Colin Kaepernick’s Throwing Style

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Druckenmiller14:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by 80849er4life:
That throwing style has a 95+ mph fastball.......as long as it gets there as fast as possible I dont care how it comes out......

Think Bill Walsh would say differently. Did Montana or Young need a 95 mph fastball?

Its not about how big of arm someone has. There are tons of guys in the league that can throw it far. Its about accuracy and efficiency. I like a lot of what Kaep does but he has a bit of a windup delivery. He telegraphs throws and DBs can get a beat on it a split second earlier. As well his footwork and release point was inconsistent throughout his career. All things he can improve on, but I think people are starting to value the wrong characteristics in a QB. There are tons of guys who can throw the ball a mile... few of them can cut it as an NFL QB.

I dont care how far he can throw it I want the ball to get to the WR ASAP........most of our drops,ints, were because the Smith's threw ducks with no heat on it......

Thats fine, but how many WRs can catch a 95 mph fastball? If someone just throws hard, with no touch, you're not giving your WRs much of a chance. I just think people are valuing the wrong characteristics. I don't care how hard you can throw it, if its not thrown accurately and efficently, you won't consistently complete passes.

I believe Walsh said Montana threw a very "catchable" ball. After hearing that Montana chuckled and said that was because he couldn't throw the ball very hard.

The football travels at a much slower rate, around 64 mph. 95mph is for a baseball. NFL WR's have no trouble catching a 64 mph football, but sometimes, they don't open their hands all the way and that smarts.

lol I know. I was just taking the analogy someone was using that said he threw a 95 mph fastball. The NFL isn't about how hard you can throw the ball. Just ask Joe Montana, Tom Brady and Steve Young. Jim Druckenmiller and Jeff George could both throw the ball through a brick wall also... where'd that get them?

Hang on. Even Jerry Rice complained about the zip Steve Young put on the ball, at least until he got used to it. Check it out. Steve threw the ball pretty hard. As did a number of other successful qb's. Selecting Druck and George is somewhat meh. You can pull up names of failures to support any argument.
Originally posted by English:
That throwing style has a 95+ mph fastball.......as long as it gets there as fast as possible I dont care how it comes out......

Think Bill Walsh would say differently. Did Montana or Young need a 95 mph fastball?

Its not about how big of arm someone has. There are tons of guys in the league that can throw it far. Its about accuracy and efficiency. I like a lot of what Kaep does but he has a bit of a windup delivery. He telegraphs throws and DBs can get a beat on it a split second earlier. As well his footwork and release point was inconsistent throughout his career. All things he can improve on, but I think people are starting to value the wrong characteristics in a QB. There are tons of guys who can throw the ball a mile... few of them can cut it as an NFL QB.

I dont care how far he can throw it I want the ball to get to the WR ASAP........most of our drops,ints, were because the Smith's threw ducks with no heat on it......

Thats fine, but how many WRs can catch a 95 mph fastball? If someone just throws hard, with no touch, you're not giving your WRs much of a chance. I just think people are valuing the wrong characteristics. I don't care how hard you can throw it, if its not thrown accurately and efficently, you won't consistently complete passes.

I believe Walsh said Montana threw a very "catchable" ball. After hearing that Montana chuckled and said that was because he couldn't throw the ball very hard.

The football travels at a much slower rate, around 64 mph. 95mph is for a baseball. NFL WR's have no trouble catching a 64 mph football, but sometimes, they don't open their hands all the way and that smarts.

lol I know. I was just taking the analogy someone was using that said he threw a 95 mph fastball. The NFL isn't about how hard you can throw the ball. Just ask Joe Montana, Tom Brady and Steve Young. Jim Druckenmiller and Jeff George could both throw the ball through a brick wall also... where'd that get them?

Hang on. Even Jerry Rice complained about the zip Steve Young put on the ball, at least until he got used to it. Check it out. Steve threw the ball pretty hard. As did a number of other successful qb's. Selecting Druck and George is somewhat meh. You can pull up names of failures to support any argument.

Living just south of Green Bay you had at least 1 story a season about how Favre was either breaking or dislocating receivers fingers in training camp with how hard he threw the ball. Favre reasoning was if they can catch the ball consistently when he put that kind of mustard on it, they will have no problems at all during a game when it's rarely thrown that hard.
Originally posted by WINiner:

Living just south of Green Bay you had at least 1 story a season about how Favre was either breaking or dislocating receivers fingers in training camp with how hard he threw the ball. Favre reasoning was if they can catch the ball consistently when he put that kind of mustard on it, they will have no problems at all during a game when it's rarely thrown that hard.

LOL who said Kap can throw a football around 65mph. I remember hearing about Favre busting his WRs hands up too. I hope Kap gives Crabtree a Tory Holt finger maybe then he might wanna practice.
is Tim Tebowish...his running style is similar but hes not near as smart
Originally posted by DaBallhawk21:

Who's not nearly as smart, Tebow or Kaepernick?

Kaepernick's Wonderlic: 37

Tebow's Wonderlic: 22

I know the Wonderlic isn't everything, but that is a pretty big difference. If you meant Tebow isn't nearly as smart, well then you're probably right.

lol
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
The funky release doesn't seem to be a problem for Phillip Rivers either

Yep and if we are going to trust Harbaugh working with a certain QB who has 6 years of hitching, patting the football before every throw, bad footwork, eyes that don't move through reads and doesn't make split decisions then we should feel confident he can work with Kaep's throwing style.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Kap kind of looks like he pushes the ball, ala David Carr. Just saying.
  • dwett
  • Veteran
Originally posted by FreddyG:
Originally posted by WINiner:

LOL who said Kap can throw a football around 65mph. I remember hearing about Favre busting his WRs hands up too. I hope Kap gives Crabtree a Tory Holt finger maybe then he might wanna practice.

Well 65 is high but he did throw 59, which was higher than Mallet by 1 MPH. Still pretty good though.

This was posted by the Bengals

Link
I've seen this throwing motion before:

First was my HS backup QB, who was also our star Pitcher in baseball.

Then ... John Elway (THE STANFORD COLLEGE player not Elway in the NFL.. his motion was apparently changed some) in the late '70s.

Then Kaepernick... common thread??? Baseball.

After watching nearly all his games (season ticket holder during all 4 years while he was at Nevada)... I don't quite get much of some of the takes here .... from watching a couple minute clips?

Cunningham and Kaepernick. Both shunned by Pac 10 and Quarterbacked in the only schools giving them a scholorship (UNLV for Randall). Cunningham wanted to play QB ... Pac 10 wanted him to be a RB like older brother Sam the Bam Cunningham. Kap didn't get an offer since all knew he wouldn't play football (94 mph spells MLB) and they both have wing-spans like hang gliders. They both got pretty good wheels. I don't see similar throwing motions.
[ Edited by OldJoe on May 20, 2011 at 12:57 AM ]

Originally posted by natrone06:
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
His motion is probably the reason he can sling it 60 yards on a line. I'll take the extra %2 chance it gets stripped from behind

please show me where he does that

Not trying to pile on but......

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/27/colin-kaepernick-may-be-making-cutler-like-climb/

According to FOX Sports’ Adam Caplan, Kaepernick was “great” on Monday and “by far” the best quarterback in practice on Wednesday. CBS’ Rob Rang noted Kaepernick’s “spectacular” arm strength. Rotoworld’s Michael Schottey observed that Kaepernick “threw the ball as well as anyone,” generating “buzz from team scouts.”

Of course, NFL Network’s Mike Mayock already knew about Kaepernick’s “huge” arm. At the 2010 Manning Quarterback camp, Mayock recalled seeing Eli and Peyton so awed they were “giggling” about the 23-year-old’s howitzer. Said Mayock after watching one of Kaepernick’s Thursday throws, “Did you see the RPMs there? Man, I’d love to work with that kid.”

Ive heard all of that but a 60 yard rope isnt possible

one word for you buddy.....

Jamarcus "Sizurp" Russell!

..ok 3 words

he could a 60 yard rope while in the prone position,, hahaha

I call big fat BS on that one.
Having a receiver never being "out of the play" is a huge upside with CK. Similar with Cutler in Denver and Big Ben, Safeties won't be able to look at a yard marker and think "Ok I can stop here if the receiver keeps running, the QB has no chance of getting it to him."

The first time a safety does that and CK hits a 65+ bomb to a receiver in stride the league will be put on notice. Being in Denver when Cutler first started, defenses knew he had a good arm but never respected it... then Cutler hit a receiver 65 yards down the field in the air for a TD and almost immediately defenses changed plans. With big armed QBs, receivers are no longer running themselves out of the play after 4 seconds, and safeties have to adjust to it allowing offenses to open up.

BW and the WCO may not have needed a rocket armed QB... but it doesn't hurt to be able to add that dimension to an offense.
[ Edited by 5280High on May 23, 2011 at 11:16 AM ]
Originally posted by TlSSER:

90% Accuracy isn't too bad.

Colin is a BOSS.

sleeves are for pu##sies! hahaha
Originally posted by mayo49:
Kap kind of looks like he pushes the ball, ala David Carr. Just saying.

that is the worst comparison by far. they arent anything alike, but good try though.
Share 49ersWebzone