49ers Likely Won't Try To Re-Sign LB Manny Lawson

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by mike9er:
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
See Ya Manny " I Cant get to the QB" Lawson

you wont be missed around here........

You my friend, are in the minority.

Like i care what u gotta say
Manny has been one of the reasons why our run D has been so stout. He's great at shutting down his side of the field, and dropping in coverage. Has he become the pass rush we wanted? No, but it would be foolish to say he doesn't bring something of value. If we can keep him on the team and playing the strong side then i think Aldon can feast on the weak side. However if he is looking for top dollar than he can kick rocks.
NO how about we resign manny and release harlson
Keep aldon as a D end release david carr resign troy smith
Resign TKO
so it would be patrick tko manny and bowman as LB
start dashon and taylor
Manny's a good OLB but his biggest weakness (pass rushing) is the most important trait for 34 OLB.

When this lockout is over, the rules will revert back to 2010 so Manny will be a restricted FA. If Alex can come back for 1 more year, then why can't Manny, considering that Manny is better at playing 3-4 OLB, than Alex is at playing QB.

Plus, I like Manny better than Haralson and Brooks.
My dream scenario would be Manny moving to Weak side OLB which was his natural side and he also would be playing behind a Pro Bowl DE Justin Smith. I've only Seen him line up as a weak side backer a handfull of times against the Cowboys and he got 2 sacks I believe. Then have Aldon Smith on the Strong side OLB
Originally posted by mug0mug:
Yea, I agree with many posters when saying that I don't think Manny Lawson is the first guy who's job Aldon Smith threatens.

Lawson is certainly not so bad that you'd just cut him. It's a matter of how much he is worth contractually.

Lawson hasn't been able to get the pass-rush going we'd hoped for, but he's the best OLB we have at everything else. Aldon's perceived weakness's lie in standing up and covering etc, and Lawson is the only OLB who has that as a strength.

I'm not even sure who I want to get rid of at OLB...(and many of you thought Miller had a shot at making the roster at OLB)

How many OLB's did we have on the active roster last year?

This

Lawson's leverage and technique setting the edge and ability to move in space are great skills for the OLB position, and skills that a fresh, raw, pass-rusher could learn from.

LOLB: Lawson, LaBoy, Gibson
ILB: Willis, Takeo, Bowman, Mckillop
ROLB: Haralson, Smith, Tukuafu

I just went down the line with each LB:

Lawson - Rushing the passer - Below Average, Setting the edge - Good/Great, Dropping into coverage - Good

Haralson - Rushing the passer - Average, Setting the edge - Below Average , Dropping into coverage - Average

Brooks - Rushing the passer - Above Average, Setting the edge - Average , Dropping into coverage - Below Average

LaBoy - Rushing the passer - Good , Setting the edge - Below Average , Dropping into coverage - Below Average

If Fangio and Baalke favor rushing the passer as a trait, than LaBoy stays as 3rd down rush. Lawson's skills in the other categories proves he's a good 1st and 2nd down LB, and he wont get exposed in any situation. It comes down to Brooks and Haralson for the last spot. I think Aldon Smith resembles Brooks way more than Haralson, making Brooks more expendable.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

This

why on earth would you be so willing to see Manny go? What better options do we have behind Manny Lawson and Aldon Smith?? Unless there is some beast of an OLB on the free agent market you have your eye on. Unfortunately the business side of things will probably keep us from extending Lawson but otherwise Lawson would have a chance for a fresh start under Vic Fangio's new aggressive and diverse scheme.

If we signed Lawson I would not be surprised if he had career sack numbers this year. I understand why you would be frustrated with Lawson's lack of production thus far but keep in mind that all the intangibles are there for Manny to have success in the NFL. It cant hurt to give it one more try.
specualtion. speculation. speculation
Originally posted by susweel:

This

i'm down with yall I would take him over Haralson.

Has anybody ever people say Clay Matthews, Lamar Woodley, James Harrison, Shaun Phillips, Tamba Ali, or Orakpo are good in coverage? Nope b/c they doing their jobs and sacking the quarterback. Folks haven't seen a real sack artists in so long that, we are happy that a guy is good in coverage when we don't need him in coverage. We need him to sack the quarterback, and play the run.

Originally posted by goodthings19:

why on earth would you be so willing to see Manny go? What better options do we have behind Manny Lawson and Aldon Smith?? Unless there is some beast of an OLB on the free agent market you have your eye on. Unfortunately the business side of things will probably keep us from extending Lawson but otherwise Lawson would have a chance for a fresh start under Vic Fangio's new aggressive and diverse scheme.

If we signed Lawson I would not be surprised if he had career sack numbers this year. I understand why you would be frustrated with Lawson's lack of production thus far but keep in mind that all the intangibles are there for Manny to have success in the NFL. It cant hurt to give it one more try.

Yeah lets give all the bust bums a chance 1st Alex Smith & now Lawson a chance in coordinators/coaches is wha these bums need huh?

GIVE ME A BREAK WHEN U SUCK YOU JUST SUCK DOESNT MATTER WHO TAKES OVER

move on the younger guys have at it by years end we wont care about Alex Smith nor Manny "SACKLESS" Lawson
Originally posted by niner4life21:
Thank God. Glad to get this so called 'beast' off this team. Most overrated player on the Zone.

The zone's;

Most overrated rush linebacker...

Most underrated defensive player.

If he is asking for anything reasonable we should give it to him, he still shuts down one side of the field's outside running lanes and can cover well on backs and TE's.
  • TJA85
  • Veteran
Originally posted by solidg2000:
My dream scenario would be Manny moving to Weak side OLB which was his natural side and he also would be playing behind a Pro Bowl DE Justin Smith. I've only Seen him line up as a weak side backer a handfull of times against the Cowboys and he got 2 sacks I believe. Then have Aldon Smith on the Strong side OLB

This, I always wondered why they didn't move Manny to the weak side. He could use his speed there behind J. Smith and probably would have been great. But then again, he does have good coverage skills to cover the TEs on the strong side.
Originally posted by lamontb:

This

Has anybody ever people say Clay Matthews, Lamar Woodley, James Harrison, Shaun Phillips, Tamba Ali, or Orakpo are good in coverage? Nope b/c they doing their jobs and sacking the quarterback. Folks haven't seen a real sack artists in so long that, we are happy that a guy is good in coverage when we don't need him in coverage. We need him to sack the quarterback, and play the run.

id rather take lawson who's good at stopping the run than haralson who gets a coverage sack here and there. i have nightmares of chris johnson going around haralson on fourth and goal constantly
Originally posted by lamontb:

This

Yeah im sorry but we have to erase the dbl standard for all players now. With Manny we have to be real, just like with VD. VD was the best blocking TE in the league over the past 2 years, but that wasnt what he was drafted for. Only now after years does he now get in on offense. And he still has some things to work on.

Manny is excellent in dropping into coverage, but in soo many games, we needed a rusher instead of an OLB dropping into the backfield. Our lack of pressure at QB, cost us a handful of games last year. Doesnt matter how many points your O does or doesnt score, because u cant stop the opposing team anyway.

So for the reason we drafted him, he just may well be in the Bust category. Which was, we drafted him to be a beast at sacking the Qb, not the best coverage line backer.

But hey, you never know, maybe Fangio will see sumthing in him, like supposedly Harbaugh does

[ Edited by Jersey9er on May 2, 2011 at 12:50:51 ]
Share 49ersWebzone