Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by Jikkle49:
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by oldman9er:

Oh cmon, in what article JH is talking about Smith does he mention how well Alex plays? What hes said so far isnt a glowing endorsement of Smiths abilities on Sunday.

He never once said he plans to start Smith

Google takes just a minute. Saves you from the embarrassment of eating your words.

Quote:
New 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh is so sure Alex Smith will play for San Francisco this season, he gave the unsigned free agent a playbook during the NFL draft. Harbaugh even expects Smith to be his starting quarterback if and when the 2011 season swings around

http://sanfrancisco49ers.thefootballfanshop.info/san-francisco-49ers-rumors/harbaugh-expects-qb-alex-smith-to-start-if-he-returns/

Quote:
Harbaugh: ‘I like Alex … I like what I see on tape’

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2011/02/inside-the-49ers/harbaugh-on-knbr-i-like-alex/

Now, you were saying?

He expects Smith to start isnt the same as saying he will. As HC he could have said Smith "will" start not that he expects Smith to beat Carr and Kap to start. Him liking what he sees on tape isnt a glowing endorsement either. He easily could have gone into specifics on what he liked and why. You know on how Smith keeps his poise under pressure, accuracy, arm strength etc etc. All we got was tough dillo skin and how hes been treated. You also forgot to google paying 5 mill to start too. Where did that# come from? Seems youre assuming some things and might have made up another. Just sayin

Be careful that you don't trip backpedlling like that. This is the whole problem with you guys, you want to argue, but refuse to come to the debate prepared to back up your position with fact. Hyperbole won't get you anywhere on this site. too many that know what they are talking about, the oldman being just one of many.

How is it a back pedal? If JH was so set on Smith starting he could and would have said so. Thats a fact you and others ignore. Which would totally kill any argument on whos the 49ers starting QB. You only assume Smith will start while having no facts that he will. Training camp is when the QB battle starts and its a OPEN competition thats a fact. Kap & Carr have just as much a chance to start as Smith thats a fact. What facts do you bring regarding Smith as our starter? Oh wait there are none just your assumptions, expectations and hope that its Alex.

I think it's clear that Smith will be penciled in as starter but I think what Harbaugh means is that he's going to have no problem starting Kap or Carr if they are clearly the best option for the job.

It's not going to be a situation where if you're a team with Rodgers, Manning, Brees, Brady, or etc they're going to be your starting QB no questions asked as long as they are healthy.

Basically Smith has the clear advantage but if Kapernick sets the world on fire and gets a good grasp of the playbook than I can see him starting day 1.
That is wishful thinking.

There is no way a team can win in this league with a QB starting from day one. Harbaugh knows that better than anyone here and that is, IMO, one of the main reasons he has made such a play to keep Alex here. He knows that Kap is not ever remotely close to being ready to play in this league as a rookie, especially now that he has missed so much time.

Coaching is even more important than most people assume. It makes or breaks even a good team. This team still has major holes to fill but if Harbaugh can bring some decent position coaches and good schemes to the table, this team could win 8 games, and that might be good enough to win in this weak division.

Yeah, just look at the Rams, they went from a 1-15 record two seasons ago to 7-9 last season, with the addition of great coaching....oh wait they Steve Spagnuolo was part of that 1-15 team, never-mind. Well, they certainly didn't get 7 wins with a rookie quarterback starting from day one...wait scratch that.

My point is that there are some qb's that can start from day one and have some success, because I have a hard time believing that the Rams have top tier coaching. So to say that there is no qbs that can start from day one and not get wins is far from the truth, since there are examples that prove the contrary.

I agree, though, that Alex was not one of these qb and Myer stated that from the get go. I just hope Harbaugh can undue six years of horrible coaching, since many believe that's the root of the problem.

Walsh was 2-14 his first year. Good thing Montana saved him from being a mediocre coach. Seriously, Coaching is the key and a good QB is a must. But, didn't Dilfer win a super bowl?

[ Edited by dtg_9er on Jun 26, 2011 at 22:06:24 ]
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Oh cmon, in what article JH is talking about Smith does he mention how well Alex plays? What hes said so far isnt a glowing endorsement of Smiths abilities on Sunday.

Google takes just a minute. Saves you from the embarrassment of eating your words.

Quote:
New 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh is so sure Alex Smith will play for San Francisco this season, he gave the unsigned free agent a playbook during the NFL draft. Harbaugh even expects Smith to be his starting quarterback if and when the 2011 season swings around

http://sanfrancisco49ers.thefootballfanshop.info/san-francisco-49ers-rumors/harbaugh-expects-qb-alex-smith-to-start-if-he-returns/

Quote:

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2011/02/inside-the-49ers/harbaugh-on-knbr-i-like-alex/

Now, you were saying?

He expects Smith to start isnt the same as saying he will. As HC he could have said Smith "will" start not that he expects Smith to beat Carr and Kap to start. Him liking what he sees on tape isnt a glowing endorsement either. He easily could have gone into specifics on what he liked and why. You know on how Smith keeps his poise under pressure, accuracy, arm strength etc etc. All we got was tough dillo skin and how hes been treated. You also forgot to google paying 5 mill to start too. Where did that# come from? Seems youre assuming some things and might have made up another. Just sayin

Be careful that you don't trip backpedlling like that. This is the whole problem with you guys, you want to argue, but refuse to come to the debate prepared to back up your position with fact. Hyperbole won't get you anywhere on this site. too many that know what they are talking about, the oldman being just one of many.

How is it a back pedal? If JH was so set on Smith starting he could and would have said so. Thats a fact you and others ignore. Which would totally kill any argument on whos the 49ers starting QB. You only assume Smith will start while having no facts that he will. Training camp is when the QB battle starts and its a OPEN competition thats a fact. Kap & Carr have just as much a chance to start as Smith thats a fact. What facts do you bring regarding Smith as our starter? Oh wait there are none just your assumptions, expectations and hope that its Alex.

I think it's clear that Smith will be penciled in as starter but I think what Harbaugh means is that he's going to have no problem starting Kap or Carr if they are clearly the best option for the job.

It's not going to be a situation where if you're a team with Rodgers, Manning, Brees, Brady, or etc they're going to be your starting QB no questions asked as long as they are healthy.

Basically Smith has the clear advantage but if Kapernick sets the world on fire and gets a good grasp of the playbook than I can see him starting day 1.

There is no way a team can win in this league with a QB starting from day one. Harbaugh knows that better than anyone here and that is, IMO, one of the main reasons he has made such a play to keep Alex here. He knows that Kap is not ever remotely close to being ready to play in this league as a rookie, especially now that he has missed so much time.

Coaching is even more important than most people assume. It makes or breaks even a good team. This team still has major holes to fill but if Harbaugh can bring some decent position coaches and good schemes to the table, this team could win 8 games, and that might be good enough to win in this weak division.

Yeah, just look at the Rams, they went from a 1-15 record two seasons ago to 7-9 last season, with the addition of great coaching....oh wait they Steve Spagnuolo was part of that 1-15 team, never-mind. Well, they certainly didn't get 7 wins with a rookie quarterback starting from day one...wait scratch that.

My point is that there are some qb's that can start from day one and have some success, because I have a hard time believing that the Rams have top tier coaching. So to say that there is no qbs that can start from day one and not get wins is far from the truth, since there are examples that prove the contrary.

I agree, though, that Alex was not one of these qb and Myer stated that from the get go. I just hope Harbaugh can undue six years of horrible coaching, since many believe that's the root of the problem.

Walsh was 2-14 his first year. Good thing Montana saved him from being a mediocre coach.

as for the previous poster after HC becomes coach it usually takes 1 year efore your team becomes good

and sam bradford is a unique case he is 23 years old rookie (pretty old) came from college as a pro ready qb and a spectacular prospect

Quote:

Quote:

Now, you were saying?

Walsh was 2-14 his first year. Good thing Montana saved him from being a mediocre coach. Seriously, Coaching is the key and a good QB is a must. But, didn't Dilfer win a super bowl?

I dont disagree that good coaching is necessary, but I think a good qb makes a coach look good and vice-versa. Would Walsh have been as good without Montana, Idk.Hell, Belichick had only one winning season as the coach of the Browns. Then Brady lands on his team and all of a sudden he becomes a Hall of Famer. As far as,Dilfer winning the superbowl, that was merely due to his great defense.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

Quote:

Quote:

Now, you were saying?

Walsh was 2-14 his first year. Good thing Montana saved him from being a mediocre coach.

as for the previous poster after HC becomes coach it usually takes 1 year efore your team becomes good

and sam bradford is a unique case he is 23 years old rookie (pretty old) came from college as a pro ready qb and a spectacular prospect

So, we shouldnt expect much out of Harbaugh and Alex next year, since its his first year, right? Sam Bradford was a unique case? Didn't Matt Ryan get drafted by a 4-12 team and take them to the playoffs his rookie year?

The poster said no qb can come in from day one and win in this league, well i just pointing out that there have been qb's that have come in from day one and succeeded.

[ Edited by Bay2Bay9erAllday on Jun 26, 2011 at 22:38:50 ]
  • dj43

Quote:

Quote:

Now, you were saying?

I don't care to start a major debate about the topic because we both appear to understand it is very hard to win in this league with a rookie QB. That having been said, Steve Spagnuolo is a very bright coach with a big future in this league. He changed the culture in St Louis to one that now competes hard in each game.

He also made some major changes in their defense and benefitted from some recent high draft picks who played well last season.

Finally, Sam Bradford had Pat Shurmur, one of the best young offensive minds in the game, spoon-feeding him the offense in tiny bites and keeping him well within his comfort zone.

Summarily, yes, the Rams had VERY good coaching last season and won some games with a rookie but that rookie was not able to put the team on his back and take them into the playoffs. Nothing against Bradford but it just shows how hard it is to win with a rookie, even a $50MILLION rookie. While I hope Kap does well, he isn't in the same universe with Bradford at this point.

[ Edited by dj43 on Jun 26, 2011 at 23:05:52 ]

Quote:

Quote:

Now, you were saying?

I don't care to start a major debate about the topic because we both appear to understand it is very hard to win in this league with a rookie QB. That having been said, Steve Spagnuolo is a very bright coach with a big future in this league. He changed the culture in St Louis to one that now competes hard in each game.

He also made some major changes in their defense and benefitted from some recent high draft picks who played well last season.

Finally, Sam Bradford hat Pat Shurmur, one of the best young offensive minds in the game, spoon-feeding him the offense in tiny bites and keeping him well within his comfort zone.

Summarily, yes, the Rams had VERY good coaching last season and won some games with a rookie but that rookie was not able to put the team on his back and take them into the playoffs. Nothing against Bradford but it just shows how hard it is to win with a rookie, even a $50MILLION rookie. While I hope Kap does well, he isn't in the same universe with Bradford at this point.

Im just playing devils advocate here. You stated that there is no way that a team can win with a qb coming in from day one and I provided one that has. Now, you're saying that he didn't take them to the playoffs, well this is were i bring up Matt Ryan.

I think you were better off saying that a team cant win with gimmicky rookie qb's starting from day one, then I would have agreed. I believe Kaep is not ready to start from day one and that was one of the reasons Harbaugh is bringing Alex back, the other being that there is no other options, due to the lockout.
  • dj43

Quote:

Quote:

Now, you were saying?

Finally, Sam Bradford hat Pat Shurmur, one of the best young offensive minds in the game, spoon-feeding him the offense in tiny bites and keeping him well within his comfort zone.

Im just playing devils advocate here. You stated that there is no way that a team can win with a qb coming in from day one and I provided one that has. Now, you're saying that he didn't take them to the playoffs, well this is were i bring up Matt Ryan.

I think you were better off saying that a team cant win with gimmicky rookie qb's starting from day one, then I would have agreed. I believe Kaep is not ready to start from day one and that was one of the reasons Harbaugh is bringing Alex back, the other being that there is no other options, due to the lockout.
Matt Ryan won his rookie year because of good defense and a good running game. Mike Smith didn't have to ask him to do a lot and he didn't do all that much. Ryan was well protected.

Winning means better than 8-8.
It's coaching! A good coach would have cut Alexis years ago. I just hope harbs gets smart before AS bags another one.

Quote:

Quote:

Now, you were saying?

Matt Ryan won his rookie year because of good defense and a good running game. Mike Smith didn't have to ask him to do a lot and he didn't do all that much. Ryan was well protected.

So, Ryan(rookie of the year) had nothing to do with their turnaround from 4-12 to 11-5 record? Okay....

Remember the very first pass Ryan threw?

Quote:

Quote:

Now, you were saying?

So, Ryan(rookie of the year) had nothing to do with their turnaround from 4-12 to 11-5 record? Okay....

[ Edited by nevadalove9ers2 on Jun 26, 2011 at 23:52:21 ]

Originally posted by nevadalove9ers2:

Quote:

Quote:

Now, you were saying?

Are you talking about his 62 yd td pass, where he had a whole 2 sec to get it off....Yeah, I remember that one, but it was due to coaching

[ Edited by Bay2Bay9erAllday on Jun 27, 2011 at 00:33:08 ]
Sing
Why is everyone acting as if Bradford set the world on fire anyway?

Okay, so we all admit and recognize that Alex was a 20 year old in 2005 and had NO business stepping onto the field for a talent deprived team. Yes? All agree?

So year 2... full year... Alex puts up a 74.8 QBR. He does this with the wonderful Kwame Harris at tackle and essentially nothing at receiver.

So how did the much more ready Sam Bradford do in this grand year? 76.5

Don't misunderstand... Bradford did fine for a rookie and he will very likely grow into a very good QB. But I see no logic in exaggerating Sam just to further dump on Alex. Essentially, they were both rookies when they put up the above numbers.

If people really want to say it is unfair to dismiss 2005 because it's convenient, then not much can be done about that. I dismiss the 2005 year for all the reasons above. I dismiss the 2007 year, as the stats are skewed due to throws made from a separated shoulder.

I dont disagree that good coaching is necessary, but I think a good qb makes a coach look good and vice-versa. Would Walsh have been as good without Montana, Idk.Hell, Belichick had only one winning season as the coach of the Browns. Then Brady lands on his team and all of a sudden he becomes a Hall of Famer. As far as,Dilfer winning the superbowl, that was merely due to his great defense.

My argument would be that great coaches tend to win with various QBs over their careers. They are in the drivers seat and should get a large part of the blame/credit. QBs have a hard time overcoming bad or mediocre coaching.

Teams have won with very mediocre QBs, using defense and mixing in a few passes with a strong run game. Teams seldom win with the type of coaches the 9ers have had since Mariucci was shown the door.

It all starts and ends with the coaching staff (and GM). They choose the players, set the scheme, organize practices (until lately), and orchestrate team success or failure. The QB is part of an eleven man offense, dependent on the other ten to do their jobs.

This is why many posters have been crying out for competent team management and coaches for years. Singletary did not put in the time as an assistent coach, and both he and Nolan were devoid of any offensive knowledge. Hence the disasterous years.

Those who want to blame the QB do not really want to blame the QB, they want to blame a certain person who has been the QB for some time. They seldom criticize other QBs with the same hostility. JTO, S Hill, Nate, Pickett, and Dilfer were all unsucessful in leading this team to greatness...because coaching limited their ability to succeed to the mediocre level they were capable of acheiving.
Why is everyone acting as if Bradford set the world on fire anyway?

Okay, so we all admit and recognize that Alex was a 20 year old in 2005 and had NO business stepping onto the field for a talent deprived team. Yes? All agree?

So year 2... full year... Alex puts up a 74.8 QBR. He does this with the wonderful Kwame Harris at tackle and essentially nothing at receiver.

So how did the much more ready Sam Bradford do in this grand year? 76.5

Don't misunderstand... Bradford did fine for a rookie and he will very likely grow into a very good QB. But I see no logic in exaggerating Sam just to further dump on Alex. Essentially, they were both rookies when they put up the above numbers.

If people really want to say it is unfair to dismiss 2005 because it's convenient, then not much can be done about that. I dismiss the 2005 year for all the reasons above. I dismiss the 2007 year, as the stats are skewed due to throws made from a separated shoulder.

Your cup spilleth over my 49er friend. Your value of Smith is exagerrated and hes never come close to looking like a stud QB like Sam Bradford. Ever.
Share 49ersWebzone