There are 207 users in the forums

How good is the 49ers Defense?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
not as good as we think it is
Originally posted by valrod33:

yeah, but I think 2 players away from being what we think it is. Need to improve the backfield and get a legit pass rusher.
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:

yeah, but I think 2 players away from being what we think it is. Need to improve the backfield and get a legit pass rusher.

agreed
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by Sinsation:
this is a playoff team. cant wait to see what competent coaching can do!

That's what we've been saying for the past 5 years. As long as Alex Smith is our QB, we will not make the playoffs... No matter how good our D is. It's the truth.

Dude, we get it. Alex Smith impregnated your cat, ate your dog, made your dad gay, gave your mom the gonaherpesyphlAIDS, made your lady gain 40 pounds, and stole two inches from your penis. That's fine, and I would hate him too, but he's not to blame for everything that's wrong with the 49ers.

Nice personal attacks n00b. Great way to get warned or banned around here. You will learn that soon enough.

Interesting that you call me a "noob," which could be interpreted as a personal attack, while you go complaining about a personal attack. My comment was loosely based off of the monologue from hamburger hill, and was intentionally absurd in an attempt at humor. If you are really that sensitive to criticism, good luck living a fullfilling life.

Don't sweat Mike, you are new here so you probably aren't familiar with the fact that all he ever has to offer is hyperbolic criticism of said player, usually in the form of a one liner he probably think is clever. Just remember, when it comes to said player, he is everything that is wrong with the team...pretty ridiculous, but that is "big" mike.

It's true though. Which one player on the 49ers the last 7 years has had the most negative impact on the team... Alex Smith.

The thread is about the defense. If you are suggesting that, Alex Smoth has been the worst player on defense, then I would say that claim is worthy of ridicule. If you are saying that Alex Smith's play on offense has single-handedly hur the defense more than the play of anyone who has been on the defense (Mark Roman and Parys Haralson come to mind), the utilization of personnel on defense (mirrored safety responsibilities, even when the safeties could not be more different), or overall defensive scheme, then I think that your arguments are too clouded by blind hatred to be taken seriously. If you are simply suggesting that Alex Smith has not lived up to expectations, and that he may be the worst player that has been on the team consistently over the las six years, then you have a valid argument, but it doesn't belong in this thread. This thread is about the defense (it's in the title).

Yeah, but if we think it's not as good as we think it is, then doesn't it become just as good as we think it is, which is simply worse than we originally thought it was?

Yeah, but if we think it's not as good as we think it is, then doesn't it become just as good as we think it is, which is simply worse than we originally thought it was?

Yeah, I don't know of it was the mushrooms as a midnight snack or my new LSD toothpaste, but my brain is working AWESOME today!
  • evil
  • Veteran

/thread.
We can stop the run... unfortunately it's a passing league.
Originally posted by 5280High:
We can stop the run... unfortunately it's a passing league.

Yeah its like having the best towing capacity in the Indy 500

Yeah, tough to say (now). And like many things, it's hard to determine anything at this point d/t poor coaching (everything from practice discipline - you saw the videos, poor techniques, no team tackling, piss poor pass rushing skills, players playing 1/2 speed, very little emotion, etc.) to individual poor skill-sets, constant scheme issues, being outcoached, zero adjustments, very very very predictable, constantly falling on their faces when it mattered, no big plays, padding of/meaningless stats, very few TO's, players in a 3-4 who'd fit better in a 4-3, very little, if any development of players, regression, lack of true leadership, organization, self-coaching, etc.

I personally feel this defense has been given a free pass by many b/c in San Francisico, the offense is always the most visible but it was the old 9er defenses that were tops in the league and helped to win us five trophies.

This defense is NOT very good at all. So I was a little disappointed that Fangio didn't pass out his playbook and assign a leader (see, Harbaugh and Alex Smith) to organize educational activities b/c truly, his defense is the equivalent of learning a WCO. Instead we see little, if any word from defensive players save for hitting the gym and guys like Spikes talking about his objection to such activities. No word from Willis and Smith. I heard more from Aldon Smith this offseason.

Over the years, the organization has spent numerous first round picks on defense, brought in key FA's at key positions and paid top dollars to do it. Its essentially been the same exact Nolan/Manusky 3-4 defense, with the same exact personnel and the same exact coach for 5 years now and they've regressed in just about every area possible and never established anything more than a vanilla 3-4, at best.

Hopefully by the end of 2011 we'll start to see a transformation and refocus on the heart of what a 3-4 defense was designed for...an added focus on pass rush and dictating the offense, more TO's, better tactics, game-planning, in-game adjustments, team tackling, better fundamentals, less critical errors and shooting themselves in the foot, a defense that is learning how to win and not lose games when it matters, players stepping up and finding FT roles and growing into these speciality positions, developing, playing with some passion and heart, etc...all things that used to represent the "heart of San Francisco football!"
[ Edited by NCommand on Jul 13, 2011 at 9:23 AM ]
Basically it depends on Franklin leaving and who is replacement will be. Having a hole at NT will be a bigger problem then the pass rush or secondary.
We are going to be a lot worst without Lawson, watch. Brooks/Laboy and Haralson aren't every good at anything, including rushing the passer.
We will likely take a hit in personnel, but I hope that we can make up for it with superior game-planning and the ability to actually adjust from things IN-game.

Just too early to assess this... speculation is all well and good, but I'd encourage people to not be so gloom-n-doom about this... We're only in July.
Maiocco: Uncertainty abounds on 49ers' defense

http://www.csnbayarea.com/07/13/11/BMaioccob-Uncertainty-abounds-on-49ers-d/landing_maiocco_v3.html?blockID=540957&feedID=5936

Quote:
Do not expect new DC Vic Fangio to try to make the 49ers' defense something it is not. Would he like to employ a pressure defense like what his longtime associate Dom Capers has done in GB? "We'd like to," Fangio said this offseason. "He (Capers) fell into two really good cover corners besides Woodson. So that allows you to be comfortable to be more of a pressure team and not have to be kind of tricking them all of the time. You do what your players allow you to do." Donatell said Fangio will adapt to the players on the 49ers' defense and he will play to their strengths. "He's going to do what fits," Donatell said. "He's going to do the amount (of blitzing) he has to do for us to be successful. And I don't know what that is right now. And he doesn't, either. We haven't put our hands on our players. "The biggest thing, he is great at playing the hand he has," Donatell said of Fangio.
Share 49ersWebzone