LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 301 users in the forums

Who would you rather mentor Kaepernick?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who would you rather mentor Kaepernick?

would I rather have him learn how to prepare from a HOF QB or a guy who is at this point a 95.99% bust .. tough decision.
Double post
[ Edited by valrod33 on Jul 6, 2011 at 11:13 AM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
I'd take Favre, just look at what he did with Rodgers.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by La[indent:
mbdaChi49]
Originally posted by D-NOTTE:
On NFLN they say he has the itch.. Think Aaron Rodgers

Obviously Favre but he's not coming to SF.

Aaron Rodgers!!!!!

Favre did not mentor Rogers. Favre treated Rodgers like s**t.

Rogers does not like Favre, and that would be putting it very mildly.

Do not believe what they say!!!

There really are such things as stupid questions.
[ Edited by buck on Jul 6, 2011 at 11:54 AM ]
  • dj43
Originally posted by prime21:
neither. I would like him to learn from a WCO QB like McNabb.
However, McNabb could not, or would not, make the transition from Andy Reid's WCO to Mike Shanahan's. Why should we assume he would accept Jim Harbaugh's version?

Sorry. I won't waste the money on an over-the-hill guy that has not shown a willingness to change.
Shane Falco
Originally posted by dj43:
However, McNabb could not, or would not, make the transition from Andy Reid's WCO to Mike Shanahan's. Why should we assume he would accept Jim Harbaugh's version?

Sorry. I won't waste the money on an over-the-hill guy that has not shown a willingness to change.

Like Smiths loser self is a better mentor? Whats he supposed to show Kap? How not to lose you composure and fundamentals. How to never look down field when you panic and roll right? Or to throw the all as hard as possible to your WR 5 yards away? Id rather have McNabb showing Kap the ropes Smith. Any QB as long as they had 1 good complete season of QB play.
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:

Maybe Smith can show Kap how to never have a winning season or to never make the playoffs. At least McNabb has made it to the Super Bowl and nearly won it, not to mention some NFC title games. I guess Smith can teach Kap how to get paid $49 million dollars for being a mediocre-run of the mill Quarterback, and how to "stick around" in this league.......I dont know about the rest of the 9er "faithful", but I want more than just an average at best QB "leading" our team. Did I just say leading? Well I guess Alex is a good leader during the offseason, so that should count for something.
[ Edited by prime21 on Jul 6, 2011 at 2:58 PM ]
Originally posted by D-NOTTE:

If you read the Kaepernick interview he said Smith was giving his best "interpretation" of what he sees in the playbook... Kudos to Alex for trying

- I agree you have to be happy how Alex has jumped in and helped the cause given the situation. Lot of work on his part and shows once again he is a first rate person.
- Alex has seen more playbooks than the average NFL QB. That has to have helped.
- As an admitted Alex basher - I know I will give him more patience than most here. Niner fans even with Harbaugh's confidence in Alex - won't give him a long leash. But, if Harbaugh likes him ... so do I.
- A Playbook does not come with "Self-study" option. It isn't self-explanatory. Even with Powerpoint help. He taught it to the degree that he understands it. I doubt he feels he even get 60% of it. These practices are more for players camaraderie and to get them to focus. Oh yeah, and for fans who have no football to anticipate. Not sure it really helps strategically or tactically.
  • Veteran
Steve Young.

Alex, because he will end up being a coach anyway.

"If you can't do, teach"
Both of them are garbage.
  • dj43
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:

Like Smiths loser self is a better mentor? Whats he supposed to show Kap? How not to lose you composure and fundamentals. How to never look down field when you panic and roll right? Or to throw the all as hard as possible to your WR 5 yards away? Id rather have McNabb showing Kap the ropes Smith. Any QB as long as they had 1 good complete season of QB play.
I was not talking about Alex Smith. I was only giving a reason why I do not believe McNabb is the answer.

As to who makes a good coach and who doesn't, I will submit Bill Walsh, a guy who never really accomplished much as a player but did pretty well as a coach.

It is a fact that great players have a L-O-N-G history of being poor to ineffective coaches. They just do not understand the hurdles that an average player has to cross in order to be a good player. They don't have the patience to develop players the way they need to be developed in order to bring out their best abilities.

Not saying Smith will be a good coach at some point but to suggest that he would NOT be a good coach because he has not excelled on the field is to deny history.
or maybe Willie Beamin......
LOL AT ALEX SMITH LEADING THIS POLL
Share 49ersWebzone