There are 126 users in the forums

Anyone else still excited about this year?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Excitement level other years by this time; 90-100%
This year; 65-75%

I am treating this year as an F-the players and owners for treating us, the fans, like chit during this lockout. I will watch from afar, but not a dime spent on anything NFL related.

Your anger should be directed completely at the NFL owners for opting out of the agreement that was in place to funnel more of the revenue to the 30 or so individuals that already received well over %50. You can't get mad at the players for not bending over just because the owners locked them out.

Fight the power.

the owners deserve more of the revenue, it's their business. not one game has been cancelled due to the lockout, the draft went on as planned. dont see how i can get angry at the owners. the only frustrating part is hearing the thousands of different reports coming out.

Lets be very realistic about things. The owners take over %50 of all of the revenue as their own income. They do get way more and they have always gotten way more, that was never in question. They do not deserve any more of my money then they already get. These are also not private businesses these are NFL franchises its not as simple as a normal employer-employee relationship
[ Edited by RichmondPete on Jul 21, 2011 at 10:24 AM ]
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
This year; 65-75%

I am treating this year as an F-the players and owners for treating us, the fans, like chit during this lockout. I will watch from afar, but not a dime spent on anything NFL related.

Your anger should be directed completely at the NFL owners for opting out of the agreement that was in place to funnel more of the revenue to the 30 or so individuals that already received well over %50. You can't get mad at the players for not bending over just because the owners locked them out.

Fight the power.

I feel that your position is overly-simplistic, but I am sure there is an exhaustive debate over this issue in NFLtalk. I am excited about this year. I am so sick of the patronizing rhetoric from players and owners alike, but I miss me some football.

I miss football too. I feel that they players are the reason I watch, they are the ones funneling huge amounts of their own money to their impoverished communities and families and I feel they should get a fair share of the $60 I fork over to go to every game.
I'm somewhat excited, but keeping my excitement to a min. I really think this offseason has hurt our team.

No defensive playbook was finished in time to give to the players to study. That really bugs me since defense is still a huge problem for us. Lots of holes to fill.

I was surprised to see Alex Smith step up & finally become a man. I think he'll be our starter & do decent. I don't see Kap starting.

Not so high though on our O-Line. Chilo needs to be on the bench & center is still a ?

I think the fact that we have a whole new coaching staff (for the most part) & they haven't had the time to really work with our players will catch up in the first month of the regular season.

I don't see the playoffs as a possibility. All in all the Seahawks & Rams might be better than us. AARGH!!!
Originally posted by wailers15:
I'm somewhat excited, but keeping my excitement to a min. I really think this offseason has hurt our team.

No defensive playbook was finished in time to give to the players to study. That really bugs me since defense is still a huge problem for us. Lots of holes to fill.

I was surprised to see Alex Smith step up & finally become a man. I think he'll be our starter & do decent. I don't see Kap starting.

Not so high though on our O-Line. Chilo needs to be on the bench & center is still a ?

I think the fact that we have a whole new coaching staff (for the most part) & they haven't had the time to really work with our players will catch up in the first month of the regular season.

I don't see the playoffs as a possibility. All in all the Seahawks & Rams might be better than us. AARGH!!!

Seahawks as a team will be better than last year, if they upg their QB/OL they will be way better than last year.

Rams young players will all be better this year. (scary)

I agree Chilo needs to be benched or just go, but we did get some OLineman, and might get some undrafted dudes.
NOPE.............not this year after so many years of thinkin this is the year this is the year i dont have any hopes for this team to actually become competative this season ESPECIALLY if day 1 we have Smith under center...............by week 3 or 4 i might when Colin comes in for that bum.
Ohh yea & with the lock out pushing just about every important practice aside the coaching staff & players will look lost for at least the 1st half of the season.

cant really say i will get excited for that
f**k. YES.
I'm pumped about this season! I miss seeing my Niners on sundays I can't wait to see what Harbaugh does with this team. Im not expecting a super bowl this year but he seems like he really wants to bring this team back to the glory days. Also, I really think Kaepernick will be a beast with the Niners. He as well as Crabtree will dominate for years to come.
Sure....when the season starts......
  • dj43
Originally posted by GoNiners:
I'm pumped about this season! I miss seeing my Niners on sundays I can't wait to see what Harbaugh does with this team. Im not expecting a super bowl this year but he seems like he really wants to bring this team back to the glory days. Also, I really think Kaepernick will be a beast with the Niners. He as well as Crabtree will dominate for years to come.
I share your dream that Kaepernick will be a quality QB, however, I will continue to temper my expectations with the reality that very few non-1st round QBs have gone on to have great careers in the NFL. For every Brady and Montana, there are dozens of others whose names no one will recognize anymore. Just saying...
This year; 65-75%

Fight the power.

the owners deserve more of the revenue, it's their business. not one game has been cancelled due to the lockout, the draft went on as planned. dont see how i can get angry at the owners. the only frustrating part is hearing the thousands of different reports coming out.

Lets be very realistic about things. The owners take over %50 of all of the revenue as their own income. They do get way more and they have always gotten way more, that was never in question. They do not deserve any more of my money then they already get. These are also not private businesses these are NFL franchises its not as simple as a normal employer-employee relationship

What is not being factored in is that whatever the owners get they have to pay the other people that help run the team as well as all the expenses from that 50%. It is not 50% of the adjusted gross. After all, Baalke and Jim and company ain't free. Neither are the hotels and plane tickets. Plus they have to pay in to the players medical plans, retirement fund possibly also, I don't know, unless you are privy to such matters, running a business isn't easy. Also, this is not a revenue sharing deal- you can bet Jerry Jones is turning more than a tidy sum, but not all franchises are like his. The cowboy franchise is like the yankees. Not all teams are created equal.

I am not saying the players shouldn't get their money-but they are greedy a$$ to-they want to renegotiate for more, but when did you see them reneg. when they play piss poor? Or do a Coffee?

I'm excited about every year. I love this team and I want to see if coaching really was our problem all along.

But I'm not expecting to win the west or make the playoffs. I've been looking for that since about 2007 or 2008 without success. Call me jaded, but I won't buy into the optimism again until we show something on the field. And I don't mean squeaking past bad teams in boring games. I mean beating the teams we should beat and competing with everyone else. No more getting badly out-coached or folding at the end of games.
Originally posted by Overkill:
I'm excited about every year. I love this team and I want to see if coaching really was our problem all along.

But I'm not expecting to win the west or make the playoffs. I've been looking for that since about 2007 or 2008 without success. Call me jaded, but I won't buy into the optimism again until we show something on the field. And I don't mean squeaking past bad teams in boring games. I mean beating the teams we should beat and competing with everyone else. No more getting badly out-coached or folding at the end of games.

Haha-understandble, but I think I'll be like that kid who at first didn't get the ball at the baseball game. All happy thinking its coming to me then pout later if I (the niners) don't get into the playoffs. Then if we don't get it, smile again when we get a high draft pick... ah the price of abuse.
Originally posted by WildBill:
This year; 65-75%

Fight the power.

What is not being factored in is that whatever the owners get they have to pay the other people that help run the team as well as all the expenses from that 50%. It is not 50% of the adjusted gross. After all, Baalke and Jim and company ain't free. Neither are the hotels and plane tickets. Plus they have to pay in to the players medical plans, retirement fund possibly also, I don't know, unless you are privy to such matters, running a business isn't easy. Also, this is not a revenue sharing deal- you can bet Jerry Jones is turning more than a tidy sum, but not all franchises are like his. The cowboy franchise is like the yankees. Not all teams are created equal.

I am not saying the players shouldn't get their money-but they are greedy a$$ to-they want to renegotiate for more, but when did you see them reneg. when they play piss poor? Or do a Coffee?

Its funny how the American dream is supposed to be about working hard to make as much wealth as you can, but when an athlete does it they are greedy a*****es.

You call the players greedy a*****es but I just call them valuable professionals that are trying to get as much money as they can while they still can play. If you had any leverage at your job and felt that someone who was less valuable to your company than you were but was making far more money than you would you just never ask for a raise just because you enjoyed your profession? If they players are greedy a*****es then what exactly would you call the owners?

I'm pretty sure that Nate Clements will restructure to make less because of his poor play. As did Alex Smith in 2008, and countless other instances around the league every year as well.

The players did not opt out of the current agreement to try to negotiate for more money. They owners opted out and offered them far less money. The players simply did not sign the proposed CBA and the owners locked them out to gain leverage. The players don't have to put ink on something that equates to a pay cut just because the owners put it in front of them.

Every franchise can do business differently but the end all be all is that these franchises have to compete to sign the best players they can, if they don't want to pay a certain player there is nothing in any CBA that will force them to
[ Edited by RichmondPete on Jul 21, 2011 at 3:48 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone