/Brooks missed.

Who's going to cover TE's? One of our safties or LBs like any other team that doesn't have Manny Lawson. How many teams have a legitimate threat at TE that we need someone purely to cover tight ends? Maybe 2? None in our division.

Miller will tear us up and if Heap is healthy same goes for him. Both are in our division now. With capable QBs, RBs, and WRs. 49ers will struggle covering the TEs even more now.

Signing Carlos Rodgers would make losing Nate Clements a wash. That should tell you something about Nate Clements.

Rogers couldnt cover s**t last year on the Skins. They were 31st against the pass. It was Hall making the plays while Rogers was getting burned. If he was any good he would have been signed by Wash as they desperately need to fix that Secondary. What should tell you about Clements as soon as he was released he was signed by Cincy.

Bowman will be a player. Spikes is the biggest loss but I think if the coaching staff thought this was a deal breaker they would have tried to match the conservative 3 year deal he signed. They didn't.

Bowman doesnt have the meat to be a bruiser that Spikes was and hes totally out of position. Hes a OLB playing MLB who will be asked to play Spikes role. I hope for the best but its not looking pretty. More when you figure that we have no NT thats equal to Franklin.

At least Haralson can manage an 8 sack year where he had to earn it. Where as we tried everything to put Manny Lawson in position to lead the team in sacks and came up with 2.5 sacks last year on a defense that got torched by Matt Moore and the atrocious passing attack of the Panthers.

Haralson couldnt get a sack on his own unless Manny or someone drove the QB right at him. Lawson got 2.5 sacks but was up there in QB pressures and was not and never was a liability against the run or on screens. Carolina abused Spencer non stop beat up Goldson and Clements was playing gimpy. You might wanna rewatch that game and see who was being abused more.
Originally posted by susweel:
They might as well shop VD and Pat around the league to see what they can fetch for them because this looks like a full rebuild.

We lost no one who's been anything more than an average player for us. Core is intact on both sides of the ball.

Youre delusional to think losing Franklin,Lawson,Spike and Clements wont hurt the defense. We were a bottom ranked run defense before Franklin. We were the the bottom ranked pass defense before Clements. We will miss Lawsons speed for every missed tackle Haralson whiffs on. Lawson also drove alot of sacks right at Justin Smith and Haralson we are gonna miss that. Plus who the f**k is gonna cover the TE now? Haralson or Brooks? Come on now this defense was just gutted dont f**king bulls**t anyone saying the cores are intact when theyre anything but.

Ok let me reword. The GOOD players from last years core are still here.

So Lawson has been such a playmaker for our defense all of the sudden? The play of our defense never dropped off when he was missing from the lineup. In fact they take him off the field on crucial downs. Adequate starter absolutely nothing more. Classic case of a player overrated by his own teams fan base. If he was that good he would have gotten a multi year deal with a team that needs a defensive playmaker, he didn't. Same goes for Franklin, hell he went to a team with a completely different defensive scheme and one he is completely unproven in. Lawson and Clements signed 1 year deals with a team known for signing last ditch players no one else is interested in signing.

Lawson could set the edge and shut down any screen that went to his side. While he never got the sacks we wanted he pushed the QB at Smith and Haralson. He was able to run down many a RB that Haralson/Brooks missed.

Who's going to cover TE's? One of our safties or LBs like any other team that doesn't have Manny Lawson. How many teams have a legitimate threat at TE that we need someone purely to cover tight ends? Maybe 2? None in our division.

Miller will tear us up and if Heap is healthy same goes for him. Both are in our division now. With capable QBs, RBs, and WRs. 49ers will struggle covering the TEs even more now.

Signing Carlos Rodgers would make losing Nate Clements a wash. That should tell you something about Nate Clements.

Rogers couldnt cover s**t last year on the Skins. They were 31st against the pass. It was Hall making the plays while Rogers was getting burned. If he was any good he would have been signed by Wash as they desperately need to fix that Secondary. What should tell you about Clements as soon as he was released he was signed by Cincy.

Bowman will be a player. Spikes is the biggest loss but I think if the coaching staff thought this was a deal breaker they would have tried to match the conservative 3 year deal he signed. They didn't.

Bowman doesnt have the meat to be a bruiser that Spikes was and hes totally out of position. Hes a OLB playing MLB who will be asked to play Spikes role. I hope for the best but its not looking pretty. More when you figure that we have no NT thats equal to Franklin.

At least Haralson can manage an 8 sack year where he had to earn it. Where as we tried everything to put Manny Lawson in position to lead the team in sacks and came up with 2.5 sacks last year on a defense that got torched by Matt Moore and the atrocious passing attack of the Panthers.

Haralson couldnt get a sack on his own unless Manny or someone drove the QB right at him. Lawson got 2.5 sacks but was up there in QB pressures and was not and never was a liability against the run or on screens. Carolina abused Spencer non stop beat up Goldson and Clements was playing gimpy. You might wanna rewatch that game and see who was being abused more.

Lol Lawson must have been a beast pass rusher with all of those "pressures". How did he not make the probowl with all of that pressure? I can count the number of times Manny disrupted a meaningful play with his pass rush on 1 hand.

How come Manny was never the beneficiary of pressure? He wasn't the team leader in pressure, wasn't 2nd in pressure either. Not 3rd either. Weird how other players are providing more pressure but it never resulted in any sacks for Lawson the way it did for Haralson.

I watched the games fine I don't need you supplying your favorite players with sorry excuses for s**tty production to alter my opinion.

I don't know what team you watched, but having Manny Lawson on the field never stopped this defense from getting completely burned with screens.

Lawson sucked as a 49er. Covering TE's well is all gravy but really who gives 2 s**ts if he can't get sacks.

[ Edited by RichmondPete on Aug 2, 2011 at 16:59:27 ]
This is not "rebuilding". This is "no building". We are either "low-balling" free agents, or "no-balling" free agents.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
This is not "rebuilding". This is "no building". We are either "low-balling" free agents, or "no-balling" free agents.

We are fully prepared to go into the season with whoever is under contract, and hope that coaching makes enough of a difference to get us to 8-8 so that players MIGHT actually want to come here thinking that JH has something good in the works for the future.

As mentioned by you and I and many others, this is an unbelievably and sickeningly risky strategy that is almost sure to fail. We are going to have to hope that we can land someone good next year and that all our draft picks will help us fill in the gaps we have now...

Maybe they'll just use the comp picks as a safety net, and will trade away our tradeable picks for a starter or two.
We are patiently watching all the other teams in our division get better then we are. :(
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

We are fully prepared to go into the season with whoever is under contract, and hope that coaching makes enough of a difference to get us to 8-8 so that players MIGHT actually want to come here thinking that JH has something good in the works for the future.

As mentioned by you and I and many others, this is an unbelievably and sickeningly risky strategy that is almost sure to fail. We are going to have to hope that we can land someone good next year and that all our draft picks will help us fill in the gaps we have now...

Maybe they'll just use the comp picks as a safety net, and will trade away our tradeable picks for a starter or two.

Meanwhile, the Seahawks have built an offensive line that looks like this:
Okung-Gallery-Unger-Moffitt-Carpenter, have Mike Williams and Sidney Rice on the outside and Zach Miller in the middle of the field. They are a QB away, and will find someone either in the draft or free agency or trade next year. They are making the moves to get in position to win. We are years away from any form of contending.

At the same time, Arizona paid a big price to get Kolb, but now have a decent shot with Fitzgerald, Todd Heap, and possibly, Braylon Edwards.

I think Jim Harbaugh was a great hire, but this mythological, god-like crowning by many on the board is absurd. A nickel and dime corner starting for the Niners is not going to be able to compete with this, no matter the "greatness" of Harbaugh. Homerism has made many people's mind like pudding.
It's not a gutting, but it's certainly a rebuild. Gutting would involve trading away very good talent for younger guys/draft picks. I don't mind letting a lot of guys go who get paid more than we might feel comfortable with.

BUT, I can't believe we're not retaining some of the talent with at least one year f**king deals like Lawson and Franklin and Clements have received. We have plenty of cap room, and one year deals would do perfectly well to hold us over until next year's draft and free agent signing period if we want to make a splash then.

Pretty stunning to see Franklin and Lawson and Clements sign one year deals elsewhere, although part of me is thinking that if they couldn't get a long term deal in SF and get the money they wanted, they'd much rather showcase their talents on a 1 year deal on a team that actually performs well and gets media coverage.
Originally posted by pd24:
Originally posted by NolanMustDie:
they are gutting the team and rebuilding instead of what you heard from him, how would you react to it?

Because it's quite clear that whoever is involved clearly didn't like what he saw here in terms of our own players, and allowed everyone to leave as a FA, not to mention not going after anyone in FA.

They are not gutting the team, they are not paying the high price tags for the players that have not produced.

Agree. It is a smart move also to not do that, it would hurt the team in the long run.
Originally posted by dhp318:
It's not a gutting, but it's certainly a rebuild. Gutting would involve trading away very good talent for younger guys/draft picks. I don't mind letting a lot of guys go who get paid more than we might feel comfortable with.

BUT, I can't believe we're not retaining some of the talent with at least one year f**king deals like Lawson and Franklin and Clements have received. We have plenty of cap room, and one year deals would do perfectly well to hold us over until next year's draft and free agent signing period if we want to make a splash then.

Pretty stunning to see Franklin and Lawson and Clements sign one year deals elsewhere, although part of me is thinking that if they couldn't get a long term deal in SF and get the money they wanted, they'd much rather showcase their talents on a 1 year deal on a team that actually performs well and gets media coverage.

It's easy.........they don't want Franklin, Lawson and Clements and I wouldn't either. They do not fit the new defensive scheme.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Meanwhile, the Seahawks have built an offensive line that looks like this:
Okung-Gallery-Unger-Moffitt-Carpenter, have Mike Williams and Sidney Rice on the outside and Zach Miller in the middle of the field. They are a QB away, and will find someone either in the draft or free agency or trade next year. They are making the moves to get in position to win. We are years away from any form of contending.

Is that offensive line supposed to scare us or something? I like Okung, Gallery is solid, Unger is sort of a toss up for me, and that right side is so very green. It's a line that has just been cobbled together, very young, inexperienced, and hasn't worked together at all yet. Has upside, but nothing to write home about. Furthermore, the Seahawks are a QB away? Haven't we heard that somewhere else? Oh right, here in SF for the last few years.