LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 258 users in the forums

Team Workouts Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Looks like Staley is now abandoning ship:

Quote:
@jstaley74 Joe Staley
Goin to workout in new jersey. U dislike going to check out new spots. Much rather be workin with our guys in San Jose. But gotta work

He and Justin Smith were the ones getting the already-small group of guys together. So now what??

Sad when the guys who are dedicated trying to get their teamates dedicated realize its a sunk cost and go work out without the team.

Does anyone know if A. Davis is in New Jersey? Staley may possibly be going to go help him out... or at least one can hope.
Originally posted by ads_2006:
crabtree is going to be our best wr

regardless if he works out with the team or not

dude held out till November and was still the leading WR. 2nd only to vernon overall on the team

last year he had career lows of receptions in games and had to deal with a changing cast of qbs, offensive coordinators and still was the leading WR and 2nd only to vernon overall on the team.

Wouldnt be surprised if crabtree shows up when Kapernick is the one throwing the ball.

He was the most targeted receiver by a large margin and yet came in at #2, and barely beat out Morgan for that spot.
Originally posted by 5280High:

dude held out till November and was still the leading WR. 2nd only to vernon overall on the team

last year he had career lows of receptions in games and had to deal with a changing cast of qbs, offensive coordinators and still was the leading WR and 2nd only to vernon overall on the team.

Wouldnt be surprised if crabtree shows up when Kapernick is the one throwing the ball.

He was the most targeted receiver by a large margin and yet came in at #2, and barely beat out Morgan for that spot.

Originally posted by sincalfaithful:

I was talking yards not catches btw.

VD - Targetted 93 times, made 56 catches for 914 yards
Crabs - Targetted 101 times, made 55 catches for 741 yards
Morgan - Targetted 80 times, made 44 catches for 698 yards.

But yeah, when your 1st rounder can barely contribute more than your 6th rounder... he just flat out needs to get better.

Quote:
@jstaley74 Joe Staley
Goin to workout in new jersey. U dislike going to check out new spots. Much rather be workin with our guys in San Jose. But gotta work

He and Justin Smith were the ones getting the already-small group of guys together. So now what??

Sad when the guys who are dedicated trying to get their teamates dedicated realize its a sunk cost and go work out without the team.

Does anyone know if A. Davis is in New Jersey? Staley may possibly be going to go help him out... or at least one can hope.

I don't know if A. Davis is in NJ at the moment but I DO know that he grew up in Piscataway and played for Rutgers.

Soooo, I'm assuming that he is in NJ right now and that Staley is working out with him at Rutgers.

I'm not too far from there... tempted to swing through the facilities and see if they're around.

But yeah, when your 1st rounder can barely contribute more than your 6th rounder... he just flat out needs to get better.

I won't disagree with you there
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by backontop:
It seems like every other team in the NFL is actually holding players organized work outs that have far better attendance than ours. I've heard that some have organized mini OTA's where the entire team showed up. WTF why can't our players be more committed to winning? Instead they are all off on their own doing their own thing. With a mentality like this we will never be winners.

[b]Sing brought in too many losers who talked really tough with him.

I honestly think Sing felt like he could motivate and inspire anyone. Maybe he could have, too bad his understanding of "x's and O's" went no further than hugs and kisses.

Yeah. He and Scotty mac kind of set this franchise back. Picks like Crabtree and Davis haven't worked out so far, and while I don't want to question the work ethic of these guys it sure seems like they arent exactly the most focused players. So we picked Crabtree and Davis and let guys like Brian Orakpo and Earl Thomas get away from us. If we had those 2 guys on our defense plus Willis, we might have a dominant defense. If we picked Bulaga(who grew up a 49ers fan I believe) over Davis we'd have a slightly less talented guy but we'd have someone who is way more technically sound and we'd have a guy who helped the Packers win a superbowl. Instead we wound up with a defense that's not good enough to make crucial stops and we have an offense that's talented but without discipline.

Sing and Mac pretty much took the exact OPPOSITE approach to the draft that Harbaugh and Baalke did. Harbaugh and Baalke put gold stars with players who seemed to love the game, although some of the players were still more raw IMO and could've been more ready to play. But it's an improvement over Sing/Mac strategy.

The only good first rounder these guys picked was Iupati who was a hard worker, talented guy, and technically sound. He came in and played well right away. Not too many picks from these guys have done anything good for us. Mike Iupati and Josh Morgan basically.

Co-signed...

are we calling anthony davis who was what 20 yrs old last yr playing a tough position as not working out already??? yes he struggled but there were times as the season went on he showed promise, not ready to say he hasnt worked out. now crabtree i agree, i think he has tons of potential especially now with the wco harbaugh is gonna install but his f**king laziness and bs i dont need to play in preseason and i can workout alone in dallas pisses me off. so far 2 seasons in to me hes a lazy ass who doesnt work hard to unleash his potential.

weeks before the draft they were showing the show where rookies 1st get in the nfl and then there was another 1 and it had crabtree doing his so on so workout in dallas and all that fool does is take it easy and joking round

There is no doubt Davis and Crabs have raw talent, but so do the OLBs, DE and CB they will be facing every week. Raw talent may get you to the NFL, but it wont keep you there.

In other words, there is no doubt in my mind Davis can do it if he wants to, the question is, does he want to? Same with Crabtree.

Cosigned.

We just flat out need to bring in some FA competition. Crabtree and Morgan are not keeping DCs up at night.

MC is by far the most gifted WR on our team, but there is no one to compete with him. As it stands, on this roster he is good enough to be the number one even if he skips all of preseason and only shows up on Sunday.

Steve Smith anyone?
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Jun 1, 2011 at 11:42 AM ]

We just flat out need to bring in some FA competition. Crabtree and Morgan are not keeping DCs up at night.

The only people Crabtree keeps up at night are his QBs and his position coach.

Quote:
@jstaley74 Joe Staley

I agree. I didn't want to read into this too much, but I think whatever the reasons for him to give up on his teammates is not good. I read it as if he would much rather be with his guys, but not enough willing to "work" to make it worth sticking around.

A. Davis really annoys me. I don't know where he is at, but I doubt he's putting any or much work in wherever that might be.

Quote:
@jstaley74 Joe Staley

Give me the address to the SJ spot and I'll be on-site ready to catch some footballs....

I wish I knew my man. I'd be out there being the best damn water boy those guys had ever seen!

Exactly. They have 2 slow wr's with 0 athleticism. Not to mention Ginn who is fast but can't catch and scared to run routes. Long term effects of run 1st/play good defense built team. Having no speed at WR and CB are major problems.

To make matters worse at least 5/6 wr's were drafted later than Crabtree are simply outplaying him. He needs to step it up.
Originally posted by lamontb:

Exactly. They have 2 slow wr's with 0 athleticism. Not to mention Ginn who is fast but can't catch and scared to run routes. Long term effects of run 1st/play good defense built team. Having no speed at WR and CB are major problems.

To make matters worse at least 5/6 wr's were drafted later than Crabtree are simply outplaying him. He needs to step it up.

Nicks and Maclin are the only ones that are realy playin better and most of what Maclin has done was due to a great offense. Crabtree doesnt have the heart to become a great WR or the skill set.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Veron Davis will always be our best receiver.
Originally posted by Chief:
Veron Davis will always be our best receiver.

Is that a good or bad thing?
Share 49ersWebzone