LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 269 users in the forums

Postion Battles: ILB (Updated: 8.19.,11)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
So far I would say we def will keep 3:

Willis, Bowman, Grant.

That leaves us will a battle for the 4th spot between:

Alex Joseph 6-2 240 Age 23 (Temple)
Scott McKillop 6-1 244 Age 25 (Pitt)
Keaton Kristick 6-3 234 Age 24 (Oregon State)

Personally I think it boils down to what Jim Leavitt can get out of these guys and since McKillop is injury prone, it will be an interesting battle
[ Edited by Frisco69ers on Aug 19, 2011 at 9:06 AM ]
id say mckillop and he isnt injury prone he had 1 serous injury
A number of 3-4 teams carry 5 ILB's on their roster, so it may be two of the three listed guys make the squad.
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:

Willis, Spikes, and Bowman.

Personally I think it boils down to what Jim Leavitt can get out of these guys and since McKillop is injury prone, it will be an interesting battle

in my book one injury doesnt make you injury prone---has mckillop had other injuries besides last year's torn knee?
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
A number of 3-4 teams carry 5 ILB's on their roster, so it may be two of the three listed guys make the squad.

This is true plus guys such as Brooks can play inside as well.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jul 25, 2011 at 8:03 AM ]
Just a note: The Niners could end up seeing a very good ILB on the free agent market once players can be signed. Teams have to reduce their salary cap number for 2011, and that reduction could push teams into releasing some starters.

The bottom line is that 2011 is probably the end for Spikes, and Bowman is a real question mark at this time.
Just a note: The Niners could end up seeing a very good ILB on the free agent market once players can be signed. Teams have to reduce their salary cap number for 2011, and that reduction could push teams into releasing some starters.

The bottom line is that 2011 is probably the end for Spikes, and Bowman is a real question mark at this time.

Maybe a 4-3 LB you have in mind?

Frankly, in a normal offseason I might agree with you, but I think this year the Niners (and most teams) are likely to keep most of the players they have, where familiarity between players can't be trumped by integrating new starters, since there just won't be time to have them compete against each other. So I'd say 2011 may be Spikes' last year. And I don't see a player like Bowman being a question mark...I have to think that Vic Fangio will figure out some interesting blitz packages with Smith, Smith, and Bowman this year.

Now all bets are off if Baalke, Harbaugh and company decide this year is a waste and simply pick up some players off free agency and spend the year rebuilding the team with little regard for wins and losses.

hell no, Spikes is a main leader on this team, no way we let him go. We wont even look at FA ILB till we fix:

1) CB
2) NT
3) QB
4) Vet Oline
5) Passrusher
Originally posted by hofer36:

in my book one injury doesnt make you injury prone---has mckillop had other injuries besides last year's torn knee?

Quote:
Q: What was the worst part of it, the ACL or the torn patellar tendon?
SM: "That was my first injury I ever had in my entire career in any sport, from kindergarten as a kid playing football, basketball, baseball, soccer, wrestling, anything.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/06/22/11/McKillop-to-be-ready-for-start-of-49ers-/l_49ers.html?blockID=536675&feedID=5936&qv=1#bp
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by hofer36:

Quote:
Q: What was the worst part of it, the ACL or the torn patellar tendon?
SM: "That was my first injury I ever had in my entire career in any sport, from kindergarten as a kid playing football, basketball, baseball, soccer, wrestling, anything.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/06/22/11/McKillop-to-be-ready-for-start-of-49ers-/l_49ers.html?blockID=536675&feedID=5936&qv=1#bp

okay you made your point

I have no idea who he is/how he plays. I think McKillop makes the team over Kristick, and I think they keep 5 OLB, 4 ILB this year.
Watched Kristick play in the preseason last year, he didnt do much to impresss.
It's going to be McKillop's job to lose
Originally posted by WRATHman44:

I have no idea who he is/how he plays. I think McKillop makes the team over Kristick, and I think they keep 5 OLB, 4 ILB this year.

Agreed, last year we where playing with 3 for awhile I believe. If we resign Spikes than it should be a 3 way battle for the last spot. If not then maybe 2 of those guys make it. I would think McKillop or even Joseph have the edge over Kristick.

We need the extra OLB (maybe even 6 of them) and like you guys mentioned Brooks can play inside in case of an emergency. If it gets that we need a ILB we can get one during the season off the street. No need to keep 5 ILBs and take a roster spot from OLB which is much more up in the air. I'd like Aldon, Brooks, Haralson/Lawson, Gibson, LaBoy, and maybe FA(Keiser,Herzlich?)/Bruce Miller???
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Jul 25, 2011 at 10:21 AM ]

Good value on ST, cant write him off yet.
Share 49ersWebzone