There are 251 users in the forums

49ers 2011 Roster/Depth Chart Predictions

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
QB: Smith, Kaepernick, FA (Dennis Dixon or Josh Johnson)
RB: Gore, Hunter, Dixon
FB: Corcoran, Miller
WR: Edwards, Crabtree, Morgan, Johnson, Ginn
OL: Staley, Boone, Iupati, Wragge, Goodwin, Kilgore, Snyder, Rachal, Davis
TE: Davis, Walker, Reuland

DL: McDonald, Jean-Francois, Sopoaga, I.Williams, J.Smith, Tukuafu
OLB: Aldon Smith, Applewhite, Brooks, Gibson
ILB: Willis, Bowman, McKillop, Grant, Castonzo
CB: Rogers, Spencer, Brown, Adams, Culliver, Brock
S: D. Whitner, M.Williams, R.Smith, C.J. Spillman, C. Taylor

Pre-season game prediction: With the emergence of younger/faster/more talented OLBs on the roster such as Aldon Smith, Antwan Applewhite and Thaddeus Gibson, the 49ers eventually part ways with the underperforming Parys Haralson.

Nice perspective. Who are your projected starters? Man, with Smith, Applewhite, Brooks, Gibson, Haralson and Rowe, this is going to be one EPIC battle for pass rushers! Wow! Not to mention a couple of those guys can play inside, next to Willis at the TED spot on a dime as well. I wonder how many LBers overall, that we will keep.

My starters are as bolded; doesn't necessarily mean opening day starters, but eventual regular 2011 starting lineup. Glad you mentioned Rowe because I've always liked this kid and thought he'd make a perfect Steeler development-type 3-4 LB. I think he makes the practice squad this season, bulks up and challenges for a backup role in 2012.

Gotcha! Applewhite, many don't know about him but look out! And yes, love Rowe's potential as well. This is going to be one of the funnest position battles to watch, no doubt. I also have serious doubts about Spencer as he continues to have chronic hamstring issues.

Man, coming from you two, this is exciting. I haven't felt this good about this team in a long, long time. If the Niners can actually generate a pass rush, they will finally begin to win some of those close games they having been losing the past decade.

Unlike many Zoners, I feel the WCO (Harbaugh's version) actually suits Alex Smith's skill set very well because there is more play action. Now that he has a lot of targets a better scheme, and hopefully, a better OL.

Curious what you guys think about his chances for improvement this year? I'm actually optimistic.
[ Edited by nw9erfan on Aug 5, 2011 at 2:39 PM ]
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:

Pre-season game prediction: With the emergence of younger/faster/more talented OLBs on the roster such as Aldon Smith, Antwan Applewhite and Thaddeus Gibson, the 49ers eventually part ways with the underperforming Parys Haralson.

Nice perspective. Who are your projected starters? Man, with Smith, Applewhite, Brooks, Gibson, Haralson and Rowe, this is going to be one EPIC battle for pass rushers! Wow! Not to mention a couple of those guys can play inside, next to Willis at the TED spot on a dime as well. I wonder how many LBers overall, that we will keep.

My starters are as bolded; doesn't necessarily mean opening day starters, but eventual regular 2011 starting lineup. Glad you mentioned Rowe because I've always liked this kid and thought he'd make a perfect Steeler development-type 3-4 LB. I think he makes the practice squad this season, bulks up and challenges for a backup role in 2012.

Any reason why you have us keeping two FB's? I'd rather have 6 WR's than 2 FB's.

IMO, Harbaugh will emphasize the running game and feature the TEs prominently in his offense, as opposed to WRs. Having 3 key rotational WRs (Edwards, Morgan and Crabtree) along with two slot-types (RoJo and Ginn) will likely be enough (with guys like Kyle Williams, Kevin Jurovich and/or Tyler Beiler on the practice squad in the event of injury).

I've seen Harbaugh at Stanford run a 3-TE set on multiple occasions, so this guy REALLY loves his TEs. No joke...JH might even go with 1 FB and 4 TEs (Cloherty being a possibility here).

I don't know if he'd keep a 4th TE or 2nd FB if there'd be a more talented player at WR that we'd be leaving off the roster.

Or he could have the opinion that 5 WR's and 3 TE's is all he really needs and he'll give the last spot to whomever among the FB's, TE's and WR's offers the most to ST.

Either way though, I doubt he keeps 4 TE's merely for the sake of having 4 TE's. Especially with Byham going on IR, I just don't think there's the talent at TE to justify keeping 4 of them from an offensive standpoint.

Any reason why you have us keeping two FB's? I'd rather have 6 WR's than 2 FB's.

IMO, Harbaugh will emphasize the running game and feature the TEs prominently in his offense, as opposed to WRs. Having 3 key rotational WRs (Edwards, Morgan and Crabtree) along with two slot-types (RoJo and Ginn) will likely be enough (with guys like Kyle Williams, Kevin Jurovich and/or Tyler Beiler on the practice squad in the event of injury).

I've seen Harbaugh at Stanford run a 3-TE set on multiple occasions, so this guy REALLY loves his TEs. No joke...JH might even go with 1 FB and 4 TEs (Cloherty being a possibility here).

I don't know if he'd keep a 4th TE or 2nd FB if there'd be a more talented player at WR that we'd be leaving off the roster.

Or he could have the opinion that 5 WR's and 3 TE's is all he really needs and he'll give the last spot to whomever among the FB's, TE's and WR's offers the most to ST.

Either way though, I doubt he keeps 4 TE's merely for the sake of having 4 TE's. Especially with Byham going on IR, I just don't think there's the talent at TE to justify keeping 4 of them from an offensive standpoint.

Just speculation on my part.
I think we will work hard to keep Bruce Miller because of his ability to play on both sides of the ball now.. I still can't see how we couldn't at least give him a chance on defense.

Fair enough. Not like this is all that important but it's fun to talk about.

Fair enough. Not like this is all that important but it's fun to talk about.

Good call Ghost....I was thinking the same thing. However, if Miller impresses, I can see him making the final roster because of his versatility (ability to play ST and defense too). Losing Byham was actually a pretty big loss because he could have been that swing guy (TE, FB)... Gotta move on though...

Cheers!
Originally posted by nw9erfan:

Good call Ghost....I was thinking the same thing. However, if Miller impresses, I can see him making the final roster because of his versatility (ability to play ST and defense too). Losing Byham was actually a pretty big loss because he could have been that swing guy (TE, FB)... Gotta move on though...

Cheers!

Byham was definitely a big loss in terms of roster flexibility...was looking for him to have a nice year both as a blocker and pass-catcher in this offense. Guess we'll have to wait.
I am sure there will be a surprise or two. But I think Ted Ginn could be one of those last cuts. With Edwards, Crabcake and Morgan I think they may go youth movement afterwards with Johnson, Williams and maybe another youngster. Also if stiff as a board not able to catch or run Moran Norris makes this team I might puke. Also just a hunch that Chilo could be on a very short leash.
Originally posted by leakyfausett:
I am sure there will be a surprise or two. But I think Ted Ginn could be one of those last cuts. With Edwards, Crabcake and Morgan I think they may go youth movement afterwards with Johnson, Williams and maybe another youngster. Also if stiff as a board not able to catch or run Moran Norris makes this team I might puke. Also just a hunch that Chilo could be on a very short leash.

I would rather have Ginn over Williams simply because Ginn is a better return man and isn't as injury prone.

I would rather have Ginn over Williams simply because Ginn is a better return man and isn't as injury prone.

I just can't take his drops. Yes Williams so far has not played because of injury. Maybe one of the new young FA's steps up and takes a spot.
I think it would be a waste to carry 6 WRs. As much as I have hope for Williams, I think he gets cut and ends up on the PS.

6 WRs in an offense that will likely feature TEs just as much as WRs and a back like Gore is a waste. I would much rather go with 4 receivers because Walker is almost like a wide out anyway. Still, we will likely keep 5 because Ginn is needed for his return abilities.

Totally agree... The Niners have added several guys (Ronald Johnson, Culliver, and even Hunter among them) who can be return specialists so suddenly, Ginn's value to the team diminishes even more. Unless he has a really good pre-season, I see him as a cut.

Also wouldn't be surprised at all to see Haralson and Rachal as final cuts too, for that matter. Let's hope that better coaching makes a difference in Chilo's case.

I think it is highly doubtful that Morris makes the cut this year. Not nearly versatile enough for this offense.

Looks like the Niners are moving in the direction of adding players who are versatile (ala New England) so even though they may get younger, they will get better.
[ Edited by nw9erfan on Aug 5, 2011 at 2:51 PM ]
I hope someone is interested in Mays and Ginn...that there is some trade value. I am rooting for Ziggy to make the final roster as a WR, but I agree, with VD and Walker, the need to keep a 6th WR is slim.
Maybe ginn will learn to catch under harball.
Share 49ersWebzone