There are 151 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

content and excited about smith, the niners, and the playoffs

I feel a whole hell of a lot better about Niner's football this year than each of the last 8 or so seasons. It's probably still a year or two away from real damage in the playoffs, but considering our division and the talent on this team, it is conceivable that either Alex Smith or Colin Kaeperick or (*cough* *cough* *Josh Johnson*) can lead us to 8 or 9 wins and we smell the playoffs.

Baalke has got to put all his effort into signing Nmamdi Asumogha right away. Because FA could start any day (pending the appeal fails in Appeals court, likely) FA will start that day. The Niners have a unique opportunity to get in about 5 hrs of time before any other team could and significantly more for East Coast teams. This little geographical, time sensitive detail could be instrumental in us signing Asumogha.

Instructions for Baalke: Have really big deal in hand, Max deal in your back pocket, and a phone call for even bigger. His skills at erasing a side of the field would blend nicely with our front 7, also allowing Mays, R. Smith, D. Goldson, or whoever is starting back there. Spend the money. If you spend too much, then cut Nate, Brooks, and others' overpayed contracts.
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by Jamespowers:
This is basically the same team from last year. Yet, we have a huge upgrade in coaching, winning the NFC west is certainly possible.

Agree

Not that I totally disagree, but it's not like the other teams aren't trying to get better. Bradford will not be a rookie and now he has Josh McDaniels. JM might be a goof to work with, but the guy knows offense. And you can't forget about Seattle. Say what you will, but those guys always give us trouble, especially with Matt.H in the line up.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by Jamespowers:
This is basically the same team from last year. Yet, we have a huge upgrade in coaching, winning the NFC west is certainly possible.

Agree

Not that I totally disagree, but it's not like the other teams aren't trying to get better. Bradford will not be a rookie and now he has Josh McDaniels. JM might be a goof to work with, but the guy knows offense. And you can't forget about Seattle. Say what you will, but those guys always give us trouble, especially with Matt.H in the line up.

Originally posted by global_nomad:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by Jamespowers:
This is basically the same team from last year. Yet, we have a huge upgrade in coaching, winning the NFC west is certainly possible.

Agree

Not that I totally disagree, but it's not like the other teams aren't trying to get better. Bradford will not be a rookie and now he has Josh McDaniels. JM might be a goof to work with, but the guy knows offense. And you can't forget about Seattle. Say what you will, but those guys always give us trouble, especially with Matt.H in the line up.


"Look at them all running in....look at them all running in"

Awesome Coach!!!!

Originally posted by Slash49:
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by Jamespowers:
This is basically the same team from last year. Yet, we have a huge upgrade in coaching, winning the NFC west is certainly possible.

Agree

Not that I totally disagree, but it's not like the other teams aren't trying to get better. Bradford will not be a rookie and now he has Josh McDaniels. JM might be a goof to work with, but the guy knows offense. And you can't forget about Seattle. Say what you will, but those guys always give us trouble, especially with Matt.H in the line up.


"Look at them all running in....look at them all running in"

Awesome Coach!!!!


rams and seattle have not upgraded their rosters much either through the draft. the NFC west winner is prolly going 8-8 at best. Even with free agency and trades opening up

[ Edited by Jamespowers on May 1, 2011 at 15:49:08 ]
  • BobS
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 7,580
Originally posted by fakers23:
Playoffs? Alex couldn't manage 4 wins last year and you think were going to the playoffs?

You have to understand the blind faith the zone has. Until the Harbaugh hire the York regime hasn't done anything to merit faith in them. Realistically over 75% of hot shot college coaches fail as head coaches in the NFL and that includes ones that played in the NFL. Considering it is year 7 of Alex Smith, we drafted a QB that won't be NFL ready for a while (Nevada does not face teams loaded with much NFL talent), and Harbaugh is a rookie NFL coach. (he has no NFL coaching experience on any level), I would expect 2012 to be the start of a work in progress. This team is probably going to start slow, and progressively get better. 8 wins will probably be the ceiling. Frank Gore isn't getting any younger, the running back position which has been one of the few bright spots under York rule is going to become an issue.
Originally posted by BobS:
Originally posted by fakers23:
Playoffs? Alex couldn't manage 4 wins last year and you think were going to the playoffs?

You have to understand the blind faith the zone has. Until the Harbaugh hire the York regime hasn't done anything to merit faith in them. Realistically over 75% of hot shot college coaches fail as head coaches in the NFL and that includes ones that played in the NFL. Considering it is year 7 of Alex Smith, we drafted a QB that won't be NFL ready for a while (Nevada does not face teams loaded with much NFL talent), and Harbaugh is a rookie NFL coach. (he has no NFL coaching experience on any level), I would expect 2012 to be the start of a work in progress. This team is probably going to start slow, and progressively get better. 8 wins will probably be the ceiling. Frank Gore isn't getting any younger, the running back position which has been one of the few bright spots under York rule is going to become an issue.

wasnt he gannons qb coach when he was mvp?
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by BobS:
Originally posted by fakers23:
Playoffs? Alex couldn't manage 4 wins last year and you think were going to the playoffs?

You have to understand the blind faith the zone has. Until the Harbaugh hire the York regime hasn't done anything to merit faith in them. Realistically over 75% of hot shot college coaches fail as head coaches in the NFL and that includes ones that played in the NFL. Considering it is year 7 of Alex Smith, we drafted a QB that won't be NFL ready for a while (Nevada does not face teams loaded with much NFL talent), and Harbaugh is a rookie NFL coach. (he has no NFL coaching experience on any level), I would expect 2012 to be the start of a work in progress. This team is probably going to start slow, and progressively get better. 8 wins will probably be the ceiling. Frank Gore isn't getting any younger, the running back position which has been one of the few bright spots under York rule is going to become an issue.

wasnt he gannons qb coach when he was mvp?
yuppers
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
It's all apart of the master plan:

Alex Smith = Steve DeBerg
Colin Kaepernick = Joe Montana

On paper we are a better team IMO. Both with draft picks and the new coaching staff. If we can get good QB play this team could go from 6 - 10 to 9 - 7 and a wild card birth. Or even win the division. It's a weak division. We do need a shut down CB. Hopefully we get the guy from across the Bay in FA. We now have a pass rusher, a speed back, better coaching and way better QB mentoring. We should be better.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
On paper we are a better team IMO. Both with draft picks and the new coaching staff. If we can get good QB play this team could go from 6 - 10 to 9 - 7 and a wild card birth. Or even win the division. It's a weak division. We do need a shut down CB. Hopefully we get the guy from across the Bay in FA. We now have a pass rusher, a speed back, better coaching and way better QB mentoring. We should be better.

I agree but i still believe this year we might not be good, i think everyone needs to chill if we don't do well this year, next year is when i think we finally arrive, hope i'm wrong about this year though, maybe Kap learns very quick and starts early and does well.
if we get a good CB in FA either joseph or namdi i think we can be a 9 or 10 win team
Would love to see SF draft someone that can make an immediate impact on this team! I'm tired of seeing them draft on potential: Anthony Davis ('10), Taylor Mays ('10), Aldon Smith, etc. Half of the guys drafted this year appear on their way to being converted to positions they did not play last year.
Originally posted by Slash49:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
On paper we are a better team IMO. Both with draft picks and the new coaching staff. If we can get good QB play this team could go from 6 - 10 to 9 - 7 and a wild card birth. Or even win the division. It's a weak division. We do need a shut down CB. Hopefully we get the guy from across the Bay in FA. We now have a pass rusher, a speed back, better coaching and way better QB mentoring. We should be better.

I agree but i still believe this year we might not be good, i think everyone needs to chill if we don't do well this year, next year is when i think we finally arrive, hope i'm wrong about this year though, maybe Kap learns very quick and starts early and does well.

I agree 2012 or 2013 is the real move up. We are still rubuilding a bit. New staff, new playbook, new draft picks, and uncertainty at QB and CB.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
if we get a good CB in FA either joseph or namdi i think we can be a 9 or 10 win team

With Nnamdi Asomugha I agree we can win 9 or 10 games. We have a pass rusher. Throw in CB. Add Harbuagh's QB development and coaching with all QB's. And I can't possibly see how we could be worse. We have to go up with that.