There are 146 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

How knowledgeable is the 49ers fanbase AS A WHOLE?

So, how knowledgeable is the 49ers fanbase as a whole?

Of course, I would say the majority of people who come here to the Webzone are very well up-to-date. And with the amount of media coverage on the Internet, it's VERY easy to keep up with the team.

But if you go into Candlestick and you gauge how kept-up the overall fanbase is, how would you compare it to other franchises?

The reason I ask this is because I'm curious how the fans will react to Alex Smith, Michael Crabtree, Aldon Smith, and the coaching staff.

For instance, most people I talk to don't really LIKE the idea of Alex Smith returning, but they understand it and think it's our best option. Coach Harbaugh has been trying to talk up Alex Smith, but I wonder how he'll be treated when we have our first game. I'm wondering if the boos come out after incompletions... but eh... Winning cures everything, so that should be the easiest way to shut people up.

Michael Crabtree has been slammed this offseason for a perceived lack of participation with the team, but I don't know if the "overall fanbase" has noticed this.

Most up-to-date posters realize that Aldon Smith and a LOT of our draft class is a bit of a raw project, but I wonder if the "overall fanbase" realizes this.

And does our "overall fanbase" realize that Harbaugh and the coaching staff have the cards dealt against them with a shortened offseason? Most people know that the lockout hurts our team, with a rookie coaching staff and QB problems, maybe more than any other team in the league.

I'll just get frustrated if boos come out unnecessarily. I'm excited for the season, but I can see why we could start off slow.
Overall, most people are pretty ignorant and basically lousy.... so I think you should expect the boos and the whining.

Still, I think you will find a wide range of any fan-base... from casual yet ignorant fans that only focus on the big plays and scoreboard... to the insightful and die-hard respectful... to the rowdy and deliberately crude and obnoxious...

Pretty hard to gauge an entire team fan-base. Overall though, and after many let-downs, many fans will look to crucify a small few in order to preserve their basic love of the team as a whole.
> Raider fanbase
I think people on the zone are die-hards... they have to know everything.

I know a couple of other fans that aren't members on the zone and they are completely out of touch with a lot of details. One friend called me last week with breaking news that Harbaugh wants Alex Smith back. Most other fans probably don't realize how yound Aldon Smith is and that he played injured last year. They just see positions and stats.

In the end, yeah, winning is all that matters, so i'm sure the fans will change their boo's into cheers if the team starts winning.
well, you ever been to a raider game?

i'd say we stack up pretty well against their fanbase IQ wise.
most fans = bandwagon fans

most webzone fans ≠ bandwagon fans

Bandwagon fans only care if the team is doing well, and if not, they pay attention to something else. I would say that a majority of 49ers fans are bandwagon fans, but the minority of us who bleed red and gold make up the difference.

Plus when we actually do win, it's going to taste soooo much sweeter! For instance, I would consider myself a bandwagon Giants fan and when they won last year, it was "mildly exciting", but nothing like if my Niners won the Superbowl. I would go APESH*T!
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

Bandwagon fans only care if the team is doing well, and if not, they pay attention to something else. I would say that a majority of 49ers fans are bandwagon fans, but the minority of us who bleed red and gold make up the difference.

Plus when we actually do win, it's going to taste soooo much sweeter! For instance, I would consider myself a bandwagon Giants fan and when they won last year, it was "mildly exciting", but nothing like if my Niners won the Superbowl. I would go APESH*T!

Know what else is sweeter? If you are a fan that believes your team will do well and they actually do. So much sweeter than a disgruntled, bitter fan that expects the worse and then just hops on the joy-wagon last second.

(not directing anything at you as if you are the latter)

Originally posted by oldman9er:

Know what else is sweeter? If you are a fan that believes your team will do well and they actually do. So much sweeter than a disgruntled, bitter fan that expects the worse and then just hops on the joy-wagon last second.

Hope springs eternal (every year)! I don't expect the Superbowl this year, but I do think that within the next few years with Kaepernick, our O-line, our skill position players, and our defense we can be challenging for the Superbowl.

So I guess I would say I'm a 'half-way' fan, between bitter and unrealistic
I think most are diehard, and pretty knowledgeable about the state of the franchise....hence, the booing last year. If things continue as they have the last seven seasons, one must expect more boos. Although, there are a few that consider themselves "respectful faithful", which have become accustom to losing and are happy with the product we've been given the past seasons.
"WE WANT CARR" proved to me that the majority of the fans at The Stick on that night have NO CLUE what they are talking about.

And I love David Carr. I'm a Fresno State fan and will always like the guy and remember his college days. He's simply not a great NFL player and Alex Smith is DRAMATICALLY better than anyone else on the roster at QB...unfortunately I might add.
Originally posted by elhebrewhammer:
"WE WANT CARR" proved to me that the majority of the fans at The Stick on that night have NO CLUE what they are talking about.

Originally posted by oldman9er:

Being a Niner fan in another area is pretty nice too, even if the Niners arent very good. If the Niners lose to a good team then meh it's kind of expected, but if they pull off the upset then let the smacktalk commence!
Originally posted by elhebrewhammer:

And I love David Carr. I'm a Fresno State fan and will always like the guy and remember his college days. He's simply not a great NFL player and Alex Smith is DRAMATICALLY better than anyone else on the roster at QB...unfortunately I might add.

What people dont understand is that fans just wanted change, whether it was Troy Smith or Carr, it just happened that Carr was next in line. We were on a long losing streak and our season was basically ending. If people had "no clue of what they were talking about", then they would have been oblivious to the fact that the qb on the field had been stinking it up for the majority of his career with niners and wouldnt have chanted. So, It mostly had to do with numerous seasons of losing with that qb on the field and built frustration, than wanting Carr as a qb.
I LIVE THIS s**t YO !!!!!
Originally posted by susweel:
I LIVE THIS s**t YO !!!!!

Can I get an AMEN!?!