LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 172 users in the forums

How good is the 49ers Defense?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
The Niners lack a true shutdown corner (the Niners cbs are poor)) and a passrusher that makes the other team worry. The defense won't be very good when it matters against good teams until those two problems are fixed.
i'm excited to see how well this defense plays with a lead...its easy to be aggressive when you know that the other team has to pass or what they are gonna do(like what other teams did to us)...
Our D is overrated on this boad due to the fac that the O is so bad we need something to hang our hat on. WE need a passrush very bad. Period. We led the league in TOP for a reason. We could not stop anyone. weather it was early or late in games. there were way too many times we gave up 3rd and extra long last season. That aint the O fault. we just could not get to the QB fast enough. Pressure means s**t if it aint making the QB uncomfortable.
Hopefully the passrush issue will be fixed with the addition of AS. Nate already knows hes about to get a Alex smith type second deal. 1 or 2 yr at the most. Which will really allow us to spend on out NT situation. All in all we are middle of the road until they show otherwise.
  • Jiks
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Alex gave up the game winning F.G. against New Orleans? Alex gave up the game winning FG against Atlanta in which we had the lead? Alex let Green Bay run the clock out with 6 minutes left on the clock? And Alex is partially the problem here but it's not all his fault that we were -9 in turnovers. Defense doesn't need to cause turnovers?

Our defense still has holes. We are in the middle of the pack right now still missing some major pieces. The stats show that. As stated above the addition of A. Smith and the hopeful emergence of T. Mays should really help this defense where it was weakest. I think we should have a top 10 if not top 5 if these two guys can step up.

Quoting my own post but:

I will say that I think both sides will benefit greatly with better game planning, discipline and experienced coaching as well.

Coaching deserves a major share of the blame.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
NFC West = Padded Stats

then so is balt playing against cle and the jets playing against mia
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Personally, I dont think its that good.

Our line is our best unit and we have one great LBer. I think we need not go into great lengths about how bad our secondary is (though I believe a lot of it had to do with scheme and not playing to our CBs strength)

Honestly though, I feel we are one good/great pass rusher away from being a top 5-8 D with good coaching. I know our pass rush stats are decent as a team but we need somebody who can terrorize. If we had that then we'd be able to get pressure from all angles and really be able to help our secondary out

This league is all about QBs: having them and sacking them.
The biggest problem with the D was Manusky and his VANILLA schemes and piss poor playcalling, especially in late game situations. His top priority was stopping the run and playing the corners 10-15 yards off the opponents WRs. I watched every game last season and the defense was way more aggressive in the preseason. The Chargers wont have the #1 ranked defense this year with Manusky dialing up vanilla call after vanilla call.
Originally posted by PiratePete:
Originally posted by owiseone:
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Originally posted by Sinsation:
this is a playoff team. cant wait to see what competent coaching can do!

That's what we've been saying for the past 5 years. As long as Alex Smith is our QB, we will not make the playoffs... No matter how good our D is. It's the truth.

With Alex as qb we will have an opportunity to get first overall pick in draft! Period!!

Because thats happend every year huh?

We have been closer to the playoffs then the number one pick with and without Alex.

weve pretty much been top 10 thats close to number 1 pick and weve been close to the playoffs because our division sux
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
It's not too bad at some spots but worse than most WZers believe.

Missing:

~ SS
~ FS
~ CB
~ CB
~ OLB pass rusher - unproven at the pro level.

That's not a great defense. There are some good D Linemen and 1 great LB and a few other good LB's.

this
I agree ppl that dont

Originally posted by RonMexico:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
It's not too bad at some spots but worse than most WZers believe.

Missing:

~ SS
~ FS
~ CB
~ CB
~ OLB pass rusher - unproven at the pro level.

That's not a great defense. There are some good D Linemen and 1 great LB and a few other good LB's.

this
I do not think you can properly judge a defense that might be losing/gaining the personnel once free agency starts. Too much will change to really know how good they are/will be. As of now, we can only engage in meaningless conjecture.
Originally posted by 5ringsLookinFor6:
The biggest problem with the D was Manusky and his VANILLA schemes and piss poor playcalling, especially in late game situations. His top priority was stopping the run and playing the corners 10-15 yards off the opponents WRs. I watched every game last season and the defense was way more aggressive in the preseason. The Chargers wont have the #1 ranked defense this year with Manusky dialing up vanilla call after vanilla call.

Best post of the bunch so far, IMO.

We have to do two things better. We have to know what best suits our personnel and utilize those strengths.

We have to be smart and prepared enough to have B and C contingency plans for when things are not working in-game. The single biggest defensive (and offensive) fail we had was not being able or prepared to alter what wasn't working... at least in part, in a timely manner. (meaning, airing the ball out when already down 3 scores and with minimal time left doesn't much count)

I got the impression late in the year that Manusky was being hog-tied all along by Singletary's mentality. Maybe true... whatever, doesn't matter now. Now it's Fangio's turn, and we wait to see what he can get outta this bunch.

That's what we've been saying for the past 5 years. As long as Alex Smith is our QB, we will not make the playoffs... No matter how good our D is. It's the truth.

Dude, we get it. Alex Smith impregnated your cat, ate your dog, made your dad gay, gave your mom the gonaherpesyphlAIDS, made your lady gain 40 pounds, and stole two inches from your penis. That's fine, and I would hate him too, but he's not to blame for everything that's wrong with the 49ers.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:

Dude, we get it. Alex Smith impregnated your cat, ate your dog, made your dad gay, gave your mom the gonaherpesyphlAIDS, made your lady gain 40 pounds, and stole two inches from your penis. That's fine, and I would hate him too, but he's not to blame for everything that's wrong with the 49ers.

Nice personal attacks n00b. Great way to get warned or banned around here. You will learn that soon enough.
Share 49ersWebzone