49ers vs. Seahawks Tickets Available! →

There are 636 users in the forums

How much longer do you think S.Young could've played?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by NorthNiner:
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Originally posted by AJ_Larrea954:
i read somewhere he could of played again the next season,but Bill Walsh told him the niners were about to go through cap hell so he didnt wanna risk his health playing for a likely losing team and no chance of winning another super bowl

I heard that also.

Yes, Young specifically said concussions did not cause him to retire.

But he only revealed that 2-3 years ago if I remember right.

Perhaps he forgot about the concussions?

Team was on the way down and going nowhere.

"concussions, what concussions?"
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
Originally posted by RonMexico:
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
Sorry guys but he couldn't get back to the show with consistently stacked teams. Hearst Rice and Owens on the field together for several years of his career. Bad plays in big moments. A great QB but also one of the most overrated of all time.


Don't get me wrong I am a Steve Young fan. But if I am going to call Peyton Manning over-rated (which I do) then I have to call Steve Young over-rated as well.



Homer-denial is funny. Steve Young retired as the highest rated passer of all time. Obviously he wasn't the best QB of all time. That is the definition of over-rated. Regular season stat machine and 1 superbowl to show for it on stacked offensive teams.
He was stupid for handing that ball to Roger Craig.

He had many more opportunities to lead the 49ers to the superbowl after the 1990 season
I could have added the FO decisions to let Ricky Watters go, hang onto a bunch of expensive over-the-hill players and some more but it probably wouldn't matter so I'll just leave it there.

Your smugness is pretty obvious if you are trying to be coy, which is also obvious.

You could mention every roster move made during his career if you want to. It doesn't change the fact that he had more than enough coaching, skills, smarts and talent around him to get to another superbowl. He didn't. As I said before, some of his worst play came in the biggest moments. Kurt Warner took the cards to a superbowl with literally nothing but him throwing to Fitzgerald
History is not on your side with the Cardinals. The fact is, once Edgerin James got healthy along with the OL and they began running with authority, it opened up the passing game and Arizona began their roll. Yes, Warner played exceptionally well but he was by no means the sole reason they won the Super Bowl. Boldin made many huge plays when Fitzgerald was covered. Breaston made some key catches and the defense played well.

Steve Young legitimately belongs among the Top 10 QBs of all time. I don't really care where you fit him in there but his overall ability to pass as well as run and run the team earns him that spot.

Are you kidding? James may have been healthy and running effectively but that was all set up by an unstoppable passing combination of Fitz and Warner. I am not saying Steve Young isn't a top ten QB of all time, I said he is over-rated. As good as he was, besides '94 his post season play was far below his regular season play.
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
Originally posted by RonMexico:
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
Sorry guys but he couldn't get back to the show with consistently stacked teams. Hearst Rice and Owens on the field together for several years of his career. Bad plays in big moments. A great QB but also one of the most overrated of all time.


Don't get me wrong I am a Steve Young fan. But if I am going to call Peyton Manning over-rated (which I do) then I have to call Steve Young over-rated as well.



Homer-denial is funny. Steve Young retired as the highest rated passer of all time. Obviously he wasn't the best QB of all time. That is the definition of over-rated. Regular season stat machine and 1 superbowl to show for it on stacked offensive teams.
He was stupid for handing that ball to Roger Craig.

He had many more opportunities to lead the 49ers to the superbowl after the 1990 season
I could have added the FO decisions to let Ricky Watters go, hang onto a bunch of expensive over-the-hill players and some more but it probably wouldn't matter so I'll just leave it there.

Your smugness is pretty obvious if you are trying to be coy, which is also obvious.

You could mention every roster move made during his career if you want to. It doesn't change the fact that he had more than enough coaching, skills, smarts and talent around him to get to another superbowl. He didn't. As I said before, some of his worst play came in the biggest moments. Kurt Warner took the cards to a superbowl with literally nothing but him throwing to Fitzgerald
History is not on your side with the Cardinals. The fact is, once Edgerin James got healthy along with the OL and they began running with authority, it opened up the passing game and Arizona began their roll. Yes, Warner played exceptionally well but he was by no means the sole reason they won the Super Bowl. Boldin made many huge plays when Fitzgerald was covered. Breaston made some key catches and the defense played well.

Steve Young legitimately belongs among the Top 10 QBs of all time. I don't really care where you fit him in there but his overall ability to pass as well as run and run the team earns him that spot.

Are you kidding? James may have been healthy and running effectively but that was all set up by an unstoppable passing combination of Fitz and Warner. I am not saying Steve Young isn't a top ten QB of all time, I said he is over-rated. As good as he was, besides '94 his post season play was far below his regular season play.

What is this argument? You both agree he is top 10 qb of all time. But you say he is overrated. So that means you think he is oh the 9th or 10th qb ever, and others are saying he is better? Sheesh!

Look, there are several reasons for his only having one SB ring. Main ones are Dallas and Green Bay. They were just better than us at that time. And the team had some weaknesses that could not be fixed.

Steve was a fine qb. We were incredibly lucky to have him. Can't we just leave it like that? I don't agree that he is overrated round here. I think that most supporters who lived through both Montana and Young have a fairly clear perception of his strengths and so forth.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
Originally posted by RonMexico:
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
Sorry guys but he couldn't get back to the show with consistently stacked teams. Hearst Rice and Owens on the field together for several years of his career. Bad plays in big moments. A great QB but also one of the most overrated of all time.


Don't get me wrong I am a Steve Young fan. But if I am going to call Peyton Manning over-rated (which I do) then I have to call Steve Young over-rated as well.



Homer-denial is funny. Steve Young retired as the highest rated passer of all time. Obviously he wasn't the best QB of all time. That is the definition of over-rated. Regular season stat machine and 1 superbowl to show for it on stacked offensive teams.
He was stupid for handing that ball to Roger Craig.

He had many more opportunities to lead the 49ers to the superbowl after the 1990 season
I could have added the FO decisions to let Ricky Watters go, hang onto a bunch of expensive over-the-hill players and some more but it probably wouldn't matter so I'll just leave it there.

Your smugness is pretty obvious if you are trying to be coy, which is also obvious.

You could mention every roster move made during his career if you want to. It doesn't change the fact that he had more than enough coaching, skills, smarts and talent around him to get to another superbowl. He didn't. As I said before, some of his worst play came in the biggest moments. Kurt Warner took the cards to a superbowl with literally nothing but him throwing to Fitzgerald
History is not on your side with the Cardinals. The fact is, once Edgerin James got healthy along with the OL and they began running with authority, it opened up the passing game and Arizona began their roll. Yes, Warner played exceptionally well but he was by no means the sole reason they won the Super Bowl. Boldin made many huge plays when Fitzgerald was covered. Breaston made some key catches and the defense played well.

Steve Young legitimately belongs among the Top 10 QBs of all time. I don't really care where you fit him in there but his overall ability to pass as well as run and run the team earns him that spot.

Are you kidding? James may have been healthy and running effectively but that was all set up by an unstoppable passing combination of Fitz and Warner. I am not saying Steve Young isn't a top ten QB of all time, I said he is over-rated. As good as he was, besides '94 his post season play was far below his regular season play.

What is this argument? You both agree he is top 10 qb of all time. But you say he is overrated. So that means you think he is oh the 9th or 10th qb ever, and others are saying he is better? Sheesh!

Look, there are several reasons for his only having one SB ring. Main ones are Dallas and Green Bay. They were just better than us at that time. And the team had some weaknesses that could not be fixed.

Steve was a fine qb. We were incredibly lucky to have him. Can't we just leave it like that? I don't agree that he is overrated round here. I think that most supporters who lived through both Montana and Young have a fairly clear perception of his strengths and so forth.

I am not going to just say we were lucky to have him and leave it at that because it has nothing to do with what I said. Steve Young was the highest rated QB of all time when he retired. For the most part he did not play well in the playoffs. That is the definition of over rated and that is all I said. We had teams as talented as Green Bay and Dallas for the majority of the 90's, Young always got outplayed by Farve and Aikman.

I believe that if any other of the elite guys from the that era (Farve, Elway, Marino) were throwing to Rice and Owens we would have won multiple superbowls in the 90's
[ Edited by RichmondPete on Jul 7, 2011 at 10:33 AM ]
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
Steve Young was the highest rated QB of all time when he retired. For the most part he did not play well in the playoffs. That is the definition of over rated and that is all I said.

I don't follow this logic at all.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
Steve Young was the highest rated QB of all time when he retired. For the most part he did not play well in the playoffs. That is the definition of over rated and that is all I said.

I don't follow this logic at all.

Against the other elite teams in the league he was not as good as his passer rating suggested. I feel like we are talking about a different Steve Young if you cannot agree with this.
[ Edited by RichmondPete on Jul 7, 2011 at 10:42 AM ]
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
Steve Young was the highest rated QB of all time when he retired. For the most part he did not play well in the playoffs. That is the definition of over rated and that is all I said.

I don't follow this logic at all.

Against the other elite teams in the league he was not as good as his passer rating suggested.

That would be one conclusion to reach from those two assumptions. There are others, too.

Here are his career postseason passing stats, BTW - http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/Y/YounSt00/gamelog/post/
This lockout needs to end soon, to spare this board.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
This lockout needs to end soon, to spare this board.

Seriously. I caught myself almost caring what ochocinco had to say the other day. I need football.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
This lockout needs to end soon, to spare this board.

Amen.
  • dj43
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 38,425
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
Originally posted by RonMexico:
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
Sorry guys but he couldn't get back to the show with consistently stacked teams. Hearst Rice and Owens on the field together for several years of his career. Bad plays in big moments. A great QB but also one of the most overrated of all time.


Don't get me wrong I am a Steve Young fan. But if I am going to call Peyton Manning over-rated (which I do) then I have to call Steve Young over-rated as well.



Homer-denial is funny. Steve Young retired as the highest rated passer of all time. Obviously he wasn't the best QB of all time. That is the definition of over-rated. Regular season stat machine and 1 superbowl to show for it on stacked offensive teams.
He was stupid for handing that ball to Roger Craig.

He had many more opportunities to lead the 49ers to the superbowl after the 1990 season
I could have added the FO decisions to let Ricky Watters go, hang onto a bunch of expensive over-the-hill players and some more but it probably wouldn't matter so I'll just leave it there.

Your smugness is pretty obvious if you are trying to be coy, which is also obvious.

You could mention every roster move made during his career if you want to. It doesn't change the fact that he had more than enough coaching, skills, smarts and talent around him to get to another superbowl. He didn't. As I said before, some of his worst play came in the biggest moments. Kurt Warner took the cards to a superbowl with literally nothing but him throwing to Fitzgerald
History is not on your side with the Cardinals. The fact is, once Edgerin James got healthy along with the OL and they began running with authority, it opened up the passing game and Arizona began their roll. Yes, Warner played exceptionally well but he was by no means the sole reason they won the Super Bowl. Boldin made many huge plays when Fitzgerald was covered. Breaston made some key catches and the defense played well.

Steve Young legitimately belongs among the Top 10 QBs of all time. I don't really care where you fit him in there but his overall ability to pass as well as run and run the team earns him that spot.

Are you kidding? James may have been healthy and running effectively but that was all set up by an unstoppable passing combination of Fitz and Warner. I am not saying Steve Young isn't a top ten QB of all time, I said he is over-rated. As good as he was, besides '94 his post season play was far below his regular season play.

What is this argument? You both agree he is top 10 qb of all time. But you say he is overrated. So that means you think he is oh the 9th or 10th qb ever, and others are saying he is better? Sheesh!

Look, there are several reasons for his only having one SB ring. Main ones are Dallas and Green Bay. They were just better than us at that time. And the team had some weaknesses that could not be fixed.

Steve was a fine qb. We were incredibly lucky to have him. Can't we just leave it like that? I don't agree that he is overrated round here. I think that most supporters who lived through both Montana and Young have a fairly clear perception of his strengths and so forth.

I am not going to just say we were lucky to have him and leave it at that because it has nothing to do with what I said. Steve Young was the highest rated QB of all time when he retired. For the most part he did not play well in the playoffs. That is the definition of over rated and that is all I said. We had teams as talented as Green Bay and Dallas for the majority of the 90's, Young always got outplayed by Farve and Aikman.

I believe that if any other of the elite guys from the that era (Farve, Elway, Marino) were throwing to Rice and Owens we would have won multiple superbowls in the 90's
We are just going to agree to disagree on this one, 'K?
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
Originally posted by RonMexico:
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
Sorry guys but he couldn't get back to the show with consistently stacked teams. Hearst Rice and Owens on the field together for several years of his career. Bad plays in big moments. A great QB but also one of the most overrated of all time.


Don't get me wrong I am a Steve Young fan. But if I am going to call Peyton Manning over-rated (which I do) then I have to call Steve Young over-rated as well.



Homer-denial is funny. Steve Young retired as the highest rated passer of all time. Obviously he wasn't the best QB of all time. That is the definition of over-rated. Regular season stat machine and 1 superbowl to show for it on stacked offensive teams.
He was stupid for handing that ball to Roger Craig.

He had many more opportunities to lead the 49ers to the superbowl after the 1990 season
I could have added the FO decisions to let Ricky Watters go, hang onto a bunch of expensive over-the-hill players and some more but it probably wouldn't matter so I'll just leave it there.

Your smugness is pretty obvious if you are trying to be coy, which is also obvious.

You could mention every roster move made during his career if you want to. It doesn't change the fact that he had more than enough coaching, skills, smarts and talent around him to get to another superbowl. He didn't. As I said before, some of his worst play came in the biggest moments. Kurt Warner took the cards to a superbowl with literally nothing but him throwing to Fitzgerald
History is not on your side with the Cardinals. The fact is, once Edgerin James got healthy along with the OL and they began running with authority, it opened up the passing game and Arizona began their roll. Yes, Warner played exceptionally well but he was by no means the sole reason they won the Super Bowl. Boldin made many huge plays when Fitzgerald was covered. Breaston made some key catches and the defense played well.

Steve Young legitimately belongs among the Top 10 QBs of all time. I don't really care where you fit him in there but his overall ability to pass as well as run and run the team earns him that spot.

Are you kidding? James may have been healthy and running effectively but that was all set up by an unstoppable passing combination of Fitz and Warner. I am not saying Steve Young isn't a top ten QB of all time, I said he is over-rated. As good as he was, besides '94 his post season play was far below his regular season play.

What is this argument? You both agree he is top 10 qb of all time. But you say he is overrated. So that means you think he is oh the 9th or 10th qb ever, and others are saying he is better? Sheesh!

Look, there are several reasons for his only having one SB ring. Main ones are Dallas and Green Bay. They were just better than us at that time. And the team had some weaknesses that could not be fixed.

Steve was a fine qb. We were incredibly lucky to have him. Can't we just leave it like that? I don't agree that he is overrated round here. I think that most supporters who lived through both Montana and Young have a fairly clear perception of his strengths and so forth.

I am not going to just say we were lucky to have him and leave it at that because it has nothing to do with what I said. Steve Young was the highest rated QB of all time when he retired. For the most part he did not play well in the playoffs. That is the definition of over rated and that is all I said. We had teams as talented as Green Bay and Dallas for the majority of the 90's, Young always got outplayed by Farve and Aikman.

I believe that if any other of the elite guys from the that era (Farve, Elway, Marino) were throwing to Rice and Owens we would have won multiple superbowls in the 90's

I strongly disagree. Farve, Elway and Marino had stronger arms than Young but Steve was more mobile, accurate and had better footwork. And that is what matters in the west coast offense, just ask Jim Harbaugh.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
Steve Young was the highest rated QB of all time when he retired. For the most part he did not play well in the playoffs. That is the definition of over rated and that is all I said.

I don't follow this logic at all.

Against the other elite teams in the league he was not as good as his passer rating suggested.

That would be one conclusion to reach from those two assumptions. There are others, too.

Here are his career postseason passing stats, BTW - http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/Y/YounSt00/gamelog/post/

Thanks I don't need to see post season stats. I lived through the post season heartbreaks. Does anyone besides me agree that if Steve Young was truly a great QB he would have taken the 49ers to the promise land more than the time they went all in on free agency? He came into a team full of superstars, fully coached and ready to win.
Originally posted by goodthings19:
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
Originally posted by RonMexico:
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
Sorry guys but he couldn't get back to the show with consistently stacked teams. Hearst Rice and Owens on the field together for several years of his career. Bad plays in big moments. A great QB but also one of the most overrated of all time.


Don't get me wrong I am a Steve Young fan. But if I am going to call Peyton Manning over-rated (which I do) then I have to call Steve Young over-rated as well.



Homer-denial is funny. Steve Young retired as the highest rated passer of all time. Obviously he wasn't the best QB of all time. That is the definition of over-rated. Regular season stat machine and 1 superbowl to show for it on stacked offensive teams.
He was stupid for handing that ball to Roger Craig.

He had many more opportunities to lead the 49ers to the superbowl after the 1990 season
I could have added the FO decisions to let Ricky Watters go, hang onto a bunch of expensive over-the-hill players and some more but it probably wouldn't matter so I'll just leave it there.

Your smugness is pretty obvious if you are trying to be coy, which is also obvious.

You could mention every roster move made during his career if you want to. It doesn't change the fact that he had more than enough coaching, skills, smarts and talent around him to get to another superbowl. He didn't. As I said before, some of his worst play came in the biggest moments. Kurt Warner took the cards to a superbowl with literally nothing but him throwing to Fitzgerald
History is not on your side with the Cardinals. The fact is, once Edgerin James got healthy along with the OL and they began running with authority, it opened up the passing game and Arizona began their roll. Yes, Warner played exceptionally well but he was by no means the sole reason they won the Super Bowl. Boldin made many huge plays when Fitzgerald was covered. Breaston made some key catches and the defense played well.

Steve Young legitimately belongs among the Top 10 QBs of all time. I don't really care where you fit him in there but his overall ability to pass as well as run and run the team earns him that spot.

Are you kidding? James may have been healthy and running effectively but that was all set up by an unstoppable passing combination of Fitz and Warner. I am not saying Steve Young isn't a top ten QB of all time, I said he is over-rated. As good as he was, besides '94 his post season play was far below his regular season play.

What is this argument? You both agree he is top 10 qb of all time. But you say he is overrated. So that means you think he is oh the 9th or 10th qb ever, and others are saying he is better? Sheesh!

Look, there are several reasons for his only having one SB ring. Main ones are Dallas and Green Bay. They were just better than us at that time. And the team had some weaknesses that could not be fixed.

Steve was a fine qb. We were incredibly lucky to have him. Can't we just leave it like that? I don't agree that he is overrated round here. I think that most supporters who lived through both Montana and Young have a fairly clear perception of his strengths and so forth.

I am not going to just say we were lucky to have him and leave it at that because it has nothing to do with what I said. Steve Young was the highest rated QB of all time when he retired. For the most part he did not play well in the playoffs. That is the definition of over rated and that is all I said. We had teams as talented as Green Bay and Dallas for the majority of the 90's, Young always got outplayed by Farve and Aikman.

I believe that if any other of the elite guys from the that era (Farve, Elway, Marino) were throwing to Rice and Owens we would have won multiple superbowls in the 90's

I strongly disagree. Farve, Elway and Marino had stronger arms than Young but Steve was more mobile, accurate and had better footwork. And that is what matters in the west coast offense, just ask Jim Harbaugh.

If he had everything he needed this wouldnt be a discussion. How many superbowls would Montana have won if he had Rice for his entire career and Owens for the entire second half of it?
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
Steve Young was the highest rated QB of all time when he retired. For the most part he did not play well in the playoffs. That is the definition of over rated and that is all I said.

I don't follow this logic at all.

Against the other elite teams in the league he was not as good as his passer rating suggested.

That would be one conclusion to reach from those two assumptions. There are others, too.

Here are his career postseason passing stats, BTW - http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/Y/YounSt00/gamelog/post/

Thanks I don't need to see post season stats. I lived through the post season heartbreaks. Does anyone besides me agree that if Steve Young was truly a great QB he would have taken the 49ers to the promise land more than the time they went all in on free agency? He came into a team full of superstars, fully coached and ready to win.

Well then, since your view is subjective by your own admission, I see no point in continuing the dialogue. We'll agree to disagree.
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone