LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 310 users in the forums

we may still sign a veteran QB

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Nothing wrong at lots of competition at any position. I hope we are in the FA sweepstakes for no other reason than making it very expensive for Cards and even Seahawks to acquire one. And if we have someone else to toss in the mix ... gravy.
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
It absolutely baffles me how many people are anti-McNabb. Have you guys looked at his career stats? Or just blinded by last year?

I agree, he has a proven track record of being successful. I dont see why people write him off after one bad season, but then again it might be the same people that wrote off Warner when he was in New York or Vick after his first season in Philly. What if It was the fact that he was under a new system(havent we heard this one before) or Shannahan(dont know how to spell it) and Him didnt mesh well.
Theres no need unless he totally understands the new sytem
Smith is the veteran QB we will have. read that top article right now. smith is paying for the practice facility theyre using, he flew the rookie receiver back and forth from his home to practice and hes taking on a leadership role. add that to his eerie similarities to harbaughs nfl career thus far and the fact that harbaugh and smith seem to have a mutual agreement in place and Smith will be the starter on day one. i think Harbaugh is the perfect coach to finally cultivate smiths potential.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Smith is the veteran QB we will have. read that top article right now. smith is paying for the practice facility theyre using, he flew the rookie receiver back and forth from his home to practice and hes taking on a leadership role. add that to his eerie similarities to harbaughs nfl career thus far and the fact that harbaugh and smith seem to have a mutual agreement in place and Smith will be the starter on day one. i think Harbaugh is the perfect coach to finally cultivate smiths potential.

I'll be the one to add.... "smith seems to get better every year" which he has, so here is to a great season for smitty!!!
Originally posted by unst4bl3:

I'll be the one to add.... "smith seems to get better every year" which he has, so here is to a great season for smitty!!!

lol thanks and i hope were both right man cuz Harbaugh is the right man for the job
Originally posted by unst4bl3:

lol thanks and i hope were both right man cuz Harbaugh is the right man for the job
yeah I'm not too worried about harbaugh, i'm more worried about our Defensive coordinator..

Having a pressure, blitzing defense with our current secondary might lead to some really embarassing highlights on NFL network.
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
It absolutely baffles me how many people are anti-McNabb. Have you guys looked at his career stats? Or just blinded by last year?

I don't think people are blinded by last year, they're just putting last year in the context of McNabb's career. McNabb was a sometimes very good but never great QB in what is one of the QB friendliest systems in the NFL. He left that system and he stunk it up. He's also 35, his skills have declined, and he's always been a problem in the locker room. I think not being excited about McNabb is a combination of all those things. I'm not "anti-McNabb", I'm just trying to look at his career and where he's at in it with a degree of sobriety. He sometimes played quite well in a very good situation quite some time ago. That sums up my thoughts on him.
[ Edited by PopeyeJonesing on May 28, 2011 at 11:12 AM ]
Originally posted by 49erRider:

Why do people get all defensive when they think we may acquire another QB?

I don't think people get defensive, they just see the continued insistence on the idea as a little bit silly.

Harbaugh likes Smith, Smith is a FA in name only, he has our playbook, is running our off-season players program, and is 100% coming back. I think the "another FA QB" thing is just folks who haven't come to terms yet with the fact that Smith is coming back.

People want a one or two year stop gap veteran (e.g. Hasselbeck, Palmer, etc.) and dislike Smith so much that they're blinded to seeing that having BOTH Hasselbeck and Smith is pointless and redundant. Sadly enough, Smith also outperformed (or performed comparably to) guys like Palmer, Hasselbeck, and McNabb last year, and Hasselbeck, at 36 years old, is only getting worse. The same goes for McNabb at 35.

Instead of overspending to have redundancy in a stopgap, personally, I'd rather spend the money resigning some of the starters we need to resign (some combo of Franklin, Baas, Spikes, Goldson, Lawson, Clements) or on non-redundant FAs at positions of need (depending on who gets resigned, CB, NT, DE, C).
  • tsty
  • Veteran
I think it's a forgone conclusion,as evidenced by the fact that Harbaugh does'nt answer questions in regards to David Carr but if Josh Johnson is made availiable by the Bucaneers they'll cut Carr and sign Johnson.The reality of it will be we'll have three very mobile,servicable QB's on the team.

GO NINERS

best move for the 49ERS is Alex Smith like it or not
Kolb will be to expensive to get and we are not sure if it will work for as
Mcnabb is done and he wont come to be a backup
Hasselback to many injuries not worth it
Palmer it wont happen

CK is are Future
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SFan49ers:
Palmer it wont happen

CK is are Future

• Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fly15:
Originally posted by SFan49ers:
Palmer it wont happen

CK is are Future

It would be nice to get McNabb or Palmer for a couple of years. Otherwise, Alex is just as good as the rest of the field after the above mentioned names. I really, really doubt another veteran QB will be starting for the niners this year. This lockout really hurt the niners in that regard.
Sus, i think need for another 3rd qb will be determined by what JH sees in whoever we have on the roster already. If he thinks Carr just doesn't have it, or the other Smith, etc, then yes, I do think he gets an insurance Qb. But the longer the pampered pro foot ballers stamp their feet and try for more obscene dough, the more likely alex will be our qb this yr, barring injuries. For my money, that is the best scenario this yr, to have Kap on bench, taking notes, listening to JH, and getting pro ready. The teams that are going to take gas are the teams( 8 i believe) that took qbs in rds 1 and high in rd 2, most way, way before they should have been taken...are going to be the ones in dire straits this yr. Cam newton? He'll look great first game or two, and then the league will go into a Cam spy shift, and he will be meat. Same goes for other 5 or 6 rookie QBs who HAVE to start this yr. They are going to look like caca. Only the 9ers Kap will be in a good spot to learn. We are looking good.
Share 49ersWebzone