There are 207 users in the forums

How knowledgeable is the 49ers fanbase AS A WHOLE?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by JustaFan45:
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:
I think most are diehard, and pretty knowledgeable about the state of the franchise....hence, the booing last year. If things continue as they have the last seven seasons, one must expect more boos. Although, there are a few that consider themselves "respectful faithful", which have become accustom to losing and are happy with the product we've been given the past seasons.

I find this to be the case with the Bay Area sports fan in general. I.E Golden State Warrior fans.

However if we were booing any other player besides you-know-who, this would not be a topic.

Trivia question. In the last 10 years how many players have been booed at any 49ers home game?

One that I remember was Jeff Garcia 2000 vs Carolina.

Would this be a discussion if it were any other player being booed?

Wasn't Cortez booed
I remember Steve Young getting boo-birded in his early SF days.
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
I think most are diehard, and pretty knowledgeable about the state of the franchise....hence, the booing last year. If things continue as they have the last seven seasons, one must expect more boos. Although, there are a few that consider themselves "respectful faithful", which have become accustom to losing and are happy with the product we've been given the past seasons.

I find this to be the case with the Bay Area sports fan in general. I.E Golden State Warrior fans.

However if we were booing any other player besides you-know-who, this would not be a topic.

Trivia question. In the last 10 years how many players have been booed at any 49ers home game?

Wasn't Cortez booed

Yeah I wanted to Larry Allen that guy!

Wasn't Cortez booed

LOL Allen wasn't having any of it

Cortez really isn't bad as advertised but I seem to remember the bad more than the good with this guy, like when he missed that 26 yarder against the Raiders in 2002
Originally posted by Janitor:
Originally posted by asyouwere:
i actually have a percentage to this question. on the niners webzone poll, 41% of niner fans that voted, said alex smith should get another shot to start. so at least 41% have no 49er knowledge whatsover!

Don't.

are we not allowed to joke on here? i thought it was a place to express our opinions anyway.

Wasn't Cortez booed

Kwame was boo'd consistently during player intros in 2006.
Originally posted by elhebrewhammer:
"WE WANT CARR" proved to me that the majority of the fans at The Stick on that night have NO CLUE what they are talking about.

And I love David Carr. I'm a Fresno State fan and will always like the guy and remember his college days. He's simply not a great NFL player and Alex Smith is DRAMATICALLY better than anyone else on the roster at QB...unfortunately I might add.

What people dont understand is that fans just wanted change, whether it was Troy Smith or Carr, it just happened that Carr was next in line. We were on a long losing streak and our season was basically ending. If people had "no clue of what they were talking about", then they would have been oblivious to the fact that the qb on the field had been stinking it up for the majority of his career with niners and wouldnt have chanted. So, It mostly had to do with numerous seasons of losing with that qb on the field and built frustration, than wanting Carr as a qb.

I think anyone that has the mental capacity and take a step back to look at our situation (as a fanbase AND as an organization) can see that fans were used to a winning tradition from a team that won consistently for two decades, saw a huge change in the front office, and helplessly watched our team implode on itself from the front office all the way down to the players.
We haven't been to the playoffs in almost 10 years and fans are desperately holding onto anything that can be misconstrued as a glimmer of hope (i.e. Hill, T. Smith, Carr, Mike Martz, etc).

I have faith in Harbaugh because I remember how bad Stanford's program was before he came in, but everyday this lockout continues, more adversities pile up against the 49ers, and I'm sick and tired of being good on paper, sick and tired of being the dark horse of the NFC, and definitely sick and tired of broken promises this front office has made all for the sake of generating buzz within the fanbase.
"WE WANT CARR" proved to me that the majority of the fans at The Stick on that night have NO CLUE what they are talking about.

And I love David Carr. I'm a Fresno State fan and will always like the guy and remember his college days. He's simply not a great NFL player and Alex Smith is DRAMATICALLY better than anyone else on the roster at QB...unfortunately I might add.

What people dont understand is that fans just wanted change, whether it was Troy Smith or Carr, it just happened that Carr was next in line. We were on a long losing streak and our season was basically ending. If people had "no clue of what they were talking about", then they would have been oblivious to the fact that the qb on the field had been stinking it up for the majority of his career with niners and wouldnt have chanted. So, It mostly had to do with numerous seasons of losing with that qb on the field and built frustration, than wanting Carr as a qb.

Awww...Change for the sake of change. That's worked really well for this team in the past.

See: Marucci, Steve and Erikson, Dennis

Watch more games and you will see why people wanted a change at QB. There are reasons why thousands of fans were booing and wanted Carr. It wasnt a change because thousands of fans just hate Smith. It was a change because they hated the way he would throw a screen that bounced 3 feet in front of Gore. Or miss wide open guys again and again. Or that panicky roll right n throw out of bounds. He was benched for a reason and yelled at by the HC for a reason. Even the announcers where laughing at Smith for christ sakes. Thankfully we got young rookie in the draft to rescue our QB situation.

P.S. Mooch quit on us in Tampa. Rewatch that game dude lol. Seriously.

Dude, seriously...I can't remember the last time I missed a game. Besides, I'm not talking about Alex Smith. I'm talking about how much of a joke David Carr is and how dumb it is to chant at any point "WE WANT CARR"

I have no intention of turning this into a Alex Smith debate. Dude. lol. seriously.

Well if you didnt miss a game you shouldnt be surprised about fans wanting Carr to play. The QB play from the "starter" was horrible which you should have saw if you were watching. Fans knew that Carr was/is a bad starting QB but he was the better option until he threw his first duck. Then he looked no better than the "starter."

This is my point. Carr at NO POINT was a better option no matter how disappointed you are in the play of Alex Smith.

You think Alex Smith has been a disappointment (to say the least), fine...No argument here.

If you think Carr was "the better option" at anytime....well, I thought you were wrong then and after the Carolina game, "I told you so" just didn't quite say enough.

Awww...Change for the sake of change. That's worked really well for this team in the past.

Watch more games and you will see why people wanted a change at QB. There are reasons why thousands of fans were booing and wanted Carr. It wasnt a change because thousands of fans just hate Smith. It was a change because they hated the way he would throw a screen that bounced 3 feet in front of Gore. Or miss wide open guys again and again. Or that panicky roll right n throw out of bounds. He was benched for a reason and yelled at by the HC for a reason. Even the announcers where laughing at Smith for christ sakes. Thankfully we got young rookie in the draft to rescue our QB situation.

Dude, seriously...I can't remember the last time I missed a game. Besides, I'm not talking about Alex Smith. I'm talking about how much of a joke David Carr is and how dumb it is to chant at any point "WE WANT CARR"

I have no intention of turning this into a Alex Smith debate. Dude. lol. seriously.

Well if you didnt miss a game you shouldnt be surprised about fans wanting Carr to play. The QB play from the "starter" was horrible which you should have saw if you were watching. Fans knew that Carr was/is a bad starting QB but he was the better option until he threw his first duck. Then he looked no better than the "starter."

This is my point. Carr at NO POINT was a better option no matter how disappointed you are in the play of Alex Smith.

You think Alex Smith has been a disappointment (to say the least), fine...No argument here.

If you think Carr was "the better option" at anytime....well, I thought you were wrong then and after the Carolina game, "I told you so" just didn't quite say enough.

I don't blame the fans for booing Alex and chanting "We want Carr!" in the Eagles game. Alex had just literally dropped the ball while rolling to his left, and it was scooped up and returned for a TD seemingly putting the game out of reach. We were about to be 0-5. We had to at least see what Carr could do at that point. And once we did at the Carolina game we realized he was no more useful than tits on a bull.
Originally posted by NickSh49:

Wasn't Cortez booed

I remember that! I wonder if fans knowledge was in question for it by the Webzone back in 2006.

Originally posted by NickSh49:

Wasn't Cortez booed

I remember that! I wonder if fans knowledge was in question for it by the Webzone back in 2006.

The Webzone back then was different. More inteligent discourse vs. people trying to PWN others...

Nope. Everyone could see that Kwame couldn't pass protect whatsoever.

Still blamed the QB as if he actually needed pass protection. I mean, really... why can't a QB just be asked to shrug off a DL after 2 seconds of taking the snap?

There are many that have been saying "I told you so" for many seasons, about the qb that played against the Eagles, and your right it just don't say enough. Hopefully, next season doesn't turn into the seventh time many say " I told you so".

Also FYI, if you dont want to speak of number #11, then dont bring up the "we want carr" chant because it has more to do with Alex then it had to do with Carr.

There are many that have been saying "I told you so" for many seasons, about the qb that played against the Eagles, and your right it just don't say enough. Hopefully, next season doesn't turn into the seventh time many say " I told you so".

Also FYI, if you dont want to speak of number #11, then dont bring up the "we want carr" chant because it has more to do with Alex then it had to do with Carr.

It just seems like a very reactionary attitude to have and that is never a good thing. If you just stop and look, without getting caught up in all the emotion of it, its a lot easier to see that David Carr was never a good option to begin with.

I would love to think that the fan base was making some kind of political statement, but I spoke to too many people near my seats, in the parking lot, in bars, on facebook, etc...that were CONVINCED David Carr was a better option. I guess I'm not buying your theory that everyone was just chanting to make a point.

It just seems like a very reactionary attitude to have and that is never a good thing. If you just stop and look, without getting caught up in all the emotion of it, its a lot easier to see that David Carr was never a good option to begin with.

I would love to think that the fan base was making some kind of political statement, but I spoke to too many people near my seats, in the parking lot, in bars, on facebook, etc...that were CONVINCED David Carr was a better option. I guess I'm not buying your theory that everyone was just chanting to make a point.

As i have already stated, it was years of bad game play that was built up in the fan base, so I dont consider it a "reactionary attitude".

There were many fans were i was sitting that knew Carr was not much of an upgrade, if any, from #11 but were just tired of seeing him stink it up. Im sure there were a few fans that might have thought that Carr was a better option, im not going to argue that, but talking to many niner fans, they knew it wasnt. So, its O.k that you dont buy my theory, because it doesn't support your argument.

Lets just agree to disagree.
Share 49ersWebzone