There are 159 users in the forums

Am I the only one under-whelmed with our Recievers??

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
our TE is prob one of the best in nfl

our #2 WR was top 10 in WR production out of all the #2 Wr in the nfl

the problem is our #1 and our slo WR were extremely under whelming

then agin raye and sing were running the offensive show and our passing was limited

Definitely liking our TE... he isn't flawless, but has been improving each year into one of the best.

The production of Morgan is noteworthy. I guess he just makes about one or two plays per game (usually big, clutch ones) that leave me cursing his name.

Crabtree disgusted me early on... even still hasn't wowed me aside from a couple of tough snags. Jury is still out on him being (or choosing to be) a true #1.

We have the inconsistent Ginn (pretty soft) and a bunch of unproven options at slot WR.

Yeah, overall... I still have to say that the collective group of WRs are... not yet gonna scare a single DC in the league.
Our receivers are solid but we are missing a guy who can go up and attack the ball like a Vincent Jackson, Sydney Rice or Malcolm Floyd. Add one of those receivers at a reasonable price and our WR corp gets some needed versatility.

We have no tall receivers with some muscle who can box out defenders and win jump balls on a consistent basis. Phillip Rivers is good, but his receivers make him look amazing with the amount of jump balls they bring down in the endzone. This is the best way of getting defenders out of the box for Gore. Thinking ahead, if CK develops into our starter... his arm strength along with VD's speed and a "Vincent Jackson-type" receiver opens up the running game and creates space for or YAC guys like Crabs underneath.
Originally posted by 5280High:
Our receivers are solid but we are missing a guy who can go up and attack the ball like a Vincent Jackson, Sydney Rice or Malcolm Floyd. Add one of those receivers at a reasonable price and our WR corp gets some needed versatility.

We have no tall receivers with some muscle who can box out defenders and win jump balls on a consistent basis. Phillip Rivers is good, but his receivers make him look amazing with the amount of jump balls they bring down in the endzone. This is the best way of getting defenders out of the box for Gore. Thinking ahead, if CK develops into our starter... his arm strength along with VD's speed and a "Vincent Jackson-type" receiver opens up the running game and creates space for or YAC guys like Crabs underneath.

I always love the idea of us having a WR that stands 6' 5" and can out-jump everyone. Still, the smaller guys we have can do this too, but they need a kick in the arse when it comes to mentality. I see the Lance Moores and Hines Wards of the league attacking the ball and using their bodies to shield off DBs. Our guys should be doing it too. Not just staring down a ball mid-flight while waiting and expecting it to drop right in the numbers.
  • dj43
I am in a quandary about the 49er receivers. They certainly have not produced as expected/hoped but so much of that have been poor coaching and poor offensive game planning that I am willing to give them a pass until Harbaugh can actually put an offense in play.

The key, as others have said, is Crabtree. While hopeful, I have seen too many guys like him that have talent but just do not do the work to develop it. JH will be challenged with this guy. I won't go farther as well have discussed him too much already.

The rest of the group, other than Vernon Davis, are guys for which we should not have very high expectations. I hope to be surprised by one or two of them but I see no reason to be very hopeful. They appear to be a bunch of guys competing for the #3 and #4 slots on a good team.

Davis has a chance to make a major improvement if JH can get him making the adjustments a TE needs to make...another widely discussed topic.
Hopefully with our new coaching staff we will see improved performance across the board. Looking at Crabtree highlights on YouTube, I think he has the physical tools to be a legit #1, the question is how to get him motivated. He showed great hands in college, and an instinctive ability to block the defensive back from the play. I think he puts it together this year and finally looks like what we drafted him to be. But then again, I am the optimistic type.
There's a reason why our receivers are "underwhelming"...but that's already in another thread in another forum.

The production of our receivers will not improve by a lot, even under Harbaugh and it is not because of the ability of the receivers.

Brandon Lloyd was underwhelming here also.
Poor Brandon Lloyd... ball just couldn't be right in the numbers for him.

Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
I really want to see what Kyle Williams can do

He cant find a way to stay healthy. I predict he is going to be cut by the end of TC.
Mediocrity comes to mind
If we had problems with only 1 or 2 receivers then I'd say we need to look at this position; but, most of our receivers seem to have similar problems. Separation, not catching erratic ball placement, breaking tackles, etc...

IMO this has a good bit to do with the QB throwing to them. If he has poor timing then it will always look like they are blanketed or not be setup for YAC, or if he has poor ball placement it will cause the receiver to wait for the ball or reach awkwardly reducing the likelihood of a catch. Also ball placement can lead a receiver open allowing him greater YAC.

I'd say our problem is with the 1 guy throwing the ball not the 5 or so trying to catch it...

Originally posted by D_Niner:
If we had problems with only 1 or 2 receivers then I'd say we need to look at this position; but, most of our receivers seem to have similar problems. Separation, not catching erratic ball placement, breaking tackles, etc...

IMO this has a good bit to do with the QB throwing to them. If he has poor timing then it will always look like they are blanketed or not be setup for YAC, or if he has poor ball placement it will cause the receiver to wait for the ball or reach awkwardly reducing the likelihood of a catch. Also ball placement can lead a receiver open allowing him greater YAC.

I'd say our problem is with the 1 guy throwing the ball not the 5 or so trying to catch it...

I am not letting any of them off the hook, the wide receivers have dropped too many passes, no matter which qb was throwing the ball. Our #2 had pretty good numbers in a neolithic offense, and after Raye was fired the passing game looked markedly better.I don't think it is a lack of talent as much as a lack of good coaching. They should have to run plays over and over until they get them right in practice, not just move on to the next play when one is sloppy or just plain breaks down. That blew my mind when I heard that is how they did things under Nolan. You know why Joe, Steve and all the offenses back in the glory days were always in sync? It was because they ran plays until they were able to execute them in their sleep. Coaching has been the main issue with this team (other than ownership) since Mooch was fired. Maybe now we have a good coach...I guess we will find out.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

I am not letting any of them off the hook, the wide receivers have dropped too many passes, no matter which qb was throwing the ball. Our #2 had pretty good numbers in a neolithic offense, and after Raye was fired the passing game looked markedly better.I don't think it is a lack of talent as much as a lack of good coaching. They should have to run plays over and over until they get them right in practice, not just move on to the next play when one is sloppy or just plain breaks down. That blew my mind when I heard that is how they did things under Nolan. You know why Joe, Steve and all the offenses back in the glory days were always in sync? It was because they ran plays until they were able to execute them in their sleep. Coaching has been the main issue with this team (other than ownership) since Mooch was fired. Maybe now we have a good coach...I guess we will find out.

That's a good point too; unfortunately we wont know until the lockout ends and the season begins...
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
lets see how they perform with an offense that actually features the forward pass

Amen, Brother! Preach it.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

I recall Young describing how Craig and Watters had to run simple flare routes time after time until they were on the exact path...then the ball was thrown. Until they ran the route correctly they didn't get the ball. Based on what I have observed about the route running the past three years or so, I would say the 49ers need to go back to that formula.
Originally posted by Joecool:
There's a reason why our receivers are "underwhelming"...but that's already in another thread in another forum.

The production of our receivers will not improve by a lot, even under Harbaugh and it is not because of the ability of the receivers.

Brandon Lloyd was underwhelming here also.

Let's not forget that Brandon Lloyd didn't become overnight star after he left the 49ers. It took him several years - since 2006 - including major playing time with the Redskins (with Mark Brunell as the starting QB) and the Bears before his break-out last year.
Share 49ersWebzone