LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 279 users in the forums

Colin Kaepernick’s Throwing Style

Shop Find 49ers gear online

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/05/08/SP7Q1JDJ4O.DTL

What a great kid. Cant wait(Bart Scott voice)
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by strickac:
Originally posted by Chief:
Beast!

Let him sit a year and Alex Smith start, let him loose next year or the year after.

Two years sitting would be ideal, IMO. I hope we can sign Alex for 2 years to give Colin time to develop.

I'd be OK with that, but Alex is always getting injured. What if he goes down for 3-4 weeks? Do we throw Kaepernick in there?

his injuries were usually do to o line i wouldnt say he is injury prone our o line is extremelly strong now with rachal gon staley and iuati is a beast we have to decide between to good centers in heitmann and baas only ? is davis who should be better with a year under his belt and not having rachal next to him

I wasn't looking for an excuse as to why Alex gets hurt a lot, but there it is anyway.

Let me just say that Aaron Rodgers gets hit a lot, yet he doesn't miss much time due to injury. Same with Ben Roethlisberger, Matt Schaub, Brett Favre and many other QBs. I'm not saying Alex isn't tough, but he isn't an iron man. The excuses for the injuries are irrelevant to the question I presented.

The fact is he gets hit and often gets injured, so what do we do if he goes down and we don't want to throw Kaepernick in there so soon? Do we go with Carr or go ahead and put CK in before we wanted to?

All those qbs you named have missed time this past year. Schaub? he is known as the softest qb in the NFL so you missed on that one. Big Ben is a tank, he got hit by a car on a motorcycle and didnt miss much time. Rodgers missed two games with concussions. So if your going to make a point be somewhat accurate with it.
Originally posted by allday:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by strickac:
Originally posted by Chief:
Beast!

Let him sit a year and Alex Smith start, let him loose next year or the year after.

Two years sitting would be ideal, IMO. I hope we can sign Alex for 2 years to give Colin time to develop.

I'd be OK with that, but Alex is always getting injured. What if he goes down for 3-4 weeks? Do we throw Kaepernick in there?

his injuries were usually do to o line i wouldnt say he is injury prone our o line is extremelly strong now with rachal gon staley and iuati is a beast we have to decide between to good centers in heitmann and baas only ? is davis who should be better with a year under his belt and not having rachal next to him

I wasn't looking for an excuse as to why Alex gets hurt a lot, but there it is anyway.

Let me just say that Aaron Rodgers gets hit a lot, yet he doesn't miss much time due to injury. Same with Ben Roethlisberger, Matt Schaub, Brett Favre and many other QBs. I'm not saying Alex isn't tough, but he isn't an iron man. The excuses for the injuries are irrelevant to the question I presented.

The fact is he gets hit and often gets injured, so what do we do if he goes down and we don't want to throw Kaepernick in there so soon? Do we go with Carr or go ahead and put CK in before we wanted to?

All those qbs you named have missed time this past year. Schaub? he is known as the softest qb in the NFL so you missed on that one. Big Ben is a tank, he got hit by a car on a motorcycle and didnt miss much time. Rodgers missed two games with concussions. So if your going to make a point be somewhat accurate with it.

The only thing that hurts big ben is drinking with women in bars that are fans! Then he misses a few games!
That throwing style has a 95+ mph fastball.......as long as it gets there as fast as possible I dont care how it comes out......
Originally posted by TlSSER:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Originally posted by susweel:
what ethnicity is Kaepernick ???

Italian and black

he is also adopted. And yes some mixture of Italian, Black, White, etc..... Not sure exactly.

Personal

Kaepernick was born in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. He is the youngest of Rick and Teresa Kaepernick’s three children (brother, Kyle, and a sister, Devon).[1][2] An adopted child, Kaepernick is of mixed European and African descent.[1] He lived in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin until age four and attended grade school at Turlock, California. He is also a member of Kappa Alpha Psi fraternity.

Kaepernick, who graduated in December 2010 with a bachelors degree in business management, is known to have high character and a relatively unassuming personality off the field, as evidenced by an incident that took place during the summer of 2010 interning at a University of Nevada-themed sports apparel shop in Reno. One woman came in and, completely unaware she was speaking to Kaepernick, asked him to find his jersey. A manager at the store would later recall, "Colin said, ‘I’m pretty sure it’s No. 10, and it’s right over here.’ He rang up her purchase and everything."[1]
[edit] Childhood

The young Kaepernick adjusted easily as a dark-skinned member in a white family, using different colors of crayons for himself and the rest of his family on drawing family portraits, and laughing off some classmates who did not believe that he had white parents.[1] He started youth football at the age of eight years old in Turlock, and played sparingly as a defensive end and punter. He then became his youth team's starting quarterback at age nine. He completed his first competitive pass for a long touchdown. He went on to win several punt, pass, and kick competitions mainly on his passing ability, and he often threw passes over the heads of contest officials. It was then his passion for football began.[1]

Kappa Alpha Psi?

Cut him.

Jk.

Hey throwing motion shmowing potion...ask Bernie Kosar.
how can anyone not love this guy? hes a freak athlete, awesome qb who gets results and seems like a really good dude off the field. check out that article ostler (i think) wrote about him. the guy is a saint, no hookers and theft, drug use and other bulls**t from this guy. i think we nailed it with this pick. his throwing motion is fine, he gets that ball out real quick so im not worried about it.
Originally posted by 80849er4life:
That throwing style has a 95+ mph fastball.......as long as it gets there as fast as possible I dont care how it comes out......

Think Bill Walsh would say differently. Did Montana or Young need a 95 mph fastball?

Its not about how big of arm someone has. There are tons of guys in the league that can throw it far. Its about accuracy and efficiency. I like a lot of what Kaep does but he has a bit of a windup delivery. He telegraphs throws and DBs can get a beat on it a split second earlier. As well his footwork and release point was inconsistent throughout his career. All things he can improve on, but I think people are starting to value the wrong characteristics in a QB. There are tons of guys who can throw the ball a mile... few of them can cut it as an NFL QB.
Originally posted by Druckenmiller14:

Think Bill Walsh would say differently. Did Montana or Young need a 95 mph fastball?

Its not about how big of arm someone has. There are tons of guys in the league that can throw it far. Its about accuracy and efficiency. I like a lot of what Kaep does but he has a bit of a windup delivery. He telegraphs throws and DBs can get a beat on it a split second earlier. As well his footwork and release point was inconsistent throughout his career. All things he can improve on, but I think people are starting to value the wrong characteristics in a QB. There are tons of guys who can throw the ball a mile... few of them can cut it as an NFL QB.

I dont care how far he can throw it I want the ball to get to the WR ASAP........most of our drops,ints, were because the Smith's threw ducks with no heat on it......

I dont care how far he can throw it I want the ball to get to the WR ASAP........most of our drops,ints, were because the Smith's threw ducks with no heat on it......

Thats fine, but how many WRs can catch a 95 mph fastball? If someone just throws hard, with no touch, you're not giving your WRs much of a chance. I just think people are valuing the wrong characteristics. I don't care how hard you can throw it, if its not thrown accurately and efficently, you won't consistently complete passes.

I believe Walsh said Montana threw a very "catchable" ball. After hearing that Montana chuckled and said that was because he couldn't throw the ball very hard.

Thats fine, but how many WRs can catch a 95 mph fastball? If someone just throws hard, with no touch, you're not giving your WRs much of a chance. I just think people are valuing the wrong characteristics. I don't care how hard you can throw it, if its not thrown accurately and efficently, you won't consistently complete passes.

I believe Walsh said Montana threw a very "catchable" ball. After hearing that Montana chuckled and said that was because he couldn't throw the ball very hard.

Well we just have to wait and see, cause it worked for Farve, so lets see if it works for Kaep in 2012.(give the kid the ball,let him have some fun.

The football travels at a much slower rate, around 64 mph. 95mph is for a baseball. NFL WR's have no trouble catching a 64 mph football, but sometimes, they don't open their hands all the way and that smarts.
Another clip showed Kaepernick's ability to ad lib and adjust. Indeed, one of his nicknames at Nevada was "The Transformer." Against Cal - sorry, Bears fans - he rolls to his left, dodges a pass rusher, and throws a dart 25 yards down field to a receiver on the left sideline. Baalke said that Kaepernick's running ability would put pressure on defenses and that his ability to scramble - and throw - to both sides of the field would compound the threat. Kaepernick's throwing coach, Roger Theder, has told me that Kaepernick throws on the run to his left as well as any right-handed quarterback he has seen.

Read more: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2011/05/baalke-reviews.html#ixzz1MBOaiWcD

someone should photoshop Kaepernick as The Transformer.
Originally posted by Joecool:

The football travels at a much slower rate, around 64 mph. 95mph is for a baseball. NFL WR's have no trouble catching a 64 mph football, but sometimes, they don't open their hands all the way and that smarts.

lol I know. I was just taking the analogy someone was using that said he threw a 95 mph fastball. The NFL isn't about how hard you can throw the ball. Just ask Joe Montana, Tom Brady and Steve Young. Jim Druckenmiller and Jeff George could both throw the ball through a brick wall also... where'd that get them?
Tom Brady throws the ball hard as hell, so i have no clue what you are talking about. Its all about being able to change speeds, use touch when you have to and break out the cannon when you need to. If arm strength was no issue than Ken Dorsey and Chad Pennington would be all-pros because they are great at everything but throwing the ball. If you cant do that you have no shot.

But being able to do that is worthless without being able to do the other things also, understand?

Just like baseball i dont care if you can throw it 100, if you dont have a changeup you are nothing but lunch meat

But you are going to struggle mightily without the heater.
[ Edited by allday on May 14, 2011 at 11:35 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone