LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 265 users in the forums

How much longer do you think S.Young could've played?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
i read somewhere he could of played again the next season,but Bill Walsh told him the niners were about to go through cap hell so he didnt wanna risk his health playing for a likely losing team and no chance of winning another super bowl
He was still playing at a high level when the last cussion happened. It seemed [I don't have the chronology] as if the concussions wrere happening more frequently.

So, to answer your question, barring another cuncussion, - 2-3 years at a high level and then a spiral downward.
Originally posted by AJ_Larrea954:
i read somewhere he could of played again the next season,but Bill Walsh told him the niners were about to go through cap hell so he didnt wanna risk his health playing for a likely losing team and no chance of winning another super bowl

I heard that also.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by elguapo:
3 years....and 1 more sb

This. Or forever.

f**k you, Lawrence Phillips. f**k you.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
He was still playing at a high level when the last cussion happened. It seemed [I don't have the chronology] as if the concussions wrere happening more frequently.

So, to answer your question, barring another cuncussion, - 2-3 years at a high level and then a spiral downward.

I doubt he would have continued after the next year. He's not like Brett Favre.

If the last concussion never happened, we probably make the playoffs that year and Young returns the next, but retires after that.
Originally posted by pelos21:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
3 years....and 1 more sb

This. Or forever.

maybe he plays 5 more and we draft A.Rodgers as his re-placement...one can only dream
Originally posted by unst4bl3:

I heard that also.

Yes, Young specifically said concussions did not cause him to retire.

But he only revealed that 2-3 years ago if I remember right.

[ Edited by NorthNiner on Jun 25, 2011 at 14:05:42 ]
Originally posted by FreddyG:
IF Young never got that last hit how many more years does he play?

He was shifty and dodgy, preserved his career a bit by Montana. He had a solid 2 years at least...he was still on top of his game when he retired
Young is a top 5 favorite of all-time for me. Broke my heart when he took that shot and his career ended early. I spent a lot of time being furious with Aeneas Williams, but yeah... the big finger of f*ck you definitely gets stamped on the forehead of that rat ba*tard RB whose name I will never speak or type.

I heard that also.

Yeah, that came out a while after he retired. It might have been tough for him to walk away without the concussions as an easy out. Soooooo... yeah, Lawrence Phillips should still be made to run backwards naked through a corn field. No concussions, I think he might have played out Jerry's tenure w/the Niners. He'd have left the minute they let Jerry go, though.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

From what I remember, though, it seemed like his play (albeit higher than other QBs in the league) and the team's play were slipping in '99. I still remember seeing a picture of Steve Young in a rain-soaked uniform sitting on the wet turf in Jacksonville in the '99 season opener with the caption of "Niners drubbed 41-3" or something like that. That score horrified me and whether I was ready to accept it or not, the 49er dynasty was officially over. Outside of the 40-8 loss to the Eagles in '94, at that time, I couldn't remember a game where the team was beaten that bad. Looking at the highlights, the team looked really slow...
Originally posted by NorthNiner:

I heard that also.

Yes, Young specifically said concussions did not cause him to retire.

But he only revealed that 2-3 years ago if I remember right.

Perhaps he forgot about the concussions?

Team was on the way down and going nowhere.
I was at that game. The end of the glory years.
3 years....and 1 more sb

This. Or forever.

watch your language, mods are around

oh wait
Share 49ersWebzone