LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 223 users in the forums

What was a bigger problem last year?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What was a bigger problem last year?

Since all the Alex Smith fans like to play the "what if..." game, by projecting stats for full seasons and coming up with alternate out comes. What if there was never a lock out, would JH even give alex a second look? Or would we have just moved on?

The coaching was horrible this season, undoubtedly the bigger reason out of the two, but Alex isn't exactly a superstar qb just waiting to take the world by storm.

But we will see. I just want football already...
Originally posted by JustMike:
Since all the Alex Smith fans like to play the "what if..." game, by projecting stats for full seasons and coming up with alternate out comes. What if there was never a lock out, would JH even give alex a second look? Or would we have just moved on?

The coaching was horrible this season, undoubtedly the bigger reason out of the two, but Alex isn't exactly a superstar qb just waiting to take the world by storm.

But we will see. I just want football already...

Considering that our roster was bare of QBs... and considering the clear truth of Jim's assessment of Alex's game film... I think the decision would be entirely up to Alex. Jim would have the door open, and it would be up to Alex whether he felt he had a better opportunity during another team's offseason schedule. (
Post got cut off, but the last paragraph was something like:

The lockout made the decision easier for Alex. He didn't have the luxury to feel other team's out. That, and he seems to love living on the WC, and he seemed to genuinely buy into the offense that Jim was selling. He also didn't want to relocate with baby on the way, and he has the respect/chemistry with most of the players already there.
Well weather or not JH would have spent this much time trying to keep alex around, and no matter anyones feelings about Alex, this lockout couldn't have come at a better time for him.

It looks like its going to give him at least one more opportunity.
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by oldman9er:

Oh cmon, in what article JH is talking about Smith does he mention how well Alex plays? What hes said so far isnt a glowing endorsement of Smiths abilities on Sunday.

He never once said he plans to start Smith

Google takes just a minute. Saves you from the embarrassment of eating your words.

Quote:
New 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh is so sure Alex Smith will play for San Francisco this season, he gave the unsigned free agent a playbook during the NFL draft. Harbaugh even expects Smith to be his starting quarterback if and when the 2011 season swings around

http://sanfrancisco49ers.thefootballfanshop.info/san-francisco-49ers-rumors/harbaugh-expects-qb-alex-smith-to-start-if-he-returns/

Quote:
Harbaugh: ‘I like Alex … I like what I see on tape’

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2011/02/inside-the-49ers/harbaugh-on-knbr-i-like-alex/

Now, you were saying?

He expects Smith to start isnt the same as saying he will. As HC he could have said Smith "will" start not that he expects Smith to beat Carr and Kap to start. Him liking what he sees on tape isnt a glowing endorsement either. He easily could have gone into specifics on what he liked and why. You know on how Smith keeps his poise under pressure, accuracy, arm strength etc etc. All we got was tough dillo skin and how hes been treated. You also forgot to google paying 5 mill to start too. Where did that# come from? Seems youre assuming some things and might have made up another. Just sayin

Be careful that you don't trip backpedlling like that. This is the whole problem with you guys, you want to argue, but refuse to come to the debate prepared to back up your position with fact. Hyperbole won't get you anywhere on this site. too many that know what they are talking about, the oldman being just one of many.

How is it a back pedal? If JH was so set on Smith starting he could and would have said so. Thats a fact you and others ignore. Which would totally kill any argument on whos the 49ers starting QB. You only assume Smith will start while having no facts that he will. Training camp is when the QB battle starts and its a OPEN competition thats a fact. Kap & Carr have just as much a chance to start as Smith thats a fact. What facts do you bring regarding Smith as our starter? Oh wait there are none just your assumptions, expectations and hope that its Alex.

I think it's clear that Smith will be penciled in as starter but I think what Harbaugh means is that he's going to have no problem starting Kap or Carr if they are clearly the best option for the job.

It's not going to be a situation where if you're a team with Rodgers, Manning, Brees, Brady, or etc they're going to be your starting QB no questions asked as long as they are healthy.

Basically Smith has the clear advantage but if Kapernick sets the world on fire and gets a good grasp of the playbook than I can see him starting day 1.
  • Chico
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tn9er:
Originally posted by GORO:
Against Atlanta, New Orleans the Offense put the team in the lead, but the defense would not stop them on their final drive. Offensively we were predictable until Johnson became the OC, but he didnot have as much time to design plays as if he would have if he was in that position earlier.

And the 49ers started losing and Singleterry style just wore them out. Look at the last game of the year Tomsula coaches the team with enthusiasm and the team plays really good.

Tomsula freed them from the 70's era...

ditto! ditto!/well said!
Originally posted by Chico:
Originally posted by tn9er:
Originally posted by GORO:
Against Atlanta, New Orleans the Offense put the team in the lead, but the defense would not stop them on their final drive. Offensively we were predictable until Johnson became the OC, but he did not have as much time to design plays as if he would have if he was in that position earlier.

And the 49ers started losing and Singletary style just wore them out. Look at the last game of the year Tomsula coaches the team with enthusiasm and the team plays really good.

Tomsula freed them from the 70's era...

ditto! ditto!/well said!

Agreed, It was a 1970s offense of "lets impose our will" by running on an NFL opposition with equally skilled players that can defensively impose their will on you not to mention call your plays before you even break the huddle.
Originally posted by Jikkle49:

Oh cmon, in what article JH is talking about Smith does he mention how well Alex plays? What hes said so far isnt a glowing endorsement of Smiths abilities on Sunday.

Google takes just a minute. Saves you from the embarrassment of eating your words.

Quote:
New 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh is so sure Alex Smith will play for San Francisco this season, he gave the unsigned free agent a playbook during the NFL draft. Harbaugh even expects Smith to be his starting quarterback if and when the 2011 season swings around

http://sanfrancisco49ers.thefootballfanshop.info/san-francisco-49ers-rumors/harbaugh-expects-qb-alex-smith-to-start-if-he-returns/

Quote:

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2011/02/inside-the-49ers/harbaugh-on-knbr-i-like-alex/

Now, you were saying?

He expects Smith to start isnt the same as saying he will. As HC he could have said Smith "will" start not that he expects Smith to beat Carr and Kap to start. Him liking what he sees on tape isnt a glowing endorsement either. He easily could have gone into specifics on what he liked and why. You know on how Smith keeps his poise under pressure, accuracy, arm strength etc etc. All we got was tough dillo skin and how hes been treated. You also forgot to google paying 5 mill to start too. Where did that# come from? Seems youre assuming some things and might have made up another. Just sayin

Be careful that you don't trip backpedlling like that. This is the whole problem with you guys, you want to argue, but refuse to come to the debate prepared to back up your position with fact. Hyperbole won't get you anywhere on this site. too many that know what they are talking about, the oldman being just one of many.

How is it a back pedal? If JH was so set on Smith starting he could and would have said so. Thats a fact you and others ignore. Which would totally kill any argument on whos the 49ers starting QB. You only assume Smith will start while having no facts that he will. Training camp is when the QB battle starts and its a OPEN competition thats a fact. Kap & Carr have just as much a chance to start as Smith thats a fact. What facts do you bring regarding Smith as our starter? Oh wait there are none just your assumptions, expectations and hope that its Alex.

I think it's clear that Smith will be penciled in as starter but I think what Harbaugh means is that he's going to have no problem starting Kap or Carr if they are clearly the best option for the job.

It's not going to be a situation where if you're a team with Rodgers, Manning, Brees, Brady, or etc they're going to be your starting QB no questions asked as long as they are healthy.

Basically Smith has the clear advantage but if Kapernick sets the world on fire and gets a good grasp of the playbook than I can see him starting day 1.

Dont worry, Smith will have a break out year and 49ers will win more games than they lose
Originally posted by JayBee:
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Mistakes and un-disclipine, plain and simple. For example:

-D. Walker and Alex's bonehead missed t.d. against Seattle(game changer)
-Defense giving up last minute drive to N.O.
-Missed catches and turnovers(fumbled punt by Adams(game changer)) (D. Walker Fumble, Gore Fumble in the redzone)
-Coaching decisions. Going for it on 4th and Goal and getting stomped. I can think of 2 big T.d's we missed out on. Seattle and San Diego.
-Nate Clements int. fumble
-Missed block causing Alex to get sacked with lead
-Alex's fumble against Philly
-J. Smith getting thrown out for decking a ref

There's just so many more. I honestly believe if it wasn't for all the mistakes we could have been 8-8 easily.

I agree....

I'd say coaching
QB
Nate fumbling
Alex fumbling
Frank and Delanie fumbling
defense

Last year there was fail all around.

In addition:
What about penalties because Offensive Coordinator couldnt get the plays down to the field on time?
Poor clock management by coaching?
Originally posted by JayBee:
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
The abysmal coaching, of course.

When you can't even get the plays in on time... when you can't (or refuse to) make adjustments from what is not working... when opposing defenses are calling your offensive plays pre-snap... when your press CBs are constantly playing 7-10 yards off of receivers...

Yeah... I liked Nolan and Singletary at first, but my Lord, how disgraceful they were as HCs.

When you cannot get any pressure on the opposing QB and he has all day to pick your defense apart. When your defensive scheme is so predictable week in and week out that opposing QBs know exactly what area of the field to target on crucial downs.

I, too, liked Nolan and Singletary at first. Singletary moreso after he came in and began to get more out of the talent on the team--VD, Brooks, etc. But his lack of experience as a coach caught up to him.

For example, how could he think the team would improve by replacing not just one, but two starting OL with rookies--no matter how talented those rookies might be? That move spoke volumes about his inexperience as a HC, and his lack of understanding of the offensive side of the ball.

I am encouraged by the changes on the coaching staff. Now if we could just see them get to work.

BTW, how smart is Harbaugh to not only get a playbook to Smith, but "other teaching materials" as well for Smith to use at Camp Alex. Shows some ability to plan ahead, doesn't it?

If Sing would STFU and let the OC do his thing (Martz) 9ers would be playoff bound the last 2 years. When interviewing OC's...if Sing said (do whatever the eff you want) we'd probably have Linehan and be playoff bound.

Sing's stubbornness ruined him. I think he's a good motivator and it shows on the field....the team played hard. But, the O was pathetic and the D was putrid.

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
The problem has been fixed:

Mike Singletary - In way over his head, hes nothing but a interim HC no more. His 1980's style of run run run doesn't cut it in today's NFL.

This team regardless of what system we've been trying to run, lacks a killer instinct. Hopefully Harbaugh changes the mentality in San Francisco and runs some scores up and rubs teams faces in the dirt like he did in college.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
The problem has been fixed:

Mike Singletary - In way over his head, hes nothing but a interim HC no more. His 1980's style of run run run doesn't cut it in today's NFL.

This team regardless of what system we've been trying to run, lacks a killer instinct. Hopefully Harbaugh changes the mentality in San Francisco and runs some scores up and rubs teams faces in the dirt like he did in college.

Hope this is correct! Singletary and company were ill equipped to lead, but is the team much better under Harbaugh or in need of rebuilding? QB, WR, DB...

The OLine now has some fiery guys, Gore and VD are gamers, just need to find out if Smith and his receivers have the killer instinct. I think the one thing I heard from Harbaugh I liked best was for his players and coaches to have fun. The players can stop trying not to lose and be more aggressive.

And the very least I would expect is having fun watching this team!
The abysmal coaching, of course.

When you can't even get the plays in on time... when you can't (or refuse to) make adjustments from what is not working... when opposing defenses are calling your offensive plays pre-snap... when your press CBs are constantly playing 7-10 yards off of receivers...

Yeah... I liked Nolan and Singletary at first, but my Lord, how disgraceful they were as HCs.

This
  • dj43

Quote:

Quote:

Now, you were saying?

That is wishful thinking.

There is no way a team can win in this league with a QB starting from day one. Harbaugh knows that better than anyone here and that is, IMO, one of the main reasons he has made such a play to keep Alex here. He knows that Kap is not ever remotely close to being ready to play in this league as a rookie, especially now that he has missed so much time.

Coaching is even more important than most people assume. It makes or breaks even a good team. This team still has major holes to fill but if Harbaugh can bring some decent position coaches and good schemes to the table, this team could win 8 games, and that might be good enough to win in this weak division.
Originally posted by dj43:

Quote:

Quote:

Now, you were saying?

That is wishful thinking.

There is no way a team can win in this league with a QB starting from day one. Harbaugh knows that better than anyone here and that is, IMO, one of the main reasons he has made such a play to keep Alex here. He knows that Kap is not ever remotely close to being ready to play in this league as a rookie, especially now that he has missed so much time.

Coaching is even more important than most people assume. It makes or breaks even a good team. This team still has major holes to fill but if Harbaugh can bring some decent position coaches and good schemes to the table, this team could win 8 games, and that might be good enough to win in this weak division.

Yeah, just look at the Rams, they went from a 1-15 record two seasons ago to 7-9 last season, with the addition of great coaching....oh wait they Steve Spagnuolo was part of that 1-15 team, never-mind. Well, they certainly didn't get 7 wins with a rookie quarterback starting from day one...wait scratch that.

My point is that there are some qb's that can start from day one and have some success, because I have a hard time believing that the Rams have top tier coaching. So to say that there is no qbs that can start from day one and not get wins is far from the truth, since there are examples that prove the contrary.

I agree, though, that Alex was not one of these qb and Myer stated that from the get go. I just hope Harbaugh can undue six years of horrible coaching, since many believe that's the root of the problem.

[ Edited by Bay2Bay9erAllday on Jun 26, 2011 at 20:38:11 ]
Share 49ersWebzone