There are 235 users in the forums

content and excited about smith, the niners, and the playoffs

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
if we get a good CB in FA either joseph or namdi i think we can be a 9 or 10 win team

With Nnamdi Asomugha I agree we can win 9 or 10 games. We have a pass rusher. Throw in CB. Add Harbuagh's QB development and coaching with all QB's. And I can't possibly see how we could be worse. We have to go up with that.

Somehow...we.....always......are.....

[ Edited by Solace49 on May 1, 2011 at 17:16:26 ]
Originally posted by Solace49:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
if we get a good CB in FA either joseph or namdi i think we can be a 9 or 10 win team

With Nnamdi Asomugha I agree we can win 9 or 10 games. We have a pass rusher. Throw in CB. Add Harbuagh's QB development and coaching with all QB's. And I can't possibly see how we could be worse. We have to go up with that.

Somehow...we.....always......are.....

this time we have a competant HC
I am so not excited for the season. I wish the lockout would go on and on. The painful thought of another 5-11 season....where's my paper bag?
Originally posted by zillabeast:
I am so not excited for the season. I wish the lockout would go on and on. The painful thought of another 5-11 season....where's my paper bag?

you really think we will go 5-11?
I don't think it's necessary for the 49ers to get a shut down corner this year. Who was the shut down corner for the Packers? Yes they had C. Woodson, but he played more often in the nickel position. Their corners were a mix between veterans and signed rookie FA's. I read somewhere, "You can throw away from a top notch corner, but you can't stop a commanding pass rush." I believe our new system on defense will make as big a difference, if not bigger, than implementing the WCO this year.

I do believe our corners do need work. I would personally want to see Clements kept and moved to the nickel and then have Jonathan Joseph and Spencer as our CB's. Nnamdi would be nice, but the price tag will be too much.

And yes, this year I am as excited as I ever have. I think we'll get off to a slow start for the first few games but at the end of the year we're going to make a strong push. It will be interesting to watch.
Originally posted by Youngb:
I don't think it's necessary for the 49ers to get a shut down corner this year. Who was the shut down corner for the Packers? Yes they had C. Woodson, but he played more often in the nickel position. Their corners were a mix between veterans and signed rookie FA's. I read somewhere, "You can throw away from a top notch corner, but you can't stop a commanding pass rush." I believe our new system on defense will make as big a difference, if not bigger, than implementing the WCO this year.

I do believe our corners do need work. I would personally want to see Clements kept and moved to the nickel and then have Jonathan Joseph and Spencer as our CB's. Nnamdi would be nice, but the price tag will be too much.

And yes, this year I am as excited as I ever have. I think we'll get off to a slow start for the first few games but at the end of the year we're going to make a strong push. It will be interesting to watch.

That's what worries me the most. I don't want us to be outta the playoffs come week 10.
Originally posted by FreddyG:
Originally posted by zillabeast:

you really think we will go 5-11?

Look, I still have high hopes that Jimmy Jim is going to turn this into winning program...but he inherits a team that just does not know how to win. It's going to take a lot of time, and a lot of mentorship to fix that. I know that its the dues we pay on our way to (hopeful) future success, but yeah, I think this will be a very revealing year that separates the guys here to play and the pretenders amongst them.

I think it's wise for Harbaugh to keep as much talent as he can in the roster for further evaluation. After six years of the Nolan administration (Sing's years count) though, we'll see some serious housecleaning come Spring 2012.

That's what worries me the most. I don't want us to be outta the playoffs come week 10.

I know, but logically it's a possibility new schemes offensively and defensively. I'll be praying they start 5-0 though Basically it comes down to how effectively the team can execute the few plays that they learn. My guess is that 50 percent (at best) of the offensive playbook will be used in week 1. That will seriously limit what they can do. I know Roman will be up in the booth a few times and think, "crap, wish we could run this."

The defense I think will make an easier transition. Not based on anything, just opinion. Most of the guys have been playing together for a while and have had success in the past.

I know, but logically it's a possibility new schemes offensively and defensively. I'll be praying they start 5-0 though Basically it comes down to how effectively the team can execute the few plays that they learn. My guess is that 50 percent (at best) of the offensive playbook will be used in week 1. That will seriously limit what they can do. I know Roman will be up in the booth a few times and think, "crap, wish we could run this."

The defense I think will make an easier transition. Not based on anything, just opinion. Most of the guys have been playing together for a while and have had success in the past.

I think the defense will come around faster too. Im really just sick of starting out so s**ty. My heart cant take the stress..lol

I think the defense will come around faster too. Im really just sick of starting out so s**ty. My heart cant take the stress..lol

We started out good that one year where we lost to the vikings because of brett favres miracle play.. So we haven't started bad every season, last season just seemed so long though.

Originally posted by BobS:
Originally posted by fakers23:
Playoffs? Alex couldn't manage 4 wins last year and you think were going to the playoffs?

You have to understand the blind faith the zone has. Until the Harbaugh hire the York regime hasn't done anything to merit faith in them. Realistically over 75% of hot shot college coaches fail as head coaches in the NFL and that includes ones that played in the NFL. Considering it is year 7 of Alex Smith, we drafted a QB that won't be NFL ready for a while (Nevada does not face teams loaded with much NFL talent), and Harbaugh is a rookie NFL coach. (he has no NFL coaching experience on any level), I would expect 2012 to be the start of a work in progress. This team is probably going to start slow, and progressively get better. 8 wins will probably be the ceiling. Frank Gore isn't getting any younger, the running back position which has been one of the few bright spots under York rule is going to become an issue.

I'm deff not on the blind faith Harbaugh bandwagon. He could potentially be a giant bust in the NFL. In the last few months I've heard that he is a better pro QB evaluator and coach than Martz, Turner and McCarthy.

However, I like the guy and am hoping he can get it done. He can't be worse than Sing. I'm sure he'll be able to fix all the little things that Sing screwed up. That alone give sthem 2-3 extra wins.

My issue is at the QB position and the secondary.
Originally posted by unst4bl3:

We started out good that one year where we lost to the vikings because of brett favres miracle play.. So we haven't started bad every season, last season just seemed so long though.

9ers usually start pretty well...2-0...3-1...2-1...it's the middle of the season that kills em.
We have Harbaugh and his staff and not Singletary = big plus. We have new playbooks and no offseason = big minus. Otherwise, everything looks pretty much the same -- Alex (K will not have a significant impact this year); weak secondary; Aldon Smith added, A. Franklin leaves; Gore coming back from significant injury; Heitmann gone. If not for Harbaugh, who is not going to play QB, its pretty much same old, same old.
Originally posted by JayBee:
Originally posted by unst4bl3:

9ers usually start pretty well...2-0...3-1...2-1...it's the middle of the season that kills em.

Yeah also, in the past we've started against NFC west teams. This year they saved division games till the end which is why we started 0-5.

We got crushed in Sea in the only div game.
Originally posted by TheGoldenState:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
It's all apart of the master plan:

Alex Smith = Steve DeBerg
Colin Kaepernick = Joe Montana

No ddude Alex Smith will be Joe Montana
Kaepernick = Steve Young

thats not good cuz joe won 4x as many as steve. we are in for some serious trouble if thats the case.
Share 49ersWebzone