There are 116 users in the forums

we may still sign a veteran QB

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 190836:
Originally posted by susweel:
Don't rule out the idea of San Francisco attempting to acquire a veteran quarterback, even if Smith is re-signed. Making a move for Palmer or McNabb would probably instill immediate confidence in the current players. Having a legitimate competition for the starting job could also bring out the best in everyone -- especially Smith.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81fe4812/article/dont-knock-it-smith-back-in-san-fran-makes-sense-for-both

This would be the best thing for the team to do if we ever have cba in place. Bring in as much competition and let the best man win and if Alex wins the competition then more power to him.

Also its good to have a back up that can come and perform should Alex fail (and he probably will fail).

Yorks will never spend the money.

Not supported by the evidence.
Hasselbeck would be the best mentor for both smith and colin
God I hope this is true. I have NO confidence in Smith at all and I really don't want Kap to learn from him either. I have to admit, Jim's decision to bring Alex back has really shaken my confidence in him. Bringing in another Vet will go a long way to restore that lost confidence...
We will bring in another vet and an undrafted rookie

BOOK IT
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
better not be McChoke.

actually, bring him in. i want to see Alex beat him out the job and see some eat crow.
Originally posted by D_Niner:
God I hope this is true. I have NO confidence in Smith at all and I really don't want Kap to learn from him either. I have to admit, Jim's decision to bring Alex back has really shaken my confidence in him. Bringing in another Vet will go a long way to restore that lost confidence...

A bit of an overeaction don't ya think? Smith may not have the "it" factor, but he isn't a chump. Yes, the niners have been a pretty bad team but he is still in the league after 7 years, and would still be in the league as a backup if the niners had cut him 2 years ago.

Will it be like sitting behind a future HOF'er like Favre, Manning, or Brady... for CK, no. But I have never seen a single news article that has talked about Smith's lack of dedication, professionalism or work ethic towards the game of football.

Right now for CK we have the best situation for a rookie QB we've had in years. Smith will teach him how to be a pro (which he is more than qualified to do), and JH will teach him how to be successful as a QB rather then yelling "do better".

Smith wasn't our franchise QB and savior and fans hate him for it... but no one can knock his work ethic and professionalism. To do so would show that people don't even know what they are talking about. Come on now, Smith has personally taken it upon himself to get a playbook and start coaching up the offense and familiarizing them with the terminology and he doesn't even have a contract or any obligation to this team to do so, that is professionalism and a man who knows that even if he can't perform the job to a probowl/quality starter caliber, he will do whatever it takes to save face and do his best.

How many busts of #1 QB's can legitimately say they did everything they could to be successful but it just didn't happen for them. He could pout and toss previous coaching staffs under the bus and run and sit behind a questionable QB on another team waiting for his next opportunity, but he didn't he is staying in SF for the franchises sake and because as a MAN, he feels a sense of duty to continue to do his best for this team who drafted him and made him a millionaire.

Outside of an actual game, Smith is the perfect person to teach CK how to be a pro.

Inside of an actual game, JH will be the person to teach CK how to be successful.
  • dj43
The last thing this team needs is the drama that comes will all the McNabb baggage. The guy has nothing left.

Mike Brown isn't going to let Palmer play again. He has demonstrated his ego over rationality time and again. IF he did, it would cost a 2nd round pick, and Palmer isn't worth that.

Hasselback is not likely to leave Seattle but if he were, his injuries are much more problematic than Smith's.

I just don't see anybody out there that would be an improvement. All the experts are saying Alex Smith is the best FA QB available.
Originally posted by dj43:
The last thing this team needs is the drama that comes will all the McNabb baggage. The guy has nothing left.

Mike Brown isn't going to let Palmer play again. He has demonstrated his ego over rationality time and again. IF he did, it would cost a 2nd round pick, and Palmer isn't worth that.

Hasselback is not likely to leave Seattle but if he were, his injuries are much more problematic than Smith's.

I just don't see anybody out there that would be an improvement. All the experts are saying Alex Smith is the best FA QB available.

Agreed. Aside from Kolb, who's price tag will be absurd... there is no other QB that represents a significant improvement and future upside over Smith. Would I take McNabb over Carr as a backup... in a heartbeat. But as a starter... there is no one on the market that makes any real sense to pursue now that Smith has affirmed that he will be coming back. Now if one of these vets were to take the Dilfer route and be content with collecting backup QB checks... I'll take any of those "over the hill" vets over Carr due to game experience and actually having success in the league. As far as starting QB's are concerned, love it or hate it, Smith is our guy.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
I'd definitely be okay with Mcnabb for a year. Old or not, he's still accomplished a lot more in this league than Smith.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Hopper:
I'd definitely be okay with Mcnabb for a year. Old or not, he's still accomplished a lot more in this league than Smith.
True, but he has nothing left to offer. If a QB can't play for Mike Shanahan, an acknowledged QB expert, how can he offer any value in SF?

• dj43
Originally posted by 5280High:

Agreed. Aside from Kolb, who's price tag will be absurd... there is no other QB that represents a significant improvement and future upside over Smith. Would I take McNabb over Carr as a backup... in a heartbeat. But as a starter... there is no one on the market that makes any real sense to pursue now that Smith has affirmed that he will be coming back. Now if one of these vets were to take the Dilfer route and be content with collecting backup QB checks... I'll take any of those "over the hill" vets over Carr due to game experience and actually having success in the league. As far as starting QB's are concerned, love it or hate it, Smith is our guy.
Yep, if all we are looking for is someone better than Carr, there were a couple of kids out on the street last night that were hucking it around better than Carr.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hopper:
True, but he has nothing left to offer. If a QB can't play for Mike Shanahan, an acknowledged QB expert, how can he offer any value in SF?

Because we have a running game with Gore. The Skins had absolutely no running game and we're forced into a one dimensional passing team through the air.
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
Don't rule out the idea of San Francisco attempting to acquire a veteran quarterback, even if Smith is re-signed. Making a move for Palmer or McNabb would probably instill immediate confidence in the current players. Having a legitimate competition for the starting job could also bring out the best in everyone -- especially Smith.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81fe4812/article/dont-knock-it-smith-back-in-san-fran-makes-sense-for-both

This would be the best thing for the team to do if we ever have cba in place. Bring in as much competition and let the best man win and if Alex wins the competition then more power to him.

Also its good to have a back up that can come and perform should Alex fail (and he probably will fail).

Its right in front of you. You just have to look closely and you'll see it.
As long as we don't over pay I'm down.
Originally posted by English:

Its right in front of you. You just have to look closely and you'll see it.

They paid to retain Willis, VD, and in the begining paid Clements. They just don't overpay for a FA. You want them to pay whatever just to get someone even if he ends up messing up the cap (if there is one) and team chemistry?
Share 49ersWebzone