There are 119 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Ray McDonald wants to be a starter, why the hell shouldn't he be?

Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?entry_id=94963

"-During a rollout, defensive end Ray McDonald caught Smith. Not bad for a 290-pounder. Later he bull rushed Adam Snyder, which led to a knocked-down pass of Smith's."

Sounds about right. I have high hopes for McDonald this year. He's gonna wreak havoc in that backfield.

I think he will be a pleasant surprise
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?entry_id=94963

"-During a rollout, defensive end Ray McDonald caught Smith. Not bad for a 290-pounder. Later he bull rushed Adam Snyder, which led to a knocked-down pass of Smith's."

Sounds about right. I have high hopes for McDonald this year. He's gonna wreak havoc in that backfield.

I think he will be a pleasant surprise

we have a great pass rush this year

justin smith and ray mac from edges soap is much more athlethi should get in backfield

along with aldon smith comming from edge
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?entry_id=94963

"-During a rollout, defensive end Ray McDonald caught Smith. Not bad for a 290-pounder. Later he bull rushed Adam Snyder, which led to a knocked-down pass of Smith's."

Sounds about right. I have high hopes for McDonald this year. He's gonna wreak havoc in that backfield.

I think he will be a pleasant surprise

we have a great pass rush this year

justin smith and ray mac from edges soap is much more athlethi should get in backfield

along with aldon smith comming from edge

Don't forget Brooks from the other side, too.

Throw in Willis and Bowman, who both have great speed, and we've got a pretty solid front seven.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Crazy talk has overrun the board.

Do we honestly want a 6'3", 290 pounder starting on the strong side of the line in our 3-4 defense? A guy who has major problems with his knees in the past, and is best suited as a situational tackle when the team lines up in the 4-3 on passing downs. Zero sacks.

The bottom line is that he is a maxed-out, backup 4-3 undertackle, not a starter on the strongside in a 3-4 defense.

It's still just one game, but I'd say McDonald earned his starting spot for at least another game.
Bump!

Agreed that it's only one game. However, if you couldn't see the talent this guy possessed, you're an idiot.


Amazing he's only gained the starting spot this year. McD is an absolute animal and tonight is just another example. Sack and an INT in the same qtr, get outta here. He's pro-bowl material.

Thank god this coaching staff knows the talent on this roster.


GOOOO NINERS. GOOOO RAY MAC!
Bump
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
Bump!

Agreed that it's only one game. However, if you couldn't see the talent this guy possessed, you're an idiot.


Amazing he's only gained the starting spot this year. McD is an absolute animal and tonight is just another example. Sack and an INT in the same qtr, get outta here. He's pro-bowl material.

Thank god this coaching staff knows the talent on this roster.


GOOOO NINERS. GOOOO RAY MAC!

Ray Mac didnt have a pick.

I love the dude. I think hes a much better 3-4 end than Sopoaga is/was. I dont know how people can say he's to small. He's only an inch shorter than Justin Smith and five pounds heavier. He also started quite a few games for us in 09 I believe.
JH on Ray McD

When you first came to the 49ers in January, when did DT Ray McDonald first come on your radar? He hasn’t started any of the past two seasons. When did he first catch your attention, that he could be your starter at that left end?

“Very early. Met Ray and liked him right away as a guy and as a person. Watched the tape on Ray and we all felt that here’s a guy that’s just about ready to explode onto the scene. It’s kind of like there have been some tremors, some earthquake tremors have been reported and sighted on the Richter scale and here’s a guy that the big one could be coming. That’s why Ray was such a high priority for us to re-sign and get back on our football team. He had a marvelous game yesterday.”
Originally posted by Combzie:
JH on Ray McD

When you first came to the 49ers in January, when did DT Ray McDonald first come on your radar? He hasn’t started any of the past two seasons. When did he first catch your attention, that he could be your starter at that left end?

“Very early. Met Ray and liked him right away as a guy and as a person. Watched the tape on Ray and we all felt that here’s a guy that’s just about ready to explode onto the scene. It’s kind of like there have been some tremors, some earthquake tremors have been reported and sighted on the Richter scale and here’s a guy that the big one could be coming. That’s why Ray was such a high priority for us to re-sign and get back on our football team. He had a marvelous game yesterday.”

Previous coaches could not see what Harbaugh/Fangio see. Making a non-starter a high priority re-sign shows just how far apart opinions were about Mcdonald's talent. I doubt this game was a fluke. Tear it up Ray!!!
Big Mac
Originally posted by NorthNiner:
Originally posted by Combzie:
JH on Ray McD

When you first came to the 49ers in January, when did DT Ray McDonald first come on your radar? He hasn’t started any of the past two seasons. When did he first catch your attention, that he could be your starter at that left end?

“Very early. Met Ray and liked him right away as a guy and as a person. Watched the tape on Ray and we all felt that here’s a guy that’s just about ready to explode onto the scene. It’s kind of like there have been some tremors, some earthquake tremors have been reported and sighted on the Richter scale and here’s a guy that the big one could be coming. That’s why Ray was such a high priority for us to re-sign and get back on our football team. He had a marvelous game yesterday.”

Previous coaches could not see what Harbaugh/Fangio see. Making a non-starter a high priority re-sign shows just how far apart opinions were about Mcdonald's talent. I doubt this game was a fluke. Tear it up Ray!!!

I mean look at the title of the thread and when it was made... If fans on a forum can see it, how the heck can a HC not see it? I remember talking last season about how he got so much little playing time.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 8,104
I remember being excited when we drafted him. I've been waiting for him to get his chance, but I've been patient because I knew it'd take time because of his knee.

Credit to Jim Tomsula, too. I hope he never leaves.
Bump!


McDonald getting a lot of love this offseason, funny to see my original post in this thread and how it's come to fruition.

Thrilled this regime knows talent and implements it accordingly.
Wow... great bump. That was a lot of fun to read through again, and hilarious to read some of the opinions that just burnt to a crisp.
Sure make you realize why the coaches are the coaches and the commentators are the commentators.

The Power of Excellent Coaching.