LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 256 users in the forums

49ers 2011 Roster/Depth Chart Predictions

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rentemspoons:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
QB: Smith, Kaepernick, FA (Dennis Dixon or Josh Johnson)
RB: Gore, Hunter, Dixon
FB: Corcoran, Miller
WR: Edwards, Crabtree, Morgan, Johnson, Ginn
OL: Staley, Boone, Iupati, Wragge, Goodwin, Kilgore, Snyder, Rachal, Davis
TE: Davis, Walker, Reuland

DL: McDonald, Jean-Francois, Sopoaga, I.Williams, J.Smith, Tukuafu
OLB: Aldon Smith, Applewhite, Brooks, Gibson
ILB: Willis, Bowman, McKillop, Grant, Castonzo
CB: Rogers, Spencer, Brown, Adams, Culliver, Brock
S: D. Whitner, M.Williams, R.Smith, C.J. Spillman, C. Taylor

Pre-season game prediction: With the emergence of younger/faster/more talented OLBs on the roster such as Aldon Smith, Antwan Applewhite and Thaddeus Gibson, the 49ers eventually part ways with the underperforming Parys Haralson.

I woudl cut ... C. Taylor, Madieu Williams, and Either Gibson/Costanzo and add a 6th WR

constanzo got pulled in for one reason seely's special teams... so hes not gonna leave
Originally posted by NCommand:

Pre-season game prediction: With the emergence of younger/faster/more talented OLBs on the roster such as Aldon Smith, Antwan Applewhite and Thaddeus Gibson, the 49ers eventually part ways with the underperforming Parys Haralson.

Nice perspective. Who are your projected starters? Man, with Smith, Applewhite, Brooks, Gibson, Haralson and Rowe, this is going to be one EPIC battle for pass rushers! Wow! Not to mention a couple of those guys can play inside, next to Willis at the TED spot on a dime as well. I wonder how many LBers overall, that we will keep.

My starters are as bolded; doesn't necessarily mean opening day starters, but eventual regular 2011 starting lineup. Glad you mentioned Rowe because I've always liked this kid and thought he'd make a perfect Steeler development-type 3-4 LB. I think he makes the practice squad this season, bulks up and challenges for a backup role in 2012.
I read something today that Harbaugh said he will only have 7 OL, so they all need to be versatile. Thinnk that holds?
Originally posted by SJniner7:
I read something today that Harbaugh said he will only have 7 OL, so they all need to be versatile. Thinnk that holds?

Wow, 7 is not a lot. So then it will obviously be Davis, Snyder, Goodwin, Iupati, Staley, Rachal and Wragge.

Although I'd like to see Rachal get cut. This guy is not versatile at all. I'd much rather have one of Harbaugh's Stanford guys like Beeler make the team, although I bet he goes to the PS, and someone like Kilgore makes the team. This is if Chilo is gone.

IMO, he'll need to have at least 8 on the active roster (5 starting, 2 backups and 1 game-day inactive).

Doubt it. The risk of injury over a 16 game (hopefully more) schedule is too great. Plus you need enough OL bodies to do rotations during practice.

What he COULD have meant is that he will have only 7 OL on his Game Day 45 Active roster, which is different than the Final 53. This is often a customary strategy.

Game Day Active 45 might look like
Starters: Staley, Iupati, Goodwin, Rachal, Davis, with Snyder as the swing tackle, and Wragge backing up the 3 interior spots, with Boone and Kilgore inactive.

Or

Starters: Staley, Iupati, Goodwin, Snyder, Davis, with Boone as swing tackle and Wragge backing up the 3 interior spots, with Kilgore and tbd inactive. (Rachal would be cut under this scenario).

I see 9 OL on the Final 53, with an additional OL on the PS.
[ Edited by jimbagg on Aug 5, 2011 at 1:00 PM ]
Originally posted by fan49:
Originally posted by Rentemspoons:

I woudl cut ... C. Taylor, Madieu Williams, and Either Gibson/Costanzo and add a 6th WR

constanzo got pulled in for one reason seely's special teams... so hes not gonna leave

I would be happy with that roster.

Nice perspective. Who are your projected starters? Man, with Smith, Applewhite, Brooks, Gibson, Haralson and Rowe, this is going to be one EPIC battle for pass rushers! Wow! Not to mention a couple of those guys can play inside, next to Willis at the TED spot on a dime as well. I wonder how many LBers overall, that we will keep.

My starters are as bolded; doesn't necessarily mean opening day starters, but eventual regular 2011 starting lineup. Glad you mentioned Rowe because I've always liked this kid and thought he'd make a perfect Steeler development-type 3-4 LB. I think he makes the practice squad this season, bulks up and challenges for a backup role in 2012.

Any reason why you have us keeping two FB's? I'd rather have 6 WR's than 2 FB's.
wishful week 1 lineup
Originally posted by fortyniner52:
QB: Smith, Kapernick, Sorgi=Peyton pupil
WR: Edwards, Crabtree, Morgan, Johnson, Ginn, Williams
TE: Davis, Walker, Cottam

LB: A Smith, Applewhite, Brooks, Willis, Bowman, McKillop, Grant, Haralson, ST:Castonzo
CB: Samuel, Rogers, Spencer, Brown, Adams, Culliver,
S: Darren Sharper, M.Williams, Spillman, Whitner, R.Smith, C.Jones

ST: Akers, Lee, Jennings

wishful week 1 lineup
QB: Smith, Kapernick, Sorgi=Peyton pupil
WR: Edwards, Crabtree, Morgan, Johnson, Ginn, Williams
TE: Davis, Walker, Cottam

LB: A Smith, Applewhite, Brooks, Willis, Bowman, McKillop, Grant, Haralson, ST:Castonzo
CB: Samuel, Rogers, Spencer, Brown, Adams, Culliver,
S: Darren Sharper, M.Williams, Spillman, Whitner, R.Smith, C.Jones

ST: Akers, Lee, Jennings

Man. If only the NFL had a 56 man roster.

Gotcha! Applewhite, many don't know about him but look out! And yes, love Rowe's potntial as well. This is going to be one of the funnest position battles to watch, no doubt. I also have serious doubts about Spencer as he continues to have chronic hamstring issues.
Originally posted by jimbagg:

Doubt it. The risk of injury over a 16 game (hopefully more) schedule is too great. Plus you need enough OL bodies to do rotations during practice.

What he COULD have meant is that he will have only 7 OL on his Game Day 45 Active roster, which is different than the Final 53. This is often a customary strategy.

Game Day Active 45 might look like
Starters: Staley, Iupati, Goodwin, Rachal, Davis, with Snyder as the swing tackle, and Wragge backing up the 3 interior spots, with Boone and Kilgore inactive.

Or

Starters: Staley, Iupati, Goodwin, Snyder, Davis, with Boone as swing tackle and Wragge backing up the 3 interior spots, with Kilgore and tbd inactive. (Rachal would be cut under this scenario).

I see 9 OL on the Final 53, with an additional OL on the PS.

I wasn't thinking of active/inactives, and that definitely makes sense! Good catch!
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:

Any reason why you have us keeping two FB's? I'd rather have 6 WR's than 2 FB's.

IMO, Harbaugh will emphasize the running game and feature the TEs prominently in his offense, as opposed to WRs. Having 3 key rotational WRs (Edwards, Morgan and Crabtree) along with two slot-types (RoJo and Ginn) will likely be enough (with guys like Kyle Williams, Kevin Jurovich and/or Tyler Beiler on the practice squad in the event of injury).

I've seen Harbaugh at Stanford run a 3-TE set on multiple occasions, so this guy REALLY loves his TEs. No joke...JH might even go with 1 FB and 4 TEs (Cloherty being a possibility here).
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Aug 5, 2011 at 2:15 PM ]
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:

IMO, Harbaugh will emphasize the running game and feature the TEs prominently in his offense, as opposed to WRs. Having 3 key rotational WRs (Edwards, Morgan and Crabtree) along with two slot-types (RoJo and Ginn) will likely be enough (with a guys like Williams, Jurovich and/or Beiler on the practice squad in the event of injury).

I've seen Stanford run a 3-TE set on multiple occasions, so this guy REALLy loves his TEs. No joke...JH might even go with 1 FB and 4 TEs (Cloherty being a possibility here).

I know Harbaugh likes to use those 3 TE sets, but he has repeatedly said he will adjust his scheme to the strength of the players on the team.

I really love the way our offense looks right now. We have the personnel to run heavy TE sets all game, and even spread it out with our new talented receiving core.

Imagine a line up like this:

Edwards------Walker---OL-OL-OL-OL-OL-V.Davis----------Crabtree
Smith

Gore
Share 49ersWebzone