LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 260 users in the forums

Who would you rather mentor Kaepernick?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who would you rather mentor Kaepernick?

Originally posted by D-NOTTE:
Originally posted by elhebrewhammer:
Strangely enough, I would say Alex Smith. Brett Favre seems like he would be an awful coach and Alex honestly seems like he has a future in coaching. I mean that seriously. I do believe Alex Smith could be a good coach someday. (Side Note:He reminds me of this one guy who played in Chicago a while back. Had his struggles and was ran out of town. I think he played for the Colts and went to an AFC championship game. Anyways, I hear he's coaching now too)

Watching CK play in college, I really think he has a bit of that gunslinger mentality already...the last I want is for him to be like Favre. I think the guy is grossly overrated. At his best, Favre might be better than ANYONE at their best, but honestly, he was so inconsistent and plain stupid at times, he cost his team plenty of games in big moments.

I'll be prepared to get flamed for saying all that, but that's how I feel about the guy.

Coach what Alex doesnt know the offense either... Theyre learning together.... How can he teach?????????

Being a mentor and coaching someone are two completely different things. I think Alex can one day be a coach and could probably be a good mentor to a younger player as well. Learning the offense and "mentoring" a younger guy are not mutual exclusive. I know very little about CK personally or his background, so I'm not sure if he even needs a "mentor" so to speak. I'm simply attempting to answer the question on who I would rather have "mentoring" CK...Favre vs Alex.

Now if the OP were asking who I would rather have starting in front of CK in 2011 (assuming Favre was younger)....well, that's probably a different story.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
From reports, it sounds like Alex actually does know a lot of the offense or he wouldn't be able to teach the others. He's been quizzing the players and correcting them when they line up improperly... so he does seem to have a good handle on Jim's offense.

(as much as he can have, considering that Harbaugh/Roman say they will be adding and adjusting along the way)

Harbaugh gave him all the tools necessary to teach the others, including PowerPoint documents. Obviously, Alex was able to study those documents before he attempted to teach the others.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
On NFLN they say he has the itch.. Think Aaron Rodgers

Obviously Favre but he's not coming to SF.

Are you guys serious? Favre didn't want to teach Rodgers anything. He's a selfish assh*le and would make a terrible mentor.

People assume he's the reason for Aaron Rodgers' success. Think again.

On the other hand, Alex Smith has done nothing to prove he should be mentoring anyone.

I'd pick neither and go with Jim Harbaugh, who, coincidentally, will be the one doing the mentoring anyway.

not say that at all.. Alex doesnt know the offense either.. its like the blind leading the blind out there.. At least he could watch someone with a clue and skills though deminished excute

"Watch" is the key word. He'd just be watching Favre, because Favre wouldn't be helping him - just like he refused to help Rodgers. He can watch any QB he wants to watch on film. That would be just as helpful as someone who refuses to help.

No he didnt verbly(SP) help Rodger alot.. But for you to suggest he would be better WATCHING Alex Smith than Farve sounds idiotic to me.. Remember Alex doesnt know the offense either so they are not far apart... Watch a HOF or first round bust????? Well just opinion
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

What do you expect, he was in contact with Crabs and VD all last week.

Favre? Where did you hear that? And why would Favre be in contact with our players?

I think you're talking about Alex, while the other dude is talking about Favre.
Strangely enough, I would say Alex Smith. Brett Favre seems like he would be an awful coach and Alex honestly seems like he has a future in coaching. I mean that seriously. I do believe Alex Smith could be a good coach someday.

It's usually the mediocre-to-pretty-good players that do well in coaching. Alex fits the description. The only top-flight QB that I think has a for-sure future in coaching is Peyton Manning because he's pretty much a coach already.

I think the guy is grossly overrated. At his best, Favre might be better than ANYONE at their best, but honestly, he was so inconsistent and plain stupid at times, he cost his team plenty of games in big moments.

I'll be prepared to get flamed for saying all that, but that's how I feel about the guy.

I agree almost completely about Favre. The only statement I disagree with is the one about Favre at his best being better than anyone else at their best. Montana at his best >>>> Favre. Young too. There's probably 10 or more other QBs I'd say are better at their best than Favre at his best. On top of that, Favre was inconsistent even at his best.

That's why I said "might be better." I think its perfectly fine to believe someone was better than Favre at his best and at their best. There is no question though, when he was on, he was something else to watch and would be in the conversation. (Please don't make me defend Brett Favre)
From reports, it sounds like Alex actually does know a lot of the offense or he wouldn't be able to teach the others. He's been quizzing the players and correcting them when they line up improperly... so he does seem to have a good handle on Jim's offense.

(as much as he can have, considering that Harbaugh/Roman say they will be adding and adjusting along the way)

If you read the Kaepernick interview he said Smith was giving his best "interpretation" of what he sees in the playbook... Kudos to Alex for trying

What do you expect, he was exposed to Crabs and VD all last week.

lol

What do you expect, he was in contact with Crabs and VD all last week.

Favre? Where did you hear that? And why would Favre be in contact with our players?

I think you're talking about Alex, while the other dude is talking about Favre.

...that's what I get for only reading the thread title and a post or two.
Strangely enough, I would say Alex Smith. Brett Favre seems like he would be an awful coach and Alex honestly seems like he has a future in coaching. I mean that seriously. I do believe Alex Smith could be a good coach someday. (Side Note:He reminds me of this one guy who played in Chicago a while back. Had his struggles and was ran out of town. I think he played for the Colts and went to an AFC championship game. Anyways, I hear he's coaching now too)

Watching CK play in college, I really think he has a bit of that gunslinger mentality already...the last I want is for him to be like Favre. I think the guy is grossly overrated. At his best, Favre might be better than ANYONE at their best, but honestly, he was so inconsistent and plain stupid at times, he cost his team plenty of games in big moments.

Coach what Alex doesnt know the offense either... Theyre learning together.... How can he teach?????????

How do you figure Favre would have a better understanding of HARBAUGH's offense? He'd be learning it, too. Just because it's West Coast Offense-based doesn't mean Favre automatically knows and understands it. All versions of it are different.

Principles are usually the same, Bases of the WTC stay true
Favre easily. Smith is a bust QB with a good personality. Favre is a douche but he can still play at a better level than Smith. Plus Favre is a well schooled in WCO QB. Smith is a nobody who never had 1 full successful season. How can he a mentor? Hes more of a warning of what not to become. Anyways Kaepernicks true and only mentor is Harbaugh imo.

Are you guys serious? Favre didn't want to teach Rodgers anything. He's a selfish assh*le and would make a terrible mentor.

On the other hand, Alex Smith has done nothing to prove he should be mentoring anyone.

I'd pick neither and go with Jim Harbaugh, who, coincidentally, will be the one doing the mentoring anyway.

not say that at all.. Alex doesnt know the offense either.. its like the blind leading the blind out there.. At least he could watch someone with a clue and skills though deminished excute

"Watch" is the key word. He'd just be watching Favre, because Favre wouldn't be helping him - just like he refused to help Rodgers. He can watch any QB he wants to watch on film. That would be just as helpful as someone who refuses to help.

No he didnt verbly(SP) help Rodger alot.. But for you to suggest he would be better WATCHING Alex Smith than Farve sounds idiotic to me.. Remember Alex doesnt know the offense either so they are not far apart... Watch a HOF or first round bust????? Well just opinion

You're seriously gonna sit there and accuse a statement - one that I never even made - of sounding idiotic? Read a little slower and attempt to comprehend what you're reading, then come back and show me where I said he'd be better off watching Alex Smith than Brett Favre. You can't do it because I never said it.

I don't even know why you would assume I'd be lobbying for Alex in this discussion because I clearly stated I'd choose NEITHER.

What I said was Favre would not help him because Favre is a douche. He'd just be WATCHING Favre. If he wants to sit and WATCH someone, he can sit and WATCH film of any QB he wants, past or present. Understand?

I also said Alex has done nothing to make me think he would be capable of mentoring a young QB.

In other words, neither would be very good as a mentor (right now) and I'd much rather have Jim Harbaugh mentoring Kaepernick.

If you read the Kaepernick interview he said Smith was giving his best "interpretation" of what he sees in the playbook... Kudos to Alex for trying

Not really disputing or agreeing... just worth noting.

Quote:
-Q: How much of the playbook did guys learn in these two camps?

-SMITH: It is a little hard for me to put my finger on it at this point. I know what I threw at them. I know how much I installed and how much I essentially threw at the wall. I don’t know how much of it stuck to the wall. I think that’s going to be the test when these guys come back, when the lockout ends, how much it stuck. I think the nice thing in this environment is that none of the guys out there was afraid to make mistakes. I think part of learning is making mistakes. You’re not going to be perfect. So it was great to have it filmed. We could come in and correct those things in an environment where those guys weren’t nervous about making mistakes. So to answer the question, I think a decent chunk of the offense playbook they got put at them. I don’t know what percentage — that’s a better question for the coaches — but quite a bit. Quite a bit, conceptually speaking, was put at them that was all brand new.
http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2011/07/01/alex-smith-on-the-mini-camp-details-kaepernick-and-the-possibility-of-the-49ers-adding-another-qb/

You're seriously gonna sit there and accuse a statement - one that I never even made - of sounding idiotic? Read a little slower and attempt to comprehend what you're reading, then come back and show me where I said he'd be better off watching Alex Smith than Brett Favre. You can't do it because I never said it.

I don't even know why you would assume I'd be lobbying for Alex in this discussion because I clearly stated I'd choose NEITHER.

What I said was Favre would not help him because Favre is a douche. He'd just be WATCHING Favre. If he wants to sit and WATCH someone, he can sit and WATCH film of any QB he wants, past or present. Understand?

I also said Alex has done nothing to make me think he would be capable of mentoring a young QB.

In other words, neither would be very good as a mentor (right now) and I'd much rather have Jim Harbaugh mentoring Kaepernick.

Read my post slower I said "suggest" and Favre is a prick but Kaepernick would get more from him in one season than Alex could muster
This thread is just another excuse to bash AS. A waste of time.

Read my post slower I said "suggest" and Favre is a prick but Kaepernick would get more from him in one season than Alex could muster

It doesn't matter if you said "suggest" or not because I never even suggested it! I am not the one who needs to read slow, my friend.
Share 49ersWebzone