LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 273 users in the forums

No doubt in my mind Niners will be SB contenders for 2012 season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I'm optimistic until we're out of contention.
I personally think it's highly unlikely we are anything more then a playoff hopeful in the 2012 season.
I think if we get capable qb play anything is possible. it will either have to be CK or a free agent that we have never had on the team before.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
We have huge question marks before we are contenders.

~ QB
~ CB
~ FS
~ SS
~ OLB pass rusher

~ HC - I like Harbaugh a lot but he hasn't proven anything in the pros yet.

Give it a little time.

Realistically looking at it we should be an ascending team from 2013 - 2015. But by then we are looking at having to replace Frank Gore.

The most important things for us would be for Harbaugh to work out and for a QB to step up. The rest will solve itself in a few offseasons of drafting and FA.

I agree that all of those areas are question marks, and it certainly seems unlikely that ALL of those questions will be answered positively. Some good answers in the right places could make this interesting, though. I appreciate and share the OP's enthusiasm for the season, but mine is a more nervous enthusiasm. There is a lot that could go wrong, but I don't think we can underestimate the effect of better coaching. Harbaugh aside, he may have assembled an all star staff.
Originally posted by andes14:
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Originally posted by Snider8706:
Alex smith=doubt

Alex Smith= FAIL

In the guy's defense, how many other QB's would have done well given what he had to go through. As a 21 year old, he took over for a 2-14 team, played behind an awful line, and had an awful receiving corps. Played well as a 22 year old in '06 (even with no dangerous weapons at his disposal) and looked to have a skyhigh limit. Started off 2-1 with a horrible OC in '07 and then injuries wiped the rest of that year and '08. Actually played some decent ball in '09 and '10- hell, he was better last year than Kevin Kolb (who some team will give up a king's ransom to acquire)- look it up. And that's with a ton of well thrown balls that were tipped and intercepted and always facing head from whoever Anthony Davis was blocking. And you can't disregard he played for Mike Nolan and Mike Singletary and Jimmy Raye and Jim Hostler who had no idea about how to have a successful offense or develop a QB. And a new OC EVERY year of his career. Peyton Manning had the same OC from '98-'10. Who else would have done well if they were in his shoes. He's got some legitimate excuses IMO, and even with them has played decently. People also need to make sure they omit from their memory banks the 3 starts he was awful in in the middle of '07 when he came back from the shoulder before they realized he needed to shut it down. His shoulder was shredded- can't judge him on those games.

Sounds like a bunch of Alexcuses to me. You can argue and come up with plenty of excuses for any player in the league that hasn't done well in their career, but at the end of the day it's all about production. Other than one mediocre season in 2006, Alex Smith has not produced anything. As a number one overall pick, you are expected to produce and have a positive impact on your team almost immediately (e.g. Sam Bradford). This is going to be year 7 for Alex and he has not proven that he is the franchise QB that he was expected to be when he was drafted. I'm not knocking the guy's work ethic or character, but I just don't see or believe he has what it takes to be an elite or even good QB in the NFL.
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Best thread I've read in a long time! Appreciated! Love the enthusiasm, an truth be told our players are more than capable to do such numbers. To finally have an offensive minded coach is really going to boggle a lot of our minds. We have forgotten 49ers football. I hope that it is finally back, and I believe Harbaugh will be a great coach. Not to mention our seasoned staff behind him.

Let's get back to winning ways shall we?

Agree
Alex smith=doubt

Alex Smith= FAIL

In the guy's defense, how many other QB's would have done well given what he had to go through. As a 21 year old, he took over for a 2-14 team, played behind an awful line, and had an awful receiving corps. Played well as a 22 year old in '06 (even with no dangerous weapons at his disposal) and looked to have a skyhigh limit. Started off 2-1 with a horrible OC in '07 and then injuries wiped the rest of that year and '08. Actually played some decent ball in '09 and '10- hell, he was better last year than Kevin Kolb (who some team will give up a king's ransom to acquire)- look it up. And that's with a ton of well thrown balls that were tipped and intercepted and always facing head from whoever Anthony Davis was blocking. And you can't disregard he played for Mike Nolan and Mike Singletary and Jimmy Raye and Jim Hostler who had no idea about how to have a successful offense or develop a QB. And a new OC EVERY year of his career. Peyton Manning had the same OC from '98-'10. Who else would have done well if they were in his shoes. He's got some legitimate excuses IMO, and even with them has played decently. People also need to make sure they omit from their memory banks the 3 starts he was awful in in the middle of '07 when he came back from the shoulder before they realized he needed to shut it down. His shoulder was shredded- can't judge him on those games.

Sounds like a bunch of Alexcuses to me. You can argue and come up with plenty of excuses for any player in the league that hasn't done well in their career, but at the end of the day it's all about production. Other than one mediocre season in 2006, Alex Smith has not produced anything. As a number one overall pick, you are expected to produce and have a positive impact on your team almost immediately (e.g. Sam Bradford). This is going to be year 7 for Alex and he has not proven that he is the franchise QB that he was expected to be when he was drafted. I'm not knocking the guy's work ethic or character, but I just don't see or believe he has what it takes to be an elite or even good QB in the NFL.

Totally disagree. Alex Smith's biggest problem is that he was chosen #1 in '05. Had he been picked later in the round or in the 2nd, there would be more tolereance for the up and down performance. Fact is, he HAS HAD 7 OCs, injuries and a slew of defensive minded HCs. My take is that under Harbuagh, he will continue to improve. My take: 2011 record- 9-7 (49ers make playoffs) Alex's passer rating will be top 15; he re-signs for another 2 years. 2012 record - 12-4 contend for NFC title . . . .
Originally posted by Okie5a:
Alex smith=doubt

Alex Smith= FAIL

Totally disagree. Alex Smith's biggest problem is that he was chosen #1 in '05. Had he been picked later in the round or in the 2nd, there would be more tolereance for the up and down performance. Fact is, he HAS HAD 7 OCs, injuries and a slew of defensive minded HCs. My take is that under Harbuagh, he will continue to improve. My take: 2011 record- 9-7 (49ers make playoffs) Alex's passer rating will be top 15; he re-signs for another 2 years. 2012 record - 12-4 contend for NFC title . . . .

He has barely been able to lead the team to an 8-8 record without the help of other starting QBs like Shaun Hill or Troy Smith... And you think he can get us to 12-4???
Just because you believe it doesn't make it true. Right now you're not even making an educated guess as you have no track recrod to support your illusions of grandeur. Fiango has a losing NFL defensive track recod, Harbaugh has no NFL track record and we have no proven QB. That's Obama type hope my friend....
I don't see any point in criticizing others for having more or less optimism than others. We could end up crashing in flames or burning down enough competition to find our way into the playoffs. Some fans see an improvement in coaching and personnel... some think the lockout will hinder us too much... some just want to go into this protecting themselves from emotional let-down. Love this pic, it says it all...

Originally posted by Okie5a:
Alex smith=doubt

Alex Smith= FAIL

Ever thought he might have been part of the reason why they had so many OC's? Just saying.

Anyways, to your point, you're right...the issue is Alex was selected 1st overall when he should have been selected far later. With that said, he would not be on this team if he was picked #2. Only reason he's here is befause the Yorks have invested a LOT of money in him and wanted to still giv ehim a shot.

Injuries are a part of the game and so are defensive minded head coaches. Most of the coaches in the league are defensive minded. That's a silly argument. David Carr and Tim Couch dealt with injuries and defensive minded coaches...I don't see anyone in their corner begging to give them chances.

Since when has the NFL cared about the reasoning behind why a player sucked? This is a cuthroat league where players lose their jobs to injury, to having a down year, to having to go through a tough divorce, etc. It's a results based league, bruh. It's not a charity.
[ Edited by JayBee on Jul 10, 2011 at 10:17 AM ]
Originally posted by oldman9er:
I don't see any point in criticizing others for having more or less optimism than others. We could end up crashing in flames or burning down enough competition to find our way into the playoffs. Some fans see an improvement in coaching and personnel... some think the lockout will hinder us too much... some just want to go into this protecting themselves from emotional let-down. Love this pic, it says it all...

Well said. Thank you
As far as this thread is concerned... How can you be so optimistic with so many holes on this team....especially at QB?

Unless Alex or Kaep or a FA QB comes in here and lights things up, I don't see a SB contender in the next 3-4 years.
I'm like a lot of people who sees that Smith can play and has a lot of potential. I know that 'potential' does not win games. I just know that he has lacked some of the very basics from the start (consistent OC and OL) that are essential to be successful in this 'cut throat' league. Forget about having great receivers . . . . without consitent offensive coaching and pocket protection, NO ONE can be successful.

I am optomistic. I'm not making excuses for him, just reciting the history. Best of all is that Alex does not make excuses. He has character, and with that as his foundation, he is bound to succeed. And I for one, am hoping it is with SF.
Originally posted by oldman9er:

this pic explains thise whole thread, lol
Share 49ersWebzone