LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 258 users in the forums

Baalke could be right

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Just because we had a few guys walk and didn't bring in a big name that equals a rebuild? I still think we have the talent to win 9 games.

thats assuming we wont average 13.7 points a game on offense.

I love your optimism, brother!!!!

I know usually this time the past few years I've been saying no way we win more than 7 or 8 games. I guess I've always put more stock in coaching/teaching/ and play calling than talent.
No, because I don't think we're rebuilding well either, and our (alleged) pursuit of Nnamdi contradicts the idea that that's what we're doing.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
No, because I don't think we're rebuilding well either, and our (alleged) pursuit of Nnamdi contradicts the idea that that's what we're doing.

_______

That's true. Still unsure of how aggressively we pursued many of these bigger name guys. I suppose it could've been all lipservice with no real intent. But I doubt it.

No way a "rebuilding" team goes after the big guys.
Originally posted by SealTeam6:
Originally posted by Whomeam:
We have yet to lose a player that I actually cared about.

A voice of reason here? Couldn't agree more. We lost a hand full of players that are largely to blame for a 6-10 season- see ya suckers.

Yup. I'd much rather get rid of all this Nolan/McCloughan trash that we've been playing then keep them around just for the hell of it. People forget that we have a NEW COACHING STAFF. We have a d-coordinator who prefers pass rushers over clowns like Manny Lawson who gets near the QB only if he has a clear path to the QB. People were complaining about Nate all of last season and even before that, and now that all of a sudden we release him because he won't accept anything less than 17 MILLION DOLLARS, the front office is stupid?

Look, even though whatever I just said above should be pretty simple, I'll say it again. This coaching staff is not keeping a bunch of average players who they feel do not fit their scheme. We are no longer a team coached by Nolan or Singeltary. We will not fit square pegs into round holes.
Originally posted by okdkid:

_______

That's true. Still unsure of how aggressively we pursued many of these bigger name guys. I suppose it could've been all lipservice with no real intent. But I doubt it.

again, if you take away words and just focus on action, it sure looks like a rebuild.
You never slip your poker hand, otherwise everybody will take advantage of you, or give you excuses when you fail.
Perhaps it's possible that Baalke is trying to accumulate a bunch of compensatory picks for next year's draft. At this point, if we pay a couple of 1 year stop-gaps we might lose out on those picks. We can't get a comp pick for Clements since he was cut. However Baas, Spikes, Franklin, Lawson, and maybe Goldson could net us some extra picks. Just a thought.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by danimal:

_______

again, if you take away words and just focus on action, it sure looks like a rebuild.

_______

Or it could be that we didn't value them at the level other teams did. Or that many of these guys wanted to play on more competitive teams (in their view). Or that Baalke can't close.

In either case, the result would be the same...but would not indicate a rebuild.

It is absolutely impossible to say with certainty. Anything otherwise is just chicken little logic.

[ Edited by okdkid on Aug 2, 2011 at 16:06:37 ]
Originally posted by niner4life21:
Originally posted by SealTeam6:
Originally posted by Whomeam:
We have yet to lose a player that I actually cared about.

A voice of reason here? Couldn't agree more. We lost a hand full of players that are largely to blame for a 6-10 season- see ya suckers.

Yup. I'd much rather get rid of all this Nolan/McCloughan trash that we've been playing then keep them around just for the hell of it. People forget that we have a NEW COACHING STAFF. We have a d-coordinator who prefers pass rushers over clowns like Manny Lawson who gets near the QB only if he has a clear path to the QB. People were complaining about Nate all of last season and even before that, and now that all of a sudden we release him because he won't accept anything less than 17 MILLION DOLLARS, the front office is stupid?

Look, even though whatever I just said above should be pretty simple, I'll say it again. This coaching staff is not keeping a bunch of average players who they feel do not fit their scheme. We are no longer a team coached by Nolan or Singeltary. We will not fit square pegs into round holes.

AMEN!
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
Originally posted by susweel:
They might as well shop VD and Pat around the league to see what they can fetch for them because this looks like a full rebuild.

We lost no one who's been anything more than an average player for us. Core is intact on both sides of the ball.

Youre delusional to think losing Franklin,Lawson,Spike and Clements wont hurt the defense. We were a bottom ranked run defense before Franklin. We were the the bottom ranked pass defense before Clements. We will miss Lawsons speed for every missed tackle Haralson whiffs on. Lawson also drove alot of sacks right at Justin Smith and Haralson we are gonna miss that. Plus who the f**k is gonna cover the TE now? Haralson or Brooks? Come on now this defense was just gutted dont f**king bulls**t anyone saying the cores are intact when theyre anything but.

Lawson: all around a decent player, played well against the run and pass, but nothing close to the pass rusher we need (Enter Aldon Smith) in a 3-4 defense.

Clements: For his 80 million dollar price tag he was no where near what he shouldve been. Strong against the run, but how many times in the past year did we have a chance in the 4th quarter and he gave up a huge pass play. Quite a few. I will admit that this is an area where I am a little puzzled there was not action via FA, but the coaching staff must be confident enough in the abilities of their current players.

Spikes: All in all a great free agent signing 3 years ago but hes old. Probably still got something left to offer, but the coaching staff likely wants to go with a youth movement and are encouraged by what they see in their young ILB's.

Franklin: Good player but not a dominating force or difference maker exactly. RJF seems to be improving nicely and Sopoaga has always been consistent. I don't see this as a HUGE loss.

If i'm not mistaken all of these players got 1 year deals and with the exception of Spikes lasted a long time on the FA market (Give anyone a clue??). I don't see anything wrong with what were doing, people just see that were losing starters without signing any big free agents and freak the F out.
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:
They might as well shop VD and Pat around the league to see what they can fetch for them because this looks like a full rebuild.

We lost no one who's been anything more than an average player for us. Core is intact on both sides of the ball.

Youre delusional to think losing Franklin,Lawson,Spike and Clements wont hurt the defense. We were a bottom ranked run defense before Franklin. We were the the bottom ranked pass defense before Clements. We will miss Lawsons speed for every missed tackle Haralson whiffs on. Lawson also drove alot of sacks right at Justin Smith and Haralson we are gonna miss that. Plus who the f**k is gonna cover the TE now? Haralson or Brooks? Come on now this defense was just gutted dont f**king bulls**t anyone saying the cores are intact when theyre anything but.

Ok let me reword. The GOOD players from last years core are still here.

So Lawson has been such a playmaker for our defense all of the sudden? The play of our defense never dropped off when he was missing from the lineup. In fact they take him off the field on crucial downs. Adequate starter absolutely nothing more. Classic case of a player overrated by his own teams fan base. If he was that good he would have gotten a multi year deal with a team that needs a defensive playmaker, he didn't. Same goes for Franklin, hell he went to a team with a completely different defensive scheme and one he is completely unproven in. Lawson and Clements signed 1 year deals with a team known for signing last ditch players no one else is interested in signing.

Who's going to cover TE's? One of our safties or LBs like any other team that doesn't have Manny Lawson. How many teams have a legitimate threat at TE that we need someone purely to cover tight ends? Maybe 2? None in our division.

Signing Carlos Rodgers would make losing Nate Clements a wash. That should tell you something about Nate Clements.

Bowman will be a player. Spikes is the biggest loss but I think if the coaching staff thought this was a deal breaker they would have tried to match the conservative 3 year deal he signed. They didn't.

At least Haralson can manage an 8 sack year where he had to earn it. Where as we tried everything to put Manny Lawson in position to lead the team in sacks and came up with 2.5 sacks last year on a defense that got torched by Matt Moore and the atrocious passing attack of the Panthers.

[ Edited by RichmondPete on Aug 2, 2011 at 16:30:09 ]
Of the 9 Eagles acquisitions, five are former No. 1s, two former No. 3s, a No. 5 and undrafted Cullen Jenkins.

http://twitter.com/#!/ClaytonESPN/status/98533036022431744
  • dwett
  • Veteran
Originally posted by danimal:

_______

Yea but for me this doesn't seem as bad as 2002 or was it 2003. The year when we lost Garcia, a pro bowl QB and Owens, a HOF WR, that was a rebuild. The players we lost this year while nice components were not of that caliber.

Maybe I am just being a homer but I am excited to see what some youth and great coaching can bring to this franchise. Guess we shall see.

[ Edited by dwett on Aug 2, 2011 at 16:27:48 ]
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:

Honestly, if it does hurt our defense, it won't hurt it that bad. You're overreacting, we have decent replacements in each position except corner.
Share 49ersWebzone