LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 305 users in the forums

The Official Harbaugh Era QB competition!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by DaFaro49ers:
Lets say that this newly refound leader, one by the name of Alex Smith

I appreciate Alex and everything he's done during this lockout, but that "leader" quality seems to have been thrust upon him by Jim Harbaugh. When they met on the one day that the lockout was lifted, Harbaugh not only gave him a playbook, but PowerPoint tools to help him teach the offense. In other words, Harbaugh clearly is the mastermind behind all of this.

I'm not trying to take away from what Alex Smith has done, but it's become obvious to me that he's doing what Harbaugh told him to do.

LOL this guy can never win.

Who cares if it was "thrust" upon him. He wasn't forced to do it. He's not even on the f'n team. He could have easily stayed in the bay area and landed a over priced contract across the bay.

Look, I could careless about Smith at this point but you're going to great lengths to discredit the guy.

I figured someone would whine about it if I mentioned it. Congratulations, you're the culprit.

Look, I mentioned it because I just read about it and watched an interview discussing it this morning.

Nobody minds when I mention anyone else being over- or under-credited, but if it's Alex, people like you cry. I have no agenda against Alex. I'm actually rooting for the guy because I realize he will be the starting QB, but I won't over-credit him or anyone else. I, like most, thought he was doing all this on his own, that it was his own idea. That's clearly not the case so I won't continue acting like it is.

That post, believe it or not, was meant to credit Harbaugh for being prepared, not to discredit Alex Smith. You can sit there and lie about not caring about Alex, but you're not fooling anyone. You saw the post the way you wanted to see it.

Lol ok buddy. Yes you're right...how asinine of me. I should have known all you were doing was crediting Harbaugh but my "Alecks luving" rose glasses saw things the way "I wanted to."

FWIW, my post was more of a general commentary on giving credit where credits due...not necessarily to be the "culprit." Personally, I don't think this will translate into success for Smith. I think he will do reasonably well (85-88 QB rating) and lead us to a wild card. He will have great games mixed with atrocious games. Hopefully Smith can be Colin's "DeBerg."
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by JayBee:

Please quit it with the threats though. I'm compiling a list of your threats to send to a mod.

So now I am threatening you by advising you to"tread lightly" thanks to your own words getting you to a 95% warning level ?

just wow...

Yep, I see it as a threat. I don't need my warning level thrown in my face every time you direct a post at me.
I say if ALex has a great yr. We sign him to a 3yr contract, top 12 QB pay with alot of incentives.. And make him earn the money, and re-evaluate our qb situation when its convenient for us not once its 2 late like right now..
Originally posted by DaFaro49ers:

What would you do? This would actually be a very good scenario to ponder, at the end of the day.

It kinda feels like a Chargers scenario when they had Brees come into his own with Rivers already to go. We should ask how the Charger fans on a reflection years down the track.
It's a problem we haven't had since Joe had Steve looking over his shoulder. I'll take it.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Ahhhh hope is eternal.

Lol
I don't see a problem with having two QBs until both prove they can be starters. At this point Smith has shown some potential but has not been consistent and CK is a rookie! The hypothetical says Smith has a "Great 2011." That would mean he and Harbaugh worked well together and it would be in both their interests to stay together.

Those people who are so invested in disliking Smith that they would trade him if he had a "Great 2011"...wow! If he has a great year then CK is on the bench and gets no chance to show his stuff in a game, so you would just assume he is better than someone who just had a great season?

As to whether someone is a Smith fan...why not? He is a 9er (or will be) and he has been a standup guy for the team. I hope he takes the 9ers to the Super Bowl and, more importantly, wins!
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
If this unlikely hypothetical scenario came true, we should trade Alex Smith. Derek Anderson had a great year in Cleveland and he regressed. Alex Smith may have some decent years ahead of him but the chances of him becoming a franchise QB who can lead his team to the playoffs year in and year out are ridiculously small. In fact, if that came true we should be discussing whether Mark Wahlberg or Shia Labeouf should star in the movie about his miraculous career.

Shia, or maybe the guy who played Paul Pfeiffer in The Wonder Years.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Unless Smith absolutly dominates, we wont need to compete for his service after this year. Smith has proven he wants be here. If he sucks or is even mediocare we will move on. If he is good we coudle probably lock him up for a very reasonable price. Do you really think he would want to go to another team and learn yet another offense? If he is worth locking up, he will probably credit Harbaugh with a lot of his success and be willing to give a huge home town discount. All that being said, Smith's play is only half of the equation. I think a lot will depend on Kaep and his progress.

If by some miracle of God, Smith does dominate under Harbaugh, it's a no brainer to retain him. With good/great Qbs being few and far between, you have to roll the dice on signing. I for one have no problem letting Kaep sit for a few years, especially if we are actually winning.
The better we do, the longer I want Kaep to sit.
I think what probably bothers some people is that this "fast-forward to 2012" hypothetical discussion predicated on Alex Smith having a great 2011 season seems rather implausible, given his inconsistent, mediocre play up until now.

I am more curious than ever to see how things play out and will hope for the best, but once again I'm reminded of Lions fans who would often think along the lines of:

"Sure, let's get Joey Harrington one more receiver, or one more stout guy on the OL, or a QB guru to coach him up, and he'll blossom! This is the year he reaches his potential!"

Originally posted by classyfan49:
I think what probably bothers some people is that this "fast-forward to 2012" hypothetical discussion predicated on Alex Smith having a great 2011 season seems rather implausible, given his inconsistent, mediocre play up until now.

I am more curious than ever to see how things play out and will hope for the best, but once again I'm reminded of Lions fans who would often think along the lines of:

"Sure, let's get Joey Harrington one more receiver, or one more stout guy on the OL, or a QB guru to coach him up, and he'll blossom! This is the year he reaches his potential!"

eerily familliar. They got Harrington everything and he still sucked. But I'm sure some fans in here will tell me Alex is superior to Harrington and Alex had it worse
Originally posted by classyfan49:

I think you are drastically undervaluing the difference from Singletary/Raye to Harbaugh/Roman for this offense.

I don't care if there are a bunch of fans that are afraid to put emotional investment in their team. That doesn't bother me. What bothers me is that along with that, they repeat themselves to push their low expectations on everyone else... and then deride those who actually do see improvements coming for this team.

Like homeboy posted the other day which made me smile...

• Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Jaybee and Oldman9er: I strongly suggest you both stop talking to each other.
When has Alex Smith ever had a "great" year??? history will repeat itself and Alex will struggle once again. He has shown time and time again that he does not have what it takes to be great in this league. He is barely mediocre... For a number one overall draft pick that supposed to be our franchise guy, Alex Smith has proven he is a bust.

I see this web zone hoping that he will finally get it and turn things around year after year, saying this is his breakout year... He has a good head coach now, he has the same coordinator for two consecutive years... Blah blah blah... Wake up people! It's Alex Smith we're talking about! This will be his 7th year and he hasn't done squat!! Matt maiocco said it best in his recent article, the only reason Alex Smith is still hanging around is because of this damn lockout.
Quote:
Their words are a tool designed to provoke... because they figure to get a response. Whether that response is positive or negative hardly matters. They just want to be liked by some and have combative talks with others. So what topic generates the most conversation? Oh yeah... you got it... Alex Smith.
Share 49ersWebzone