There are 173 users in the forums

What was a bigger problem last year?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What was a bigger problem last year?

Originally posted by WildBill:

Harbaugh is just doing what he needs to, not because Alex IS an all pro talent in waiting. So in order to cover his a$$, he is kissing Alex's for now.

So then, you are calling your HC a kiss-a$$ phony? Oh, okay... gotcha. You notice the vids and articles showing how excited Jim gets when talking about what he sees on film from Alex? Oh, but guess Jim is also just a great actor too... right? He plans to pay Alex approximately 5+ million and start him on his year 1 team despite the obvious reality that Alex is a terrible QB... hmmm.... yeah, okay.

Tell yourself whatever you need to to get through this... but save the self-preservational mechanism for someone else.

Originally posted by oldman9er:

Harbaugh is just doing what he needs to, not because Alex IS an all pro talent in waiting. So in order to cover his a$$, he is kissing Alex's for now.

So then, you are calling your HC a kiss-a$$ phony? Oh, okay... gotcha. You notice the vids and articles showing how excited Jim gets when talking about what he sees on film from Alex? Oh, but guess Jim is also just a great actor too... right? He plans to pay Alex approximately 5+ million and start him on his year 1 team despite the obvious reality that Alex is a terrible QB... hmmm.... yeah, okay.

Tell yourself whatever you need to to get through this... but save the self-preservational mechanism for someone else.

Who the hell else do you expect to start this season? Carr? Troy? Kaepernick? The first two are atrocious options in comparison to Alex Smith and you've gotta agree with me on that.
Trust me when I say I'm not happy with the fact that we're stuck with Smith for another year, but apparently Alex is the lesser of all evils in the eyes of Harbaugh. So if there's a possibility for Harbaugh to gain someone that has somewhat of a rapport with the players on offense and redshirt Kaepernick for a year while attempting to cater to his strengths, there're no better choices beyond that.

Oh cmon, in what article JH is talking about Smith does he mention how well Alex plays? He only talked about Smith having tough skin and saying he can win with that. What hes said so far isnt a glowing endorsement of Smiths abilities on Sunday. He never once said he plans to start Smith and where did paying Smith 5 mill come out? He only said hes excited that Smith will stay. Nothing more nothing less and he has said it will be a open competition for starting QB. It seems youre making things up to fit your view on Smith. The only honest thing you said is bolded above. The words underlined could be viewed as a personal attack or inciting. You should be careful about that. Id hate to see you get in trouble before Kaepernick takes over the starting gig at QB before week 1
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:

Oh cmon, in what article JH is talking about Smith does he mention how well Alex plays? What hes said so far isnt a glowing endorsement of Smiths abilities on Sunday.

He never once said he plans to start Smith

Google takes just a minute. Saves you from the embarrassment of eating your words.

Quote:
New 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh is so sure Alex Smith will play for San Francisco this season, he gave the unsigned free agent a playbook during the NFL draft. Harbaugh even expects Smith to be his starting quarterback if and when the 2011 season swings around

http://sanfrancisco49ers.thefootballfanshop.info/san-francisco-49ers-rumors/harbaugh-expects-qb-alex-smith-to-start-if-he-returns/

Quote:
Harbaugh: ‘I like Alex … I like what I see on tape’

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2011/02/inside-the-49ers/harbaugh-on-knbr-i-like-alex/

Now, you were saying?

Oh cmon, in what article JH is talking about Smith does he mention how well Alex plays? What hes said so far isnt a glowing endorsement of Smiths abilities on Sunday.

Google takes just a minute. Saves you from the embarrassment of eating your words.

Quote:
New 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh is so sure Alex Smith will play for San Francisco this season, he gave the unsigned free agent a playbook during the NFL draft. Harbaugh even expects Smith to be his starting quarterback if and when the 2011 season swings around

http://sanfrancisco49ers.thefootballfanshop.info/san-francisco-49ers-rumors/harbaugh-expects-qb-alex-smith-to-start-if-he-returns/

Quote:

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2011/02/inside-the-49ers/harbaugh-on-knbr-i-like-alex/

Now, you were saying?

He expects Smith to start isnt the same as saying he will. As HC he could have said Smith "will" start not that he expects Smith to beat Carr and Kap to start. Him liking what he sees on tape isnt a glowing endorsement either. He easily could have gone into specifics on what he liked and why. You know on how Smith keeps his poise under pressure, accuracy, arm strength etc etc. All we got was tough dillo skin and how hes been treated. You also forgot to google paying 5 mill to start too. Where did that# come from? Seems youre assuming some things and might have made up another. Just sayin

He expects Smith to start isnt the same as saying he will. As HC he could have said Smith "will" start not that he expects Smith to beat Carr and Kap to start. Him liking what he sees on tape isnt a glowing endorsement either. He easily could have gone into specifics on what he liked and why. You know on how Smith keeps his poise under pressure, accuracy, arm strength etc etc. All we got was tough dillo skin and how hes been treated. You also forgot to google paying 5 mill to start too. Where did that# come from? Seems youre assuming some things and might have made up another. Just sayin

Hilarious way to try and save face. That's a great squirm-job there after I shot down both your attempts with linkage! Here's another one.... I didn't just pull a number outta thin air.

Quote:
Smith has a standing one-year contract – believed to be worth up to $5 million – on the table when the lockout ends and free agency begins.

Read more: http://www.sacbee.com/2011/05/18/3634898/new-father-alex-smith-works-out.html#ixzz1Q9Y3puTJ

Hilarious way to try and save face. That's a great squirm-job there after I shot down both your attempts with linkage! Here's another one.... I didn't just pull a number outta thin air.

Quote:
Smith has a standing one-year contract – believed to be worth up to $5 million – on the table when the lockout ends and free agency begins.

Read more: http://www.sacbee.com/2011/05/18/3634898/new-father-alex-smith-works-out.html#ixzz1Q9Y3puTJ

Squirm job? Not at all only wanted definates not insults. Which none of your links provided and proves that youre going on assumptions. We all read the same articles you know. Which makes this s**t offseason and this thread so much fun.

You assume Alex will start because JH expects him to. Not because JH has said Alex will start and thats something that you ignore. He only likes Smiths tape didnt say what and why. He had the chance to explain but left it at like.

You assume because JH likes Smith tape he will start and not be a back up. His contract was only believed to be up to 5 mill on a 1 year deal. Again your assuming its 5 million which it could be anything up to that number. No one knows what it will be or for how much yet. As it looked when it was offered n refused thats back up money.

JH has only gone so far as saying that Smith has played in the NFL, won in the NFL and he expects and would bet on Smith starting. Same could about David Carr and JH likes his tape too. Theres nothing but a betting chance for Smith and thats how it should be. Nothing should be handed to a guy who was as much a problem as Sing last year.

Quote:

Squirm job? Not at all only wanted definates not insults. Which none of your links provided and proves that youre going on assumptions. We all read the same articles you know. Which makes this s**t offseason and this thread so much fun.

You assume Alex will start because JH expects him to. Not because JH has said Alex will start and thats something that you ignore. He only likes Smiths tape didnt say what and why. He had the chance to explain but left it at like.

You assume because JH likes Smith tape he will start and not be a back up. His contract was only believed to be up to 5 mill on a 1 year deal. Again your assuming its 5 million which it could be anything up to that number. No one knows what it will be or for how much yet. As it looked when it was offered n refused thats back up money.

JH has only gone so far as saying that Smith has played in the NFL, won in the NFL and he expects and would bet on Smith starting. Same could about David Carr and JH likes his tape too. Theres nothing but a betting chance for Smith and thats how it should be. Nothing should be handed to a guy who was as much a problem as Sing last year.

But he didn't say that about Carr... Just accept that you got caught in a poor argument. It happens.
Coaching by far!!! I think the problem with nolan and singletary was not that they were horrible coaches but way too stubborn to adapt to the players. Every player responds differently and while vd may have learned from the spanking he recieved for being a bad boy alex smith for instance may be a guy who just needs to be let loose. We have been way too cautious with him from day one. Allow the kid to let the damn ball fly ala tom brady so he can get into some sort of rythm

Quote:

Quote:

Now, you were saying?

Be careful that you don't trip backpedlling like that. This is the whole problem with you guys, you want to argue, but refuse to come to the debate prepared to back up your position with fact. Hyperbole won't get you anywhere on this site. too many that know what they are talking about, the oldman being just one of many.

Originally posted by Memphis9er:

Quote:

Quote:

Now, you were saying?

Be careful that you don't trip backpedlling like that. This is the whole problem with you guys, you want to argue, but refuse to come to the debate prepared to back up your position with fact. Hyperbole won't get you anywhere on this site. too many that know what they are talking about, the oldman being just one of many.

How is it a back pedal? If JH was so set on Smith starting he could and would have said so. Thats a fact you and others ignore. Which would totally kill any argument on whos the 49ers starting QB. You only assume Smith will start while having no facts that he will. Training camp is when the QB battle starts and its a OPEN competition thats a fact. Kap & Carr have just as much a chance to start as Smith thats a fact. What facts do you bring regarding Smith as our starter? Oh wait there are none just your assumptions, expectations and hope that its Alex.
You are just clinging desperately to hope here, Jimmy.

Why would Harbaugh state firmly that "Alex WILL be the starter" while Alex isn't even signed to the team? Why would he state that anyway and perhaps lessen the effort level given by the others? Should Harbaugh then state that "Frank Gore WILL be our starter?"

Does he really need to?

What we are talking about is probabilities and intelligent deductive reasoning based on all reports and quotes coming out. That's all we as fans can do at this point. It would take a real "miracle" or injury for anyone but Alex to be starting. That's something you are gonna have to deal with at some point.

... but go ahead, cling to the hope because Jim didn't specifically say with guaranteed fact that "Alex will start".

You are just clinging desperately to hope here, Jimmy.

Why would Harbaugh state firmly that "Alex WILL be the starter" while Alex isn't even signed to the team? Why would he state that anyway and perhaps lessen the effort level given by the others? Should Harbaugh then state that "Frank Gore WILL be our starter?"

Does he really need to?

What we are talking about is probabilities and intelligent deductive reasoning based on all reports and quotes coming out. That's all we as fans can do at this point. It would take a real "miracle" or injury for anyone but Alex to be starting. That's something you are gonna have to deal with at some point.

... but go ahead, cling to the hope because Jim didn't specifically say with guaranteed fact that "Alex will start".

Youre the only one desperately clinging to anything here. Probabilities and intelligent deductive reasoning lmfao. Thats insanity when the HC has said its a open competition. You dont care for that fun fact do ya? JH could have said I gave Smith the playbook and when he signs hes the 49ers starting QB. He didnt say that and he easily could. Harbaugh isnt hung up on a man crush like some. Hes going into TC with 3 QBs and the best 1 will start. Given Smiths past history of TCs and QB competitions the probabilities and deductive reasoning point to Smith losing the battle. Again.

Quote:

Quote:

Now, you were saying?

How is it a back pedal? If JH was so set on Smith starting he could and would have said so. Thats a fact you and others ignore. Which would totally kill any argument on whos the 49ers starting QB. You only assume Smith will start while having no facts that he will. Training camp is when the QB battle starts and its a OPEN competition thats a fact. Kap & Carr have just as much a chance to start as Smith thats a fact. What facts do you bring regarding Smith as our starter? Oh wait there are none just your assumptions, expectations and hope that its Alex.

no one knows who is gonna be the starter but it looks like smith

even harbaugh said

if i was a betting man i would bet on smith

Quote:

Quote:

Now, you were saying?

If JH wasn't planning on Smith being the starter would he have brought him in and given him the playbook and power point material so he could get the offense up to speed? He didn't give it to the rookie, or Carr for that matter, You can ignore the evidence if you like, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Assuming Smith will be the starter is nowhere near the reach that assuming Colin will win the job. Not only the circumstantial evidence points to Smith being the starter, common sense points to it. Go on believing what you want though, it doesn't bother me if it doesn't bother you.
Share 49ersWebzone